Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    Drive it like its hot!

Status

Hard Wire Road Angel 2 (RA2)

Hello people,

Has anyone hard wired the RA2 into their A3??

I have heard that finding a switched live is slightly harder than in the Golf. Heard of 2 options in the A3, the reversing light loom in the fusebox or there is the live feed from the HU.

Any suggestions from those that have fitted it??

Many Thanks
    C
    A3 170 TDi Quattro S-Line
    Misano Red - Armrest with GSM Phone Prep - iPod Connection - MFSW - Heated Front Seats - Rear Parking Sensors - RNS-E - Cruise Control

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I used the reverse light fuse as its only powered when the ignition is on.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Sepang Blue S3

Status
    Cigarette Lighter mate. Simple. My last A3 was hard wired to this. Run down the side trim / bottom door sill trim / under driver seat.

David
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

5th Gear

Status
    Cig lighter is permanent live though isnt it? Its easier to wire into the fusebox I reckon, as my detector sits rights above the fusebox you only need 12 inches of wire to do the job.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    you'll find several switched live fuses in the fusebox. This is what I use for switched live for my Nokia 610 phone kit, two nokia chargers, my Digital TV tuner and several other bits. As Isaac Hunt said cigarette lighter is a permanent feed. The only feed you will get from the head unit is permanent too. By taking a feed from the fusebox you can also use the bolt above it as an earth which saves running wires all over the place.

Just Looking

Status
    I would always advocate taking it from the fuse box. You can buy a repair wire with the terminal crimped on and insert that into the fuse panel to create a more professional looking job.
    Stu.

A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, Quartz Grey, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara with Silver Stitching & Heating, Nav High, B & O, AMI, DAB, Parking Advanced & Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated Electric Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Previous MY11 S3 Sportback Black Edition, S-Tronic, Ibis White.

I cant spell !

Status
    Marc is correct - always use the fuse box. My road angel 2 is hard wired in - took a feed from the fuse box. Open drivers doors look at dash by hinge area thats where the fuse box is .

I used some maplin push in connectors http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42727 (filed down to fit as I has some spare) and added these to the end of the orig road angel wire (and added an inline fuse - just to be extra safe) and pushed into the fuse box.

Hardest thing (nerve racking) is removing the A pilar trim to get a nice easy route for the wire

I've also got a pdf instruction set with more pic on - its written by someone on here for a TT but its pretty much the same - send me an email and will send it on if you like

Richard
    Last edited by richs2891; 30th October 2008 at 09:00. Reason: add link
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by richs2891 View Post
    Marc is correct - always use the fuse box. My road angel 2 is hard wired in - took a feed from the fuse box. Open drivers doors look at dash by hinge area thats where the fuse box is .

I used some maplin push in connectors http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42727 (filed down to fit as I has some spare) and added these to the end of the orig road angel wire (and added an inline fuse - just to be extra safe) and pushed into the fuse box.

Hardest thing (nerve racking) is removing the A pilar trim to get a nice easy route for the wire

I've also got a pdf instruction set with more pic on - its written by someone on here for a TT but its pretty much the same - send me an email and will send it on if you like

Richard
    i wonder if you could just confirm which number sockets you have plugged into?

Thanks

Miles
    2009- Phantom Black A3 S Line Black Edt 2.0T
    2008 - 2009 Emocian red Seat Ibiza FR TDi running p-torque stage 1 (STOLEN)
    2005 - 2008 Black Magic 1.4 Seat Ibiza Sport (PX ed)