EM TuningSky Insurance
    Stevie C

Status

Changing side light bulbs???

Ok, although the dipped and main headlight bulbs are not a problem to change the side light bulb is hard to get at with big fingers... does it just pull out or is there some magical way it is removed... grateful for any help?? the hand book says its a dealer job!
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Dolphin Grey |Loads of extras... & Mods...

Mods Fitted - Full Rieger Infinity Body Kit including Splitter | De Chromed Front Grills | Graphite RS4 19" Alloys |MK5 Golf GTI Brakes |S6 DRLs | Jetex Twin Tailpipe Exhaust | Revo Remap | TT FBMFSW |S3 Retro Pedals | S3 Air Vents | Diamond Front Component Speakers | Custom Parcel Shelf |Private Plate

Mods to be done - R32/R line Gear Knob | Interior Map lights |35% tints

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Dead easy, they just pull out. Use a pair of long nosed pliers and give the bulb holder a tug. I tried to swap mine for LEDS but for some reason they wouldnt work!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Stevie C

Status
    cheers Lee i will give it a go - Going to try Phillips Blue Vision to try and get a whiter light. Why wouldnt the LEDs work?

Mods Fitted - Full Rieger Infinity Body Kit including Splitter | De Chromed Front Grills | Graphite RS4 19" Alloys |MK5 Golf GTI Brakes |S6 DRLs | Jetex Twin Tailpipe Exhaust | Revo Remap | TT FBMFSW |S3 Retro Pedals | S3 Air Vents | Diamond Front Component Speakers | Custom Parcel Shelf |Private Plate

Stevie C

Status
    Spot on and what a difference, changed my sides and also dipped headlights for Blue Vision and they are so much whiter. Cheers for the info Lee.

6th Gear

Status
    I dont know why they didnt work to be honest, there was nothing wrong with them, they work in the wifes Seat Arosa!

I might get some blue visions then, in my old car i had Philips "power2night" and they were pretty good, definately an improvement.

6th Gear

Status
    what type of bulb did they replace? if it was a capless 501 type, it could be that they were in the wrong way. LEDs are directional where a normal bulb isn't. Try rotating them 180 degress in the holder and see if they work.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

6th Gear

Status
    Tried that, still no good! Weird as they work both ways in other cars.

3rd Gear

Status
    Pretty certain you need to wire a resistor in to get LEDs working. Have a quick search Lee as there are plenty of posts on the subect.
    Jon

Now A3 less......

6th Gear

Status
    on my old 8L A3 i bought LEDs to go with the S3 Xenons I fitted. The only worked fitted one way but I gave up as they blew too often. Looked real good with the Xenons
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Status
    Fitting the Philips BlueVision is fairly straightforward, although it does help using pliers as Lee R suggested. IIRC the left-hand headlamp was harder to work with because the airbox gets in the way.

LEDs may cause warnings on DIS because the lower current requirement causes it to think that a bulb has blown.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Stevie C

Status
    They were a bit fiddley but all sorted now.

Do you know a way of getting around the error on DIS if you use LED/DRLs??