Rear Wheels Rubbing with Aftermarket Alloys

g1pkn

Reaction score
Hi there can newbie here, can anybody help i have some new rs4 replica alloy wheels with a bit more offset than standard ones on a facelift s3 and the rears rub when driven a bit firmly :eyebrows:.

I have had a look and it seems as if it could be just a torque screw on the back bumper it just catches on ? Has anyone else had this rubbing when putting spacers on or using these replicas and does taking the screw out solve it or does that hold the back bumper on ? ?

Thanks in advance

Great site by the way been really helpful !

I had rubbing on the rear, so took the screw out and filed that bit down. Its done the trick :)

P.S. The screw isnt really holding the bumper on, well it is, but removing wont mean it drops down. The other screws hold it tight and its a very snug fit.

Ive had mine out for a good few months and the bumper is as tight as the day i removed it :)

See here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=56709

This is a daft question but did you file the head of the screw or take a chunk off the side of the screw ?

Would you file it or just take it out ?

I took the screw out completley, but where the screw sits, the bumper part protrudes, so i filed that down flush so it was flat all the way across, Now theres no rubbing :)

Hope this helps! - If not, take the screw out and have a look, all will become obvious :thumbsup:

Take the screw out completely, and file down the lug part of the platic bumper - no interference then

Thanks for your help, did a dremmel type tool do the job for you then ?

did you have to have your wheels off and the car in the air ?

do you think i could do it in situe ? ie leave the screw in and file both the side or the screw and plastic lug at the same time

I run with ET42 18x8 wheels and my car is tucking the tyre by about 10mm at the rear, I get no rubbing after (very neatly) massacring my rear arches, rolled them, cut away all of the material I possibly could etc etc etc..

I used..

One of these..

p4cube-dremmel.jpg

this..

hammer-1.jpg

And finally.. ;):)

Angle_Grinder.jpg

Jonny

Easy solution here. Stick the correct wheels back on. Why? Cos they are meant to be the ones to use.

Easy solution here. Stick the correct wheels back on. Why? Cos they are meant to be the ones to use.

If we all thought like we'd be running around in caveman suits, clubbing women, then dragging them off to our cave for a bit off nookie.

Runs off to put standard wheels on :undwech:

If we all thought like we'd be running around in caveman suits, clubbing women, then dragging them off to our cave for a bit off nookie.

Runs off to put standard wheels on :undwech:

ah the good old days :)