Remaps for the S3 -- RR first?

Timbo_S3

Reaction score
OK, so I have run through quite a number of threads on the various remap options, and the one thing that seems clear to me is that I would be well advised to run my std car on a RR first, as it seems many std cars yield above spec power/torque (obviously running the std RR first is good practice in any case to show the deltas associated with any tuning changes).

It's not too clear to me whether many people have done this beforehand, or have done it subsequently, by "switching off" the remap using a handset or laptop, so I'd appreciate any comments and experiences.

:salute: Great forum BTW...everyone seems to avoid the 'religious' zealotry/bigotry that so often happens when the term "remap" is raised :rolleyes:

Personally, l would have done the RR first but was to keen to get remapped. l can still do it due to the stock mode l can put my motor on.
Infact l was going to do just that in the next week.
l will also be asking the RR guys if they fancy doing a group RR session similar to the Prosport on that was just done. Possibly around february.

One should always remember that a less than honest Rolling Road operator can do various things to manipulate the results. You really need an independent RR with no interest in tuning the car you are driving.

Yeah, that's a fair point Chins - the science/physics behind a RR are very complex and power can be 'found' if the operator wants to, simply by changing a parameter on the RR that amplifies a cars performance.
The remap thing is well documented on here with GIAC and Revo seemingly most popular and outside of Iggu's issues with Bluefin others rate the Superchips option.
What options do you ahve in Oz?

From what I've seen Revo offers a big kick in the back and offers the option if messing around with Timing, boost and other parameters.
GIAC is a pretty smooth map and offers pretty much a similar curve to stock, but with more power and torque sooner.

Be interested to hear how this unfolds....

Yes, have been on RRs before (we call them dynos here:yes:) and I know about the manipulation. However, if you choose someone who has no stake in the game, and run the car before and after reasonably similar conditions, you should get a good measure of the deltas on your car, as well as the shape of the curve; the thing is not to get too hung up on absolute numbers, as that's the path to angst!

APR is probably most popular here, mainly because they have a very active distributor and some reasonable dealers; GIAC is probably next (although people will argue with my ranking for the sake of it) followed by REVO and SuperChips. There's also Unitronic, and Oettinger of course (now APR, AFAIK).

Have not found too many S3s, let alone those whose owners have even contemplated taking beyond stock, so really appreciate the input from up-over :beerchug:

lm on the RR on Friday for a pre and post run before upgrading fuel pump. Will post results.

I'm hopeless -- I can't even follow my advice :tocktock:

Sooo, I was making some inquiries about remaps, and became pretty convinced Bluefin was the way to go. So I got online to the Australian distributor, and in 10 minutes the deed was done. Next morning, the package arrives. I open it (mmediately you will realise at this point, I became no longer responsible for my actions :ermm:), read the instructions (takes about as long as this post).

So, of course, I connect it to the car, and it downloads the standard map, connect to the PC and off it goes to SuperChips. 8 working hours they say...that gives me time to set up a dyno appointment...which I do, for tomorrow, explaining I want to do a before and after run. No problems...all booked in.

Put down the phone, check email. One from SuperChips saying to connect for the remap. Hmmmm :whistle2: Oh well, may as well connect and download, no problem in that. So then I have a downloaded remap on my Bluefin. What's a man to do?!

Load it, of course! Let's face it, I was on the slippery slope when I connected it the first time. So, I connect the Bluefin, it uploads, lights flash, there's the odd beep...and finally silence...and darkness on the dash.

At this point I have rationalised and fully justified what I'll do. I do the first dyno run with the remap, then revert to stock. That's a plan!

Now, the S3 has a remap...aha!...that's right...run it in! So off I go, for a bit of a spirited drive.

Skiving off, and 100ks later I reckon that must have settled it in, so now I'm ready for the dyno tomorrow. More to follow...

Some observations: didn't feel a big push in the back the way I did when the Polo was REVO'd, but it's certainly more 'lively'. :w00t: However, I did observe the emission control warning light flash on each time (about 3 times) I went to the limiter. It went out after a few seconds. Is this normal? :rtfm: Can't find any reference in the emmanuelle

I did observe the emission control warning light flash on each time (about 3 times) I went to the limiter

this is becoming a common feature on here.

However, I did observe the emission control warning light flash on each time (about 3 times) I went to the limiter. It went out after a few seconds. Is this normal? :rtfm: Can't find any reference in the emmanuelle

That sounds like another dreaded misfire issue to me as the light comes on when this happens sometimes. Someone posted this on another thread.