Armrest's

eugegall

Reaction score
lets say i buy this S3 on a 57 plate.... where di i get them from and how much are they? i dont want some fancy thing. just a normal oe please lol

thanks

i think he is on about the armrest not the car...........

armrests can be retro fitted for around £150-200.

yeah must have completely forgotten the title, dohhh.

the cheapest place for armrests is audi.
there is a few other links on here where people have been looking and they are all around the 150 - 160 mark, then contacted the dealer and got them for between 130 - 140.
worth a call to your local dealer. ( MAKES A CHANGE )

Priced supply and fit at AUDI earlier this year and it came to around £240 iirc.

cheers
Paul

Funnily enough the same dealer said that retro fitting FBMFSW `impossible`.

alot of guys on here have debated on it, i think the problems with it lie with the airbag, the lastest ones require two signals for the explosion and the older cars only have one.
the armrest however is a doddle.

not true it doesnt require 2 signals for explosion, it has dual stage, so it effectively has two types of airbag explosions dependent on the impact, but what the retro fit does is it uses only 1 of the circuits in an impact so single stage, it isnt a problem just doesnt use both stages

"A dual-stage airbag has two inflator modules connected to one airbag. Each inflator module has a different power rating; say for example, a 70% charge in one inflator and a 30% charge in the other."

sorry
i was on the right lines surely.
read that it wasnt 100% and that people were unsure, only way to find out was to have a crash.
is this true nhn.

well when they say not 100% they mean it only uses a single stage, if the airbag wasnt going to work then you'd get airbag controller errors left right & centre as soon as you plugged it in, what others have said is they wouldnt wanna risk it not going of at all, tbh its not a risk cause one of the airbags will work for sure, the airbag firing system hasnt changed as far as I know, its just they base it on impact pressures I believe on the sensors behind the front reinforcement bar, so if its a light crash it protects your neck/head more from whiplash etc

yes for the people that question it then I guess they're right only way to please them it will work is when it goes of, but same principle as a new car if you think like this, how do you know the airbag works until you have a crash, lol, so no difference, you're taking audi's word for it that it works

now the determination of which circuit it uses would be by working out which circuit is which with the orange or green plug, one way to start is to unplug one & see if error comes up then we know which plug is using the circuit, then all we need to know is which explosion intensity the plug is representing which I'm sure elsawin or audi could tell us, but I feel perfectly safe it will go of ok

anyway NHN back on topic, armrest, did you fit your own or isnt there enough wiring involved. lol :p

lol, smart ****, lol, was from factory but had that out anyway, wanna see if I can do a retro of an A4 as that has the push button for lowering as I hate that ****** raise up to lower, its a real pain in rear, did an led in armrest mod on my S4, was cool at night when cant see ***** inside, yeah I kow you have lights above but hey it was free anyway of another armrest I had, only issue with mod onto a3 is its longer so might interfere with handbrake more, we'll see, ah also have to mod 8p bracket onto b6/7 armrest, why cant they put the electronic handbrake on the 8P now, ****** stupid handle in way all time.

But fitting armrest is a doddle, just cut out the top of the central console with a dremel, of course make sure you've already got the lower fixings for the armrest, then drop it through & bolt in place, rear ashtray on back of console slides out to get in to do bolt up, make sure when cutting out the top you just do it wide enough to slide bracket in as dont want hole showing round base of armrest.

Now I've got Elsawin working on Vista makes my life easier for wiring lol

i have the led in my armrest too.
i think the armrest / handbrake senario is *****, cant believe a company like audi let this happen, even the father in laws a3 8p does it, doesnt any of the audi designers own an audi with an armrest.
is that elsawin worth having mate, is it just part numbers?

i have the led in my armrest too.
i think the armrest / handbrake senario is *****, cant believe a company like audi let this happen, even the father in laws a3 8p does it, doesnt any of the audi designers own an audi with an armrest.
is that elsawin worth having mate, is it just part numbers?

whats the problem with it mate? what cant you believe?

when you have the amrest in the lower driving position, when you stop and apply the handbrake it hits the bottom of the armrest, nothing major,just anouying,bad design.

also as khufu states, it covers the handbrake to much.

i see. i can see how that would annoy! Shall i not bother or is it something i could live with?

lol in that case i will be buying one! im so lazy... you know how it is!

maybe it's just me, but I don't find it a problem at all. with the armrest positioned properly I'm still able to raise and lower the handbrake without having to move the armrest. the only person I've ever heard complain about the armrest position was my mother when she took my car for a test drive just after I bought it.

going by the results of my extensive polling it is clear that the only people that have a problem with the armrest position are women. make of that what you will!

going by the results of my extensive polling it is clear that the only people that have a problem with the armrest position are women. make of that what you will!

cheers marc

it must bring out my feminin side.
had a couple of audis now and the handbrakes all seemed to hit the armrest.
it must be cause your such a really really really good driver! LOL :p

nah just wants to be individual, lol

but tbh they could add the electronic version by now, its on all the other cars except the 8P

I went on a road trip a good few years ago with some fellow ASN members. One of the guys had an RS6 estate. He supposidly went for the whole trip with the handbrake left on (thought he would have seen the light?) not noticing due to armrest. Not that is seemed to impead his progress!

One of the guys had an RS6 estate. He supposidly went for the whole trip with the handbrake left on (thought he would have seen the light?) not noticing due to armrest.

I think that probably says more about the driver than the design doesn't it? was he wearing a dress at the time? Perhaps he thought it was for a hook for hanging his handbag on or something!

I think that probably says more about the driver than the design doesn't it? was he wearing a dress at the time? Perhaps he thought it was for a hook for hanging his handbag on or something!

dunno, I couldnt decide if Barry was a drugs dealer or not LOL

i bet your warming up the soldering iron up as we speak ! lol

i've had experince with the electric one on an A6. Its like an electric window switch, wasn't that keen to be honest.

no just means he knows how to drive properly at a roundabout, lol

marc
does that help bring down the insurance, whats involved?

30% discount with my insurer. you go out on lessons with an IAM certified instuctor and after a series of sessions you do a driving test with a current\former police driver.

well worth doing if you've been driving for a while. I would have considered myself a good safe driver before going on the course, but I was amazed at how many bad habits I had picked up. It has also helped improved my fuel economy by about 100-150km per tank - so it is worth it for that alone.

id be ok on the roundabouts but would probably fail on the hill starts with the armrest in the way and my high heels digging in the carpets.lol

id be ok on the roundabouts but would probably fail on the hill starts with the armrest in the way and my high heels digging in the carpets.lol

just show a bit of leg and you should be ok!

oh, and make sure you reset the rear view mirror after putting your make-up on. they like you to have the mirror in the right position so you can see what is behind you!