Continuous Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor Problem - PLEASE HELP!

emzino

Reaction score
I'll get straight to the point. In August the car was playing up which was closely followed up by an Engine Management light on the dash.

Symptoms were:

- Overly underpowered.
- Cold air through air con despite turning the temp as high as 26!
- Very rough drive with revs dropping sharply during gear change.
- Alot of rev play during idle.
- Fan at the front of the car would spin up extremely fast!

Took the car in to the garage and we hooked it up to a diagnostics tool. It came up with the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor.

So we changed it and it fixed the cold air through the air con but car was still rough and still under powered.

Took it in again with the same fault. Now there were 2 things that could be changed. The Engine Coolant Temp Sensor and the Thermo Stat Sensor.

So we changed the Thermo Stat Sensor too. It fixed the problems above for a very short while then I got the same symptoms again when just a couple of days ago the Engine Management light came on.

Took it in and the result was Engine Temp Sensor Circ. So basically the same thing. Gonna go through the whole car again incase it's a faulty sensor but could it be something we've missed?

The Air Mass Sensor & EGR Valve has been already changed in May so surely can't be that.

One other thing, recently I noticed a pattern with the car. During idle, the engine coolant temperature will slowly rise to 90, then the car will make a distinctive judder and the rev line will start bobbin up & down and that the same time the temperature will hit 0 (60). Friend at the garage said that it seems like it's saying that too much power is being fed to it. The fan at the front of the car still also spins up EXTREMELY fast despite the air con being off or on econ.

Sorry for the story, i've tried to keep it short but it's as if were coming out of ideas :shrug:

Please help! :(

Before you spend any money, check all the fuses and check the engine throughly for loose connection and split hoses....

Also, try resetting the car by disconnecting the battery for over 30mins.

But Id double check the temp sender as it keeps coming up and see how that goes!

Unfortunatly, not been with the A3 Long but my golf had similar symptons minus the fan and powerloss and it was the temp sender...

I'd look for a split hose too. That could affect the idle and maybe underpowered if the turbo isnt working properly due to an air leak? Its a major pain to sort when you get problems like these!!!

Ok we'll check all the fuses and the temp sensor again. We've already changed the turbo hose but will check to see if it's fitted properly.

I mean my friend at the garage is a cool guy. Clued up etc but he only runs it, doesn't actually do the work himself but he's gonna go through with it with me and the mechanics together to be sure.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated

Hi There, I have an a3 1.6se with exactly the same proble, do you remember what it was that fixed it it at all? and help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Nikki

which engine coolant sensor have you changed as there is 2? G62 and G83?

I changed g62, didnt solve it, think it may be the thermostat now, so getting a new on of them, but its electric one so it comes part of a housing for about £60

Mine still isn't completely solved.

It blows out hot air etc but, it's very weak. It doesn't blow out as fast as it used to. I give up =(