Looking to buy a A3 TDI

matbomb

Reaction score
Hi all, :hi:

I am looking to buy a 2.0L 3dr TDI A3 2005/2006 model (facelift) and have a few questions which I was hoping you peps could help???

The 2L version has a 140 BHP and the later models have 170BHP, are they completely different engines or is it the 140 chipped/remapped from factory?

How is reliability affected if a 140 is chipped? has anyone had problems? Are they worth chipping?

Any known common problems with the engine? I have read on that they can start to drink coolent through the bores :wtf:

many thanks :icon_thumright:

On the remap question there are loads of threads on this subject. In summary, very few people ever report a problem, and most love the power boost. There are a few stories of premature clutch wear, but few and far between.

Read the threads, talk to a few different companies and choose whichever you feel happy with.

I went with one of the group buys with Chipped Uk and it was great, but Revo, Superchips, GIAC etc. all have their following.

Power went from 152 to 192 (2.0 TDI 140) and torque went through the roof!!

Problems seem very rare, but I was very sceptical all the same. Must say though its some of the best money I have ever spent, and I'll do it again on every other car I own!!

There is a difference between the 2, the 170 uses a different fuel system, I don't think its the old pd system but the start of the CR system, the turbo is different and there are a few other tricks. The worst thing is the dreaded DPF that can become a problem. Both engines are good but the 170 is a touch more refined and will go to near enough 210bhp with a remap.

I'd drive both and see if you think the 170 is worth both the extra outlay and if the potential DPF issue would put you off. I have a 140 DSG with superchips map and its more than quick enough, if you go for the s line make sure your happy with the over firm suspension.

As far as I know a 2005/6 170bhp would still be a PD engine because the CR engines have only been released this year. If you do as the manual says and keep at a constant 2000 rpm in a particular gear I dont think the DPF is a problem just remember to do it an you'll be fine.

I Have the 140 and as soon as funds allow i'll be getting a Revo map because the only bad point I can find about them is that they are expensive but I'd rather have a reassuringly expensive box of tricks.

Have you thought of asking for a days test drive? MY dad was let loose with an A8 to test for a day. Mind you he does know the boss haha!

I have a 170 having had a 140 prior to this. The 170 is a much smoother and quieter engine and personally I've had no DPF problems at all. Both of mine have had the S-tronic gearbox which may make some difference.

I have got a 2007 170 Tdi as far as i know they are PD Engines are not CR
Much better engine than the 140 in my opnion, also with a good remap you will get 200+ bhp and so much Torque it is crazy and the MPG is also very very good....Oh and never had my DPF light come or any problems with it (just gone and jinxed it now havent i )

Thanks for all the replys peps :salute:

I have about a 12k budget so I think the 140 model is the realistic one with a remap or chip to be added.

What is DPF? :huh: An engine warning light??

Am I right in thinking the spoort has lower suspension and the S-Line has lower & stiffer suspension?

cheers again.

Diesel Partical Filter, it only affects the 170 at the mo, it gets blocked quickly on short journeys although milltek offer a bypass pipe now. Oh and your correct on the suspension differences.

I bought my A3 in June 08 for 11ish and its around 60k, FSH, mint condition etc etc.

I'd say for £12k, you could prbably pick up a facelift one but all the ones i seen for under 12500 were a lowd of crap...un-equal gaps, dents, scratches...basically abused ones that wouldnt sell.

Froma quick look on the net, there are a few about for under £12k but be carefull as they're a few sheds about.... I'd advide AA check (around £100), HPi or buy from a trader. 12k is the lower end of a facelift S Line budget.

In the end, i thought f-it and just went and bought a top of the line pre-facelift S-line and even got a DSG and it was lower mileage than all the ones i looked at but now that i have it, i kind of prefer the facelift as they're rarer than the singe grilled ones. And with a vortex lip, look reallly aggresive!

But overall, top cars, great mpg, really comfortable, good space and fun to drive and the only thing that has gone worng is the Intake manifold flap which sems to be a realitively common fault on all VAG cars....

HTH

Yeah I have noticed that 12k is the lower end for a face lift, but I'm not in a real rush as the A3 will be for the other half who has just sold her set of wheels (2001 306 :redface:) and she is now using my 2006 Navara while I work away. Really looking for the sport or the S Line which from what I can make of it arnt that different?

I Did go down the local Audi dealers today and saw a stunning 3dr black quarttro 07 reg for 16K but just abit over budget.... think I will buy private a get the AA check.