ESP, ABS and now Power steering warning

r10jdl

Reaction score
Hi all.

My ABS and ESP warning lamps came on over the weekend, (And they do not work ie. Wheel spin and no traction ctrl) then yesterday the power steering warning lamp lit. Steering is still assisted, but doesnt seem to centre/correct after turning (Make any sense?)

Has anybody had any experience of this?

Car is a 2004 1.9 TDi A3 Sport.

My garage thought it could be an alternator on the way out?

Thanks in advance.

Jim:(

have you had reason to disconnect the battery recently? you get the ABS, ESP and steering warning lights after disconnecting the battery.

They usually go away once you drive about 15-20 metres though.

If you've not disconnected the battery then chances are the battery is running low or that there is a loose terminal on the battery itself.

I've had the ESP and the ABS light up after gunning it while turning right over a mini roundabout ! Scared the hell out of me - but like you the ABS worked, both stayed lit for about 15 mins and then reset them selves, never had it again.
Not sure if the battery was low - it could have been as thinking about it, I do a fair bit of stop start journeys, lights on, heater or A/C on etc.
Richard

Richard

Thanks for your replies.

Haven't managed to get it my garage yet. (He's down a man, and v busy)

The ABS and ESP are NOT working. Disconnected the battery after the warnings came on to check fuses etc. But lamps still lit.

My mechanic mentioned that when the alternator is failing it shuts down non essential services ie ESP, ABS, PAS until there are no services left and it dies.

Does that makes sense?

Thanks again.

Jim:blackrs4:

Yes, when the battery is running low it does kill all non-essential services - sort of the way the enterprise used to divert all power to the shields! usually the first thing to go will be the radio and interior\exterior lighting though.

It is not the alternator that shuts down the services - but the alternator will be the cause as it is not charging the battery fully.

You should have no trouble starting the car in the mornings as the battery should have built up enough charge, but during the day after driving round for a bit does it take a bit of effort to get it started?

there was a little plug attached to the backside of my glovebox that caused basically every single warning to go off in my S3 when detached...
i found this when driving with the glovebox half attached when tweaking my tv tuner...
didnt drive it anywhere near hard enough to know if the services continued working.
im imagining in my case i had disconnected the canbus wires... (the speedo/tacho also showed zero)

Well passenger airbag deactivation cable/plug is also on rear of glovebox, but that shouldnt affect anything that his car is showing.

The can gateway is behind the glovebox so that could be the cable that was disconnected but if thats down I cant imagine anything working as thats the main hub for the car comms

Hi,

I have the same issue, ESP and PAS warning lights showing after my car battery was disconnected yesterday! How can I solve this? Is it as simple as battery replacement?

Hi,

I have the same issue, ESP and PAS warning lights showing after my car battery was disconnected yesterday! How can I solve this? Is it as simple as battery replacement?

Just drive the car a couple of hundred yards and the lights will go out !

Mike,

This hasn't happened I even drove the car for the 30 miles as to recharge the battery but warning lights still on! Do you think a new battery will be the answer or something more expensive!! :(

You need to get the car scanned for faults then. It is normal for those lights to come on every time you have a battery disconnect. You may need to clear the faults first. Don't think a new battery will make any difference.

Go to the VCDS user map section of the forum and find a member near you who will scan it for you and clear the faults. Then see if the lights go out. If not, the fault codes will point you in the right direction !

+1 you need to get the codes read. Sounds to me like the ABS module has failed though, not only does it control ABS and ESP but also has inputs into the steering as well. Could just be it needs re-adapting.

+1 you need to get the codes read. Sounds to me like the ABS module has failed though, not only does it control ABS and ESP but also has inputs into the steering as well. Could just be it needs re-adapting.
Sounds expensive!! There was no issue though before I had the jump start on my battery! 

I only guessing but you wont know anything without codes being red on it.

Reactions: Andy Pipe