Audi Custom Paint @ £2400

DaveS3Turbo

Sepang Blue S3
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am ordering my new S3 in a custom colour. Does anyone know how paint is made etc or how they get the paint codes.

What it is, is that I have a computer image of what I want, and trying to portray this is proving difficult. Is it possible to create a pearlescent paint code If i go to the audi bodyshop and create exactly what I want and then relay this to the factory as a paint code.

Does the pearlescent carry accross.

Hope you can help, as I'm not too clued up on the paint etc.

My question is do you think the audi bodyshop could replicate this to some kind of paint code for Germany. I have also e-mailed audi exclusive this colour. The dealer is most helpful spending time + speaking to audi UK

David

s3greennew.jpg

not a fan of green david

Did you get inspiration from the Mazda 3 David??? It's a great colour on that car.

I don't know how they get the paint codes but I would assume you could get a paint code from another car if you can and then spec pearlescent coating.

Or an Audi approved body shop may be able to mix it as you want and code it for the factory but I'd be suprised if they were willing to do this for free, especially as the body shop may be from a different group than the Audi dealership.

hi mate, im not sure how the paint codes work but i absolutely love it, totaly different, have you thought about this colour with a black roof, would look very nice, cheers mark

David - have you thought about asking Audi UK to contact Lamborghini for paint codes?
They have several hues of Green that look similar (in my eyes) to the green you're after.
Part of the VAG group too ;)

I wasn't aware lambo did variations of green, just thought there was this lime green. I'm thankful for al yuor help. I just want to be different like my Orange car I had.

Can anyone confirm the varations of green.

lambolite.jpg

David,

Try contacting these guys:
http://www.lamborghiniservice.co.uk/bodyshop.asp

They are based in High Wycombe and are very highly regarded, even McLaren send their customers F1 supercars here for paint work and Paul dalton pf Miracle Detail directs his customers here for work.

They should be able to help answer some of your questions mate.

Let us know how you get on mate.

J

Gotta say I actually like it as its so different from the norm, as is the orange, like the thought process as colour is a happy medium where as blacks greys dont really do much for yer, kinda depressing tbh, I'd rather walk out each day & be greeted with a bright coloured car than dark, I know my car isnt bright coloured but at the time it was exactly what I was looking for interms of spec, if I had this choice then I'd do the same.

Looks pretty good mate....go for it all the way!!!

I thought you'd settled on the VW viper green? Is that not a real colour they can work with? Does the dealer not know the process involved with ordering a special colour? I'd imagine they would have to show you a sample paint card for you to sign off. If the car turns up and you don't like the colour, where do you go from there?

I've seen the viper green and it doesn't look great.

What do you think between the colour we have photoshopped and the lambo greens?

I havent been able to find all the lambo green colours / hues.

It would be easier to pick a lambo paint code rather than design your own.

David

I think your 'shopped colour is a lot better than the lambo green. I've seen it in the flesh and it's not a great colour.

But aren't there different greens as the above pics. David
I do like the shopped colour too but the process to get there it 110% more difficult.

Looks the same as the S3 I saw in the dealers, spoke with the girl who specced the car and she told me it was Java green and is a Audi colour not sure if it's pearlescent or not though.

Mark

Simple case of Marmite really...

AND I LOOOVE IT.

Try getting the roof in black as well as the wheels done black...

My god! I wouldn't be paying extra to have it sprayed green!!!

holy crap... I love that!!

Again, like the orange, wouldnt have it myself but it looks great.

Someone has a green 8L on the stand this weekend... looked really well.

hmmm not sure . found this picture this morning , This isnt photoshop !
IMG_0219.jpg

That s5 looks to be in Kawasaki racing green hahaha!

I have ben to lambo Manchester today to look at the colour of Ithica Verde Paint Cod *0077.

However audi bodyshop in Preston thnk they can match my colour, can they make a colour pearlescent? Do you think the image looks pearl above in my orginal thread post.

lambo.jpg

lambo2.jpg

no... dont think that first one you posted looks pearl... more lacquered.

david imo this pearl green is a supercar colour . It really doesnt suit the S5 above . but then again our gallardo is orange and that suits the s3 ...

I just don;t know whether to go for a lambo green and be confident of the outcome or let audi try and make some sort of paint code to match the photoshop colour.

David

I'm sure that S5 is not a lambo colour. It looks very solid and matt. The lambo one I saw today was very pearl / shiny, but not as GREEN as my photoshop colour.

Daviud

Picture i took at the motor show
P1020181.jpg

Saw this few weeks ago
IMG_0170.jpg

I wonder what that green is in my last lambo pictures.

Sorry mate, looks all a bit MaxPower to me.
It wont be my car so if you like it , go for it.
If there was a ASN balls of steel award you would be contender number 1 IMO.

cheers
Paul

Have you tried emailing lambo with the pic?
It deffo looks a brighter green than some of the others....

Ok, you ask about custom colours.

You can mix your own paint up at a shop and keep the recipe. Basically, paint is mixed by cumulative weight of various base paints on a particluar scheme.
You could speak with Audi and ask which paint manufacturer they use or ask if for custom paint any scheme will do. If they identify the paint supplier for you, eg ICI, Glasurit, PPP, Standox etc, then you can find a shop with said scheme, mix up some test colours until yo are happy, then supply the recipe mix to the manufacturer.

Otherwise, I suspect "custom colours" may be another manufactrer stock colour from a library, maybe some RAL colours or even "here is a sample of my gof bag, I want my car same colour" and they find a close match.

You need to ask your dealer!

I have and they mentional ICL or something like that, can't remember.
I just want a green like orgina post or like the darker greens in lambo.

David

I have e-mailedto 2 x lamborghini dealers and 1 x service dept.