Buying and Service Advice

Reffio

Reaction score
Folks.

Just wondering if anyone can help me with some advice. I've searched the forum for a buying guide and can't find anything that fits the bill (nothing worse than repeated questions so sorry if there is something out there).

I'm looking for an A3 and going to test drive a 2004 2.0 TDi 140 on sunday. Any tips on what to look out for etc?

Also a question on servicing (again I searched the forum but was struggling to get an answer in the posts i read) - from what I can see the timing/cam belt needs done after around 60,000 miles however I've seen other mentions of 4 years as well. Can anyone confirm whether it needs done after 4 years even if the car is only 39k or if it is a case of wait till the major service?

Thanks in advance,
R.

Check for white residue in the oil cap.

Yes, af far as I know, it will need changing after 4years even if the car has only done 39k.

Hi, i have just been told by Audi that tha cam belt replacement time as been altered to 5years or 75k for your model, check with your local Audi service , hope this helps,also check for any coolant leaks this was an issue on the early models, caused by pourous cylinder heads very expensive,

Thanks Alnes. What are the signs I need to look out for that would give away coolant leakage??

The car on Sunday was no use so the search goes on...

Hi very difficult you could check header tank if fresh water with very little anti freeze means topped up regular? check water level in tank ? or warning lights on dash? good luck with you search, what exactly are you after & budget regards Alan

Hi Reffio,

I'm on the hunt for a similar car too at the moment. I'm after a low - mid mileage 2004/2005 A3 2.0 TDi s-line DSG.

I'll throw up any useful info I come across into the thread...

I know the DSG box needs to be serviced every 40K miles I think, and I'm nearly sure I read somewhere that the t-belt is due at 80K not 60K. But TBH 60 is prob more realistic.

Anyone know if the main dealers 'Approved Used Car Programme' would cover the service basics before the car is sold on?

Alnes,
thanks for the tips.
Got a budget of around 10k - thought about using it as a deposit for something new but the way things are just now having no car payment seems like a sensible idea. Always fancied an A3, probably diesel but got an open mind just now.

RS84,
yeah would be good if you share any useful info you come across. Good luck with the car hunt - hope you find something that fits the bill. I'm gonna go have a hunt around some of the local garages this weekend so keeping the fingers crossed.

Happy hunting!

(I'm still trying to sell what I have at the moment, ugh)