help on replacing rear discs

khalil

Reaction score
hi can anyone help me on this, i need to change the rear discs, the guy who is going to change them for me said that i have to change the bearings aswell, he said when you change the rear discs on the a3 you have to change the bearings too, is that true? or is it just a simple disc change

hi m8, im pretty sure its just a disc swap

cal

ye that what i thought too, but his pretty sure that the bearings needs doing when you change the discs, his going to take off the wheel to confirm for 100%
have you changed your rear discs?

did the rear brakes on my old A3 and they are attached the same as the front brakes, Im guessing the 8P is the same setup so unless they are noisy or rough I wouldnt be changing them.

why do you need the discs changed? judder? worn? Make sure that the slides and pistons on the calipers are all cleaned and smooth as they are more likely to stick a bit due to being used less than the front.

Maybe he just looking to make more money off you. I'd be looking for another mechanic....LOL

did the rear brakes on my old A3 and they are attached the same as the front brakes, Im guessing the 8P is the same setup so unless they are noisy or rough I wouldnt be changing them.

why do you need the discs changed? judder? worn? Make sure that the slides and pistons on the calipers are all cleaned and smooth as they are more likely to stick a bit due to being used less than the front.

Maybe he just looking to make more money off you. I'd be looking for another mechanic....LOL
well the rear discs have a grove in them so i will need new discs, i used him for many years, his also a close family friend so i do trust what he is saying, but his not 100 % sure about the bearring thing,he will know once he takes off the wheel, so i was just wondering if any of you guys have changed the rear discs, so i know for sure what is involed

i think he is getting mixed up because on some older cars the rear disc housed the wheel bearing just like the drum brake housing, if this is the case the the bearing may get damaged when being taken out to transfer into the new disc.

nowadays the design is different the bearing is seperate to the disc, i recently changed the rear bearing on my GF's Golf and the bearing was seperate and also cost £70 as its a sealed unit and i would guess the A3 one is a similar if not the same design.

this'll help you.

the rear bearing is a seperate part of the system, the brake disc bolts onto the hub which housing the wheel bearing.

hope this helps.

rearbrake.jpg

this'll help you.

the rear bearing is a seperate part of the system, the brake disc bolts onto the hub which housing the wheel bearing.

hope this helps.

rearbrake.jpg
oh cheers mate thanks ever so much for that, now thats all cleared up, top work mate