NEW JBS 2.0 TFSI Garrett GT28 Cast Manifolds

JBS Sales

Reaction score
Website
www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk
2.0 TFSI Garrett GT28 Cast Manifold

The JBS developments has been busy working on a new range of cast manifold, alongside the Garrett GT28 manifold, there will be a Twin Scroll and IHI stage one manifolds to fit the 2.0 TFSI. JBS will also be producing the new designs in tubular form.

JBS will produce the tubular manifold, but due to a drop in manufacturing quality the new tubular designs will be produced in house. The new designs concentrate more on collector efficiency, eliminating port sharing and increase ease of fitment.

Once the process of designing the cast manifolds started, it became a lot easier to produce manifolds to suit other turbos and fit other engine types. Having the new manifolds cast gives better quality to mass production and gives fewer constraints on the pipe bend radiuses, allowing the runner to flow freely.

The manifold has been designed in CAD to optimise the collector, runner flow capabilities and to enable easier fitment. The CAD process allows the designers at JBS to manipulate the part quickly and while allowing information and measurements to be taken easily, which would be physically impossible to do by hand.

pic11.jpg

pic2.jpg

The design initially takes a similar shape to the new 1.8T IHI stage one manifold with the runners all being tweaked for the casting process to give the greatest flow.

pic9.jpg

[/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr313/JBS_Development/ManifoldFP/GarrettT28IHI5.jpg%5b/IMG"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr313/JBS_Development/ManifoldFP/GarrettT28IHI5.jpg[/IMG[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]The new design flows the gasses through a close to 90 degree angle before they enter the collector. Changing the direction of the flow in such a way gives better directional flow of the gas into the turbine, as well as defeating port sharing. Port sharing occurs on many of the flat manifold designs produced by other companies and leads to turbulence in the runners.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Once we were happy with our design it was sent off for rapid prototyping to give us a physical model to evaluate before any design finalisation can take place. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][IMG]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr313/JBS_Development/20tfsi%20forum%20pics/pic8.jpg

pic6.jpg

JBS has chosen to cast its manifolds in a very high quality UK based foundry which is used by the likes of Borg Warner and many other OEM turbo suppliers to ensure the castings are of the highest quality. To reflect the high quality casting, we have chosen the same material as the hot side of the turbochargers. D5S ni-Resist is a cast iron with high nickel content has the following properties: resistance to corrosion, resistance to oxidisation and high temperatures, resistance to wear and erosion. This is to ensure a minimal amount of thermal expansion and an equal rate of thermal expansion to the turbo housing, this again minimises the potential for thermal fatigue.

pic3.jpg

Once the first batch of manifolds is produced, they shall be thoroughly tested and dyno’d. At which time all power and flow figures will be released. Once all testing is completed and we are happy with the results we aim to release the manifolds at £420 including VAT.

Other cast manifolds going into production are a Garrett GT28 and IHI stage one manifolds to fit the 1.8T. As well as having K04 and Twin Scroll manifolds going through our design process and rigorous testing and hope to be able to bring them to you as soon as possible.

Very interesting. Your offering seems to have more distinctive bends (and longer path) compared to APR or VF Engineering's gt28 manifold, mind sharing why?
http://www.goapr.com/images/20ts3_exhaust_manifold.jpg
http://www.vf-engineering.com/images/20tmidpics_f02.jpg

I'd be interested to go for a gt28 upgrade next year (it's all your fault johnny!), though would prefer a complete package (i.e. with software), mainly because there's no local expertise to custom map the car if I got anything non-standard.

lol, do it mate!! Go with the RS/S kit and you wont be disappointed!!

These manifolds will come in handy in a couple of years once the cars cheapen up a bit and guys are building up big turbo 2.0T in there shed.. Like what happens with the 1.8T now..

Still, good to see that the development of aftermarket engine components is being pushed along by companies like JBS :)

Jonny

yea, though I'd stop at the the rss equivalent stage, still debating between VF and APR to be honest. Would really not want to touch the internals of this engine.

On the 2.0t big turbo scene though, there seems to be quite a number of golfs running about in GT30 (and even gt35 kits) in the US, some even homebrew! Reckon JBS could really find a market there. (or if they already have, my bad for not noticing)

Regal have done 3 RS/S S3's so they know exactly whats involved with the conversion (there are a number of tweeks for the kit to fit with the S3)

Yeah I know, ATP do turbo kits, manifold, turbo, downpipe and people are running around with them, a revo guy in the US has just made 450+WHP with a GT3071R turbo, but he sourced his own parts, lots of fabrication, plus the software he wrote himself.. Oh and pistons and rods, he built the engine himself.. etc etc..

AND hes running with a standard DSG gearbox.. Hows about that!!

Still, very impressive numbers!!

Very interesting. Your offering seems to have more distinctive bends (and longer path) compared to APR or VF Engineering's gt28 manifold, mind sharing why?
http://www.goapr.com/images/20ts3_exhaust_manifold.jpg
http://www.vf-engineering.com/images/20tmidpics_f02.jpg

I'd be interested to go for a gt28 upgrade next year (it's all your fault johnny!), though would prefer a complete package (i.e. with software), mainly because there's no local expertise to custom map the car if I got anything non-standard.

The difference between the JBS manifold and APR's the collector design.
APR split the flow in the collector much like the OEM versions.

The JBS manifold is designed to allow greater and easier flow, so the runners change the direction of the exhaust gasss before they enter the collector. This reduces the turbulent flow in the collector and helps with spooling.

As for runner length there isn't much difference, if any, it is all down to the bends in the runners.

The 2.0 TFSI manifold will be availiable as a single item or as part of the JBS Garrett GT28 RS stage 1 kit.

Which like are other JBS turbo kits is availiable with the appropriate software upgrades.

JBS Developments

JBS, is this manifold available as a straight OEM replacement with OEM turbo, or is it for your upgraded Garretts only? What sort of power increases or characterisitc changes are we looking at for this in an OEM installation?

JBS, is this manifold available as a straight OEM replacement with OEM turbo, or is it for your upgraded Garretts only? What sort of power increases or characterisitc changes are we looking at for this in an OEM installation?

This manifold is for upgrades only. JBS offers a Garrett and IHI upgrade options for OEM fitting.

We are also in development of equal length top mount upgrades, as well as other turbo options- Twin scroll and Garrett GT30.

The 2.0 TFSI OEM manifold is cast into the hot side of the turbo.

So it is not possible to replace OEM manifold and keep the turbo in the case of the 2.0 TFSI, unlike the 1.8T.

JBS Developments