Help please - re Audi Bose Map

adamshaw

Reaction score
It appears as if my Amp for Bose sound system is broken, i have an Audi S3 2002. Ive spoke to Audi and they charge £457 for a new amp, does anyone know where i can buy a new amp, i think the part number is 8LO035381H. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I'd check ebay seen a few bose amp's on there for sale and alot cheaper around £300
hope this helps
I have had a look, and i can find Audi bose amps but none of them appear to be the one i have, is it just a case of waiting till one comes up on ebay or is there some where other than audi i can go to buy one..

Thanks again

You just need to bide your time there's usually at least one on there (none at the moment though).
Whats wrong with the current amp? Send it to me I'll fix it for a tenner!

Couldnt find any thign on the net. You tried contact bose them self see if they sell it? The thing about ebay when you want some thing it wont be there and when you dont its there. I'd wait a bit because ebay do normal have some and at a cheaper price. Sorry wasnt able to help. But whats the problem with the amp?

Thanks for your help, by a stroke of luck i know someone that is selling an s3, and said he would take the amp of for me so i can have it today! but for £150, im thinking of getting it. or should i wait?

Have checked with Bose earlier, they say you have to buy through Audi only. As do a few car stereo places ive spoke to. Audi have got it locked down!!

Thanks for your help, by a stroke of luck i know someone that is selling an s3, and said he would take the amp of for me so i can have it today! but for £150, im thinking of getting it. or should i wait?

I'd get it sounds like a good deal. Do you knwo if its in full working order? Its a risk if you wait could be waiting a while

Yep, all worked on the car it was in, do u think i need to disconnect the battery b4 chaging the amp over?

I realise my responses are invisible but that's totally overpriced, you can get the whole Bose system for that money. I'd wait a few days, one will come up, there's usually a few to choose from as well.

I realise my responses are invisible but that's totally overpriced, you can get the whole Bose system for that money. I'd wait a few days, one will come up, there's usually a few to choose from as well.

Haha, class :laugh:

Andy's totally right on all posts, you can find a Bose amp easily for fair bit below £457, also as he has advised the whole system for £300 or less even, so dont even bother going to audi fella

I'll see if my german mates got any.

Ah just read again, why is this in the 8P section guys, its an 8L, needs moving maybe to 8L or Ice, J?

Buy it Now for £60, bargain. What's the guy with the S3 going to do without a Bose amp? Ah yes buy one for £60 and make £90 profit, I like his style......

Ah its now clearer to me, who tries to sell an S3 without a working sound system

Right guys, thanks for all your advice, got the new amp and plugged it in but made no difference, so didnt buy the amp (of which was def working on the car it was taken out of)/ So the problem i have is that the stereo is fully working, turns on takes CD etc, but there is no sound, except really quietly out of the front passenger speaker. ANy suggestions as to what is wrong?

I'm sure Andymac will give you the answer to this but it could be the transistor in the output channel of the head unit?
I know f-all about car stereos if i'm honest but i'm not bad with hi-fi and i know a lot about guitar amps....so same principle really i suppose. If the thing switches on, your power amp (in the HU) is fine. If no sound is coming out and the BOSE amp is working then it's the output stage in the HU which is ********. No idea how much that is to get fixed or if it's even worth it?

Does the sub work at all? The sub is separately amped (inside the tupperware enclosure). If the sub isn't working either then it obviously isn't a faulty Bose amp, as you've just found out.
I doubt it's a HU fault as the front and rear pre-outs are completely separate. First obvious things to check are:
1. Is there 12v on the perm live to the amp (thick red cable)
2. Is the amp getting the 12v trigger from the HU to turn it on?

Both easily checked with a 12v testing screwdriver. If the perm live is dead then check the fuses, if the 12v trigger is dead then you need to pull the HU and test it again at the HU connection.
Chances are it's just a fuse, I'm assuming with the volume jacked up there is no hiss from the cabin speaker tweeters, or anything to indicate the amp is switching on?

Thanks for that i will check that and come back to you, however my brother who took the amp out of the other S3 said when he took the amp out, the stereo still played with sound although quieter than with the amp. Whereas mine isnt making any sound at all. I will follow your recommendations and see where i get, thanks for all your help.

When the volume is turned up full there is no hiss from any speakers, but can faintly hear the music from just the front left speaker for some reason

Thanks for that i will check that and come back to you, however my brother who took the amp out of the other S3 said when he took the amp out, the stereo still played with sound although quieter than with the amp.

The sub would have been the only thing making a noise, and as it's not a proper sub you would still be able to make out the tune i.e. it wouldn't be just thump thump like a proper sub.

Right, have followed all your helpful advice, and these are the results i have - Red wire leading from the stereo to the Amp has 6V whether stereo on or off, Red & white wire has 12v from stereo to amp wether stereo on or off, brown wire (labelled Bose) running from stereo to amp dosnt seem to do anything (0V) at all im assuming this is supposed to be the trigger wire?

Thanks for your help again.

Doubt it, brown is universally "earth" even on an Audi. So none of the connections provide 12v switched with HU?

Yes, but what about the switched 12v trigger (remote on) to turn the amp on. You need to ensure the amp is getting a 12v trigger from the HU. 12v with HU on, 0v with HU off.
I don't have the pinouts of the Bose cabin amp, but here is the one for the Bose sub, so you can check the 12v trigger on the sub first just to rule out whether this is the problem (it's the pin called "remote on"). For both amps to fail my money is on the trigger not working.
BosePinouts.jpg