Alloy Wheel Help

Scotty_J

Reaction score
I've got a silver 3dr 1.6 Sport and i'm thinking of changing the wheels, S line 18" 5spokes would fit the bill perfectly, but thinking outside the box what do people suggest? BBS would be nice but dont fancy spending a grand on some wheels!

Also, whats better, 18" or 19"? and what offset? and should i steer clear of replicas?

Cheers :)

What sort of price you looking on spending?

Depends on price of replicas you can get some good ones for £500+
But also get some really poor ones

What sort of price you looking on spending?

Depends on price of replicas you can get some good ones for £500+
But also get some really poor ones

i'm not too sure really, probably wont go below £500 but dont want to be spending £1000

not 19's as you'd need a air cushioned asse for sure, lol.

I always & still think the best wheels on an 8P are the RS6 wheels, larger spokes just suit the car styling, MattAndrew for example has & I cant see anything better on his car, personal pref though

not 19's as you'd need a air cushioned asse for sure, lol.

I always & still think the best wheels on an 8P are the RS6 wheels, larger spokes just suit the car styling, MattAndrew for example has & I cant see anything better on his car, personal pref though

thanks for the advice matey, less spokes=easier to clean lol

I agree rs6 looks good and the rs4 ones also look good on a3 also some vw golf alloys look good on a3

And with the price range should be able to get some good alloys. I like some of the new alloys on some a3 i've seen going around

yea, i'm going to have a good shop around, cheers guys :thumbsup:

Well i've pretty much decided on some S-Line RS6 style alloys for my A3, does anyone know if i will have problems fitting A4 S-Line wheels onto my A3? 235/40/18 the tyres are, ET43. Is the offset different on the A4 S Line wheels to the A3 S Line wheels? Dont want to pod out if they're going to catch!!

Cheers

the fronts will catch the arch.

my wheels are a4 dtm's with 235 tyres on.

DSC00875.jpg

i am going to try some 225 tyres though. Apparantly they will then just fit :p

I think the offsets people run are around 45-54 on the 8p.

There are many threads on the forum on this subject, and I've read most of them many times as I've changed my wheels recently.

Try this thread: -
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58002

I've tried to document my experience, so maybe it can help others.

The 'classic' A3 wheel upgrade seems to be to use RS6 wheels from an A4/A6 which are 8.0 x 18 ET43. Most people fit 225/40/18 tyres to these. The great advantage of this is that you get to use genuine Audi wheels. Some of the cheap replicas get a bad rep. and maybe should be avoided (you get what you pay for etc.). Genuine wheels can easily be sourced from this website or Fleabay.

As standard, the A3 is fitted with ET56 wheels, so the new wheels will stick out further but this is not a bad thing. At the front ET43 is absolutely spot-on, but at the back it could do with 5/10mm spacers just to complete the 'look' (I've yet to do this), although it's not essential.

Any offset lower than ET43 will stick out past the front wheel arch and will look too boy racer IMHO.

You can also lower the car safely on this set-up. Mine is now lowered on Eibach Sportlines (approx. 45mm lower from standard) with no rubbing even when loaded.

Beware though, if you want to lower the car a serious amount using coilovers etc., an offset of around ET50 is more appropriate (look at BOYDIE's car if you want to go down this route).

Search for pictures from DEANPHOTO. His white A3 1.6 looks superb on 18" RS6's and Eibachs.

There are many threads on the forum on this subject, and I've read most of them many times as I've changed my wheels recently.

Try this thread: -
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=58002

I've tried to document my experience, so maybe it can help others.

The 'classic' A3 wheel upgrade seems to be to use RS6 wheels from an A4/A6 which are 8.0 x 18 ET43. Most people fit 225/40/18 tyres to these. The great advantage of this is that you get to use genuine Audi wheels. Some of the cheap replicas get a bad rep. and maybe should be avoided (you get what you pay for etc.). Genuine wheels can easily be sourced from this website or Fleabay.

As standard, the A3 is fitted with ET56 wheels, so the new wheels will stick out further but this is not a bad thing. At the front ET43 is absolutely spot-on, but at the back it could do with 5/10mm spacers just to complete the 'look' (I've yet to do this), although it's not essential.

Any offset lower than ET43 will stick out past the front wheel arch and will look too boy racer IMHO.

You can also lower the car safely on this set-up. Mine is now lowered on Eibach Sportlines (approx. 45mm lower from standard) with no rubbing even when loaded.

Beware though, if you want to lower the car a serious amount using coilovers etc., an offset of around ET50 is more appropriate (look at BOYDIE's car if you want to go down this route).

Search for pictures from DEANPHOTO. His white A3 1.6 looks superb on 18" RS6's and Eibachs.

thanks for all the help mate, do you reckon i would be ok with 235/40/18 tyres on ET43 RS6 wheels off an S Line A4? i think they'll be ok...?