Regal Rolling Road day - The Results!

Hi Guys,

The comparison of plots are interesting and I think probably help to show that the dyno plot of mine is a bit off the mark. The torque curve, apart from a different style of power delivery, is virtually no higher than standard according to the plot - yet in real life I can assure you there is a pretty noticeable increase, playing around the local bypass earlier it is surprising how much it pulls now in 3rd and 4th. The plot itself is pretty accurate I think, can feel the lull around 4krpm then it comes on stronger, which I might have to look into.

Not sure why the dsg should be problematic, it will only kick down if you push the pedal past the stop and click the switch, otherwise it will stay in gear until the redline. I'm sure Regal know that ;) Presumably differences will creep in with different cars and different gear ratios, final drive ratios etc; I assume the Dyno only thinks it knows what rpm the engine is from the speed of the rollers multiplied by a constant, and everything between there and the flywheel is variable car to car.

Regal made it clear to me that the torque figures from DSG has been problematic based on past runs - this led to variable past results showing inaccurate torque figures.

My standard TFSI was run twice achieving 213.8 & 213.9 ftlbs - pretty nigh on standard.

However, it took them approx 5 attempts to achieve this. The problems were that Regal wanted consistency from all cars on the day - 100mph in 4th gear to calibibrate, which is hard to achieve with the DSG due to its inability to hold the revs at the redline. Perhaps the calibration on your run wasn't perfect, leading to an inaccurate result.

I'd fully expect a GIAC'd TTS to match the BHP & torque of a GIAC'd S3

BTW your car looked stunning :drool:

As I understood it, they calibrated each run by running the car up to 60mph so that the dyno (which uses a light beam measuring teeth on the rollers) knows what revs match the speed of rotation of the rollers. To my mind, this isn't likely to be as accurate as using a feed from the OBD port or other connection as mitch mentions. They also mentioned something about a belt between the front and rear wheels to me, which just confused me even further :uhm:!

I'm going to see if I can go back to another RR close to me that I have used before and see if I can get some comparison figures, as I just have some concerns about the variability that most people (although admittedly not Gareth) were getting.

Phil

OK, here's the big one that you've all been waiting for (well Andy & Jamies anyway :box:!). How does the GIAC compare with the Revo Stage 2...

I've chosen Jamie's car, as his is obviously the only GIAC that was aclimatised to the GIAC).

Power

GIACvsRevoStage2-Power.jpg

Torque
GIACvsRevoStage2-Torque.jpg

It certainly shows up Andy's curious dip between 5000 and 6000rpm :search:!

Phil

So basically my car at 5500rpm is better than Andy's :jump:
For about 250rpm :crying:

In all seriousness Andy's car does have a bucket load more in the mid range but I guess you'd expect that with the exhaust. Useful to see.

Phil - give me a shout when you're going to your other rolling road - I may pop along with you to get some more comparison figures.

Well thanks for arranging the day, I popped accross being a local and all that (but not local to the actual area of Regal thank God its a dump around there lol):no:

It was good to talk to fellow petrol heads and share story's etc and it was nice to have a good poke around those gloryfied Golf's of yours :laugh: they are nice motors.

Also glad that some fellow TTS owners turned up and had good results after the remap even though the were white cars and not the faster Black colour like mine :yes:

I loved the R32, it was amazing and made me think back to 3/4 weeks ago and still having my Mk5 R32 and the noise was just sooo nice!

To jamie, I did think and suggest at the time about heat soak with "warming the car up by running it on tick over static in the same spot" and being down on power but I'm no expert and the Regal guys seemed to think it would not be a problem, but glad the 2nd run showed a truer result for yourself!

I have been to a couple of RR days now over the years and thought that the blowers might not have been the strongest I've seen to keep heat soak down but must admit they have different buildings etc so who can tell but could have stiffled the results somewhat.

Stuey in his TTS seems pleased from what I read with his TTS remap so after I put a few more miles on the clock (at 1400 ish atm) then will probably have it done also. Didn't even think it was worth putting the car on the RR was worth it with so few miles, but thinking now wish I did :shrug:

The idea of taking a picture of an R8 engine and photocopying it to a much bigger size and sticking it on the parcel shelf in the TTS to be viewed through the back window was cool, and a great TTS/S3 colaboration and would be funny. But it would stop us getting the scissors and blow dryers out of the boot so might not work...:blahblah1:

anyway will be passing through this forum aswell as TT-Forum, TT-Talk etc but will be spending time on here for sure.

Chimp (Mike)

Hey Mike,

Welcome to ASN - I'm not sure we got properly introduced on the day, sorry about that, was getting pulled in several directions.
Thanks for coming down and joining in the fun. Give me a shout when you're considering your re-map....

Was very pleased with the end result on mine :)

Was good to see the TT's... I think they all looked fantastic.

Yes what a great day - fantastic hospitality from Chris and the gang at Regal.

Thanks guys'n'gals.

Was great chatting to those that I did, I'm useless on remembering names though.

MarriedBlonde - yes thanks for the vinyl tape and the keys back (at long last :whistle2:). Sam is great and don't forget to post a copy of the picture if you that he took on the day (with my help) on your website (caption should read, Daddy a Sam's eye view - LOL).

That Caddy Torque figure was amazing - Merc 3.0 Diesel lump from the new E class.

Paul

Had i good morning too meeting you boys,

Bit gutted that my S3 is only kicking out 235bhp will have to have a looksie at some point into why but its driving ok and does not hesitate or anything so i'm not too fussed at the mo. To be honest my back is still dodgy so gonna fix myself first then think about the car.

Still good to meet some of you and see your cars. Plus as i had not been on a RR day before it was interesting to see what goes on etc...

Good to meet you Bob, I'm assuming you managed to pick your young lady up on time from the airport?

J.

Yeah as i said the car runs fine it just seems underpowered. So managed to get the missus ok but could of done without the trip as my back did not like it :(

Hope your little boy enjoyed the day plus i don't care what anyone says i like your car!!

Yep, I know Jimmy - they both turned up at the Regal day for a while.
Dan always talks about your R32... he so wants to get his turbo/supercharged!

Deffo meet up mate - be good to hear your plans for the S3... are you going to go the full monty or relatively sensible with this one???

Yep, I know Jimmy - they both turned up at the Regal day for a while.
Dan always talks about your R32... he so wants to get his turbo/supercharged!

Deffo meet up mate - be good to hear your plans for the S3... are you going to go the full monty or relatively sensible with this one???

I haven't spoken to him in ages but you can advise him to go turbo! The SC looks good and sounds good but doesn't really go!
I'll never really slate anything online because it's peoples money at stake (basically protecting their investment). My HPA turbo was the nuts and I don't know why I sold it, really missing it now.
I'm not sure about the S3, I'm temptend to go full hog, but that was half the reason why I sold the R32.
We will see...... I know that the S3 will be popping straight into AMD for a tinker when I pick it up......
:beerchug:

Thought I'd post some photos....great day!

100_1707.jpg

100_1708.jpg

100_1726.jpg

100_1717.jpg

100_1727.jpg

100_1728.jpg

100_1729.jpg

100_1730.jpg

100_1731.jpg

100_1732.jpg

100_1733.jpg

:w00t:

I have a few videos too - R32 vid is worth a view :hubbahubba:

I'm not sure how to edit the numberplates out though- anyone got any bright ideas?

Cheers Sam - good pic's mate.

Not sure how to edit video to block plates TBH!
I'm sure someone with far more tech skills than I will have a suggestion though!!!
Good to meet you mate - did you get those hoses sorted????

Yes Jamie, popped the hose back on and made 10BHP more!

Still not enough power though. I'm in discussions with Chris @ Regal to see if we can sort it out. :drool: