VAGCOM Display on the RNS-E

Iggu

Reaction score
Question for the electrical wizards on this forum:

I do track days quite often and it would be great to get the datalogging information on display on the RNS-E to monitor air intake temps, load factors, torque output and whatever whilst driving.

Obviously I can't have my laptop flinging itself round the cabin whilst tackling the Nurburgring but I can't imagine its THAT difficult to get the displays rerouted via the RNS-E. But then I know very little about car electrics.

Any thoughts ?

I doubt it - it seems to only give you the GPS related data on the engineering mode screen.

The only thing I can think of is if you have a multimedia adaptor and use the video out on the laptop to display the results on the RNS-e (like many of the things I've posted about - GarminXT, GoogleMaps, Nokia N95, etc).

You could then stow the laptop securely under the seat or get your passenger to hold it for you.

Or in place of the laptop build a CarPc and use the aux video in on the RNS.

That way you could build it into the glovebox, although you would have to use a keyboard to initially load VAG-COM and set the datablocks that you want to monitor for you track session.

Paul

[ytv]o91DX4ODgbU[/ytv]

That is very neat. Don't have an iPhone though (battery life is about 2 minutes from what I've heard.)

I though someone might come back to me with this and say "you need this £8 USB adapter from Maplins and you're away." Seems a lot more tricky than that but thanks for your replies.

Would be so great to get that info up "live" on the RNS-E .....

It would need programming from the ecu readings to interact with the rns so no doubt rns firmware would need written to know where to show on the screen & which modes to show on to interact properly, its not really a wiring/electrical issue, more like software related, as Marc & Co say only realistic way video in then of an eepc I guess

I'll chat with Simon@amd & see what the tuning/mapping programmers he knows say, not one thing I'd use really but dont get unless ask huh, but is there a market for this kinda software engineering, I cant see it being financially worthwhile, maybe a hobby project for one of them.

I might be completely wrong but wasn't there a post recently where there was a piece of kit that replaced one of the dash vents with an LCD screen which displayed engine data?

I'm sure I've not made it up!

These guys do something for the Golf. Might be worth contacting them if this is the sort of thing you're looking for.

*EDIT* - Just realised you want it through the RNS-E. Still, if you can't do that, maybe this is the next best thing?

Race%20Diagnostics%20logo.jpg

http://racediagnostics.com/cms/

There was also a similar product that displayed all this info in the DIS. Great idea, but according to the guys on vwvortex forum the Las Vegas based outfit were highly unreliable.

yeah, what davemk said...

Theres a LCD screen that goes in the TT's and A3 circlular air vent... dispalys boost gauge yadda yadda yadda..

These guys do something for the Golf. Might be worth contacting them if this is the sort of thing you're looking for.

*EDIT* - Just realised you want it through the RNS-E. Still, if you can't do that, maybe this is the next best thing?

http://racediagnostics.com/cms/

No Canbus support at the moment though. If you email them that will put you on a contact list for when there is one.

There are also some generic CANBUS datadisplay units out in the market but they tend to be for Race cars and aren't cheap and tend to be somewhat industrial looking.

Paul