When hot starting taking 8 sec+

Reaction score
Hi all
when driven my a3 2.0 tdi for more the 15min to normal temp. Trying to restart car before it cooled down seams to struggle any ideas?
Starts fine when cold.

Cheers
Dan

How's that pressure test of your engine worked out?

I'm not saying it's related but it can be - I once a had a lancia delta hf integrale, I blew the head gasket on that engine 3 times.
Every single time before it happened I got coolant or/and oilproblems and then problems staring the engine when hot before the engine failed totally.
Usually game over in the morning when cold actually.....
After a few years I considered myself a master in changing the engine head gasket in that cramped integrale engine compartments :)

That 2 liter lancia engine was a marble, the most entertaining and sporty enginge I've ever driven, as long at is was working mind you. I wish I could have a flawless working lancia 2L 16v turbocharged engine in my A3 - that would have been great :beerchug:

Well, back to your engine - A human with a cold doesn't like to run, A sick engine will not accecpt to be pushed hard.....
I say get your engine sorted before chipping it or you might be sorry....

ye good point what happened on pressure test & as already stated dont chip until fixed.

The pressure test come bk all ok. What else can i do tho?

cheers for getting bk to me

I have noticed similar symptons on mine for some time. Will start from cold nearly instantly. When warm it turns over for longer before starting, it is noticeably longer but ive never timed it. Don't think it would be quite 8 seconds. No faults on Vag Com.

Above a certain temperature the glow plugs are not activated. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Any one else with similar symptons?

sorry women moment. About 3 - 4secs. I know the car never use to do it when first got it.
I've heard that about the glow plugs too.

Its the starter motor, no doubt. Mentioned by my audi chief mechanic. Told me that this also used to happen in the older A3 and Golf. You need a new starter motor, but with a modified reference.

have u vagcommed the car m8? that may tell u whats going on?

3-4 secs to start, are you kidding me, if it were like 10+ then I'd question it

Well maybe its just me then but dose take longer.
What think about pressure test being all ok?