Query about H&R springs

Teejay

winning the school run grand prix
Reaction score
I fitted some H&R -35mm springs back in July (great service from DPM) and from the point they were fitted noticed an increase in road noise from the front of the car. This isn't an issue as with a 'harder' front end would have expected more noise tbh.

One thing that I wondered about (at the time) was the fact that some of the coils on the front springs touched even before the shocks had been put back on the car (and put under normal 'sag' from the cars weight). The workshop commented on this and said that he'd not seen this on Eibach or Koni springs which he normally fitted.

Now, 2 months on, they have settled a little bit - stance looks great, but the road noise has increased a bit more and when I look into the arch it seems that lots of the coils are now touching (as if there are too many coils).

Most folks say that H&R springs are very similar in 'feel' to normal S-Line springs too, but I have to say I think the rears are VERY hard when compared to the original OE Sport springs and seem to transmit every bump in the road into the car. I know the roads around Bristol are particularly shocking in places, but I find myself bracing for impact after I feel the fronts go over something.

So onto the questions...

1) Is it normal that the coils of the spring touch?
2) Is this an issue for the car (premature aging of other components based on the transfer of shock forces into the car)?
3) Does anybody else think that the springs are REALLY hard or am I just getting old?

Cheers,
Tim

ive not had any issues with my H+R's at all. My suggestion would be to spit out that werthers original and wack up the stereo.

Same, though some of the springs are closer together, they are coiled in such a way that they can not meet - maybe swing by somewhere and ask if they can put it on the ramps and offer any advice?

Same, though some of the springs are closer together, they are coiled in such a way that they can not meet...

they clearly mis-manufactured mine then because they do touch in several places and are pressed hard against the next coil in two places.

Are you sure they are the right ones for the right car?

It would not be unheard of them to be stickered wrong at the factory....

I would guess that before them actually being manufactured wrong.

the numbers printed on the actual spring (not on the box) were correct. I did check this when they arrived.

Thanks Damian. Guess I just need to 'man up' and avoid the bigger pot holes :(

PS - handling round the 'ring with standard shocks and H&R springs was awesome!

This happens sometimes so that the spring sits tight against the perch when you jack up the car.......many lowering springs are like this......

it's not just sat tight against the perch, but the coils mid way down (around where it goes from tight wind to loose wind) are touching.