Sprint Booster

Fast,not furious

Dealing with an OCD
Reaction score
Guys....i don't know if you seen these gadgets advertised in Audi Driver mag,and various other places(CKS performance are offering a 10% discount for Audi Driver readers)

A couple of you have got them,so i did a bit of research,and decided 'what the hell',i'll take one.

5 mins to install,including removing it from the packaging and reading instructions! It's literally plug and play.

What is it? A nifty little gizmo that plugs in behind the accelerator and boosts the signal somehow,minimizing any signal delay....and boy does it work!

You have to adjust your driving style to suit! Power is there instantly,it's like a different car....go-cart like...so much more responsive!

A big thumbs up for this simple little mod,that makes a big difference.

:salute:

What price we talking mate??

How easy is it to install? Sounds very interesting!! Got any pics??

I was tempted by one of these but was told they play up if youve had a remap

They're about £170...do a google search for pics,nothing much to look at,just a plastic connector, about 2 x 5 cm!

I've got a re-map,and no problems! Has anyone else heard this,or have one?

Has anyone else noticed that it you take a reading of your absolute accelerator position with VCDS the maximum it goes to is about 90%? I wonder if this just adds that 10%.

Hi

Just my experience but we remove these as they give a terrible driving throttle, especially when they have been mapped.

A remap will alter the throttle sensitivity and this unit further speeds up the throttle response. Its like having an off and on switch rather than a progressive throttle.

Here is a link regarding a recent car we took a Sprint Booster off:
http://www.r32oc.com/revo-technik/5691-amd-technik-thurrock-remap.html

Not as bad on a turbo car but why not just have the car mapped rather than spending £200 to make the throttle work faster. Buy heavier shoes!!:think:Only my opinion but a waste of money.

Cheers Shaun.

Aha.

One day I will get around to trying to gain that 10% though.

So all it does is increase the sensitivity of the throttle pedal??

Just move you foot more and save yourself the money..

So all it does is increase the sensitivity of the throttle pedal??

Just move you foot more and save yourself the money..

Yes, it just ramps up the throttle position resistor.
Had one on my old V8 S4 demo, bit too sharp when in town traffic, good on the open road.
Most people who drove the car found the throttle too sharp ended up stalling it, until they got used to it. Similar findings to the AMD`s R32.
Some re-maps change the throttle position rate.

I have one but don`t use it if anyone is interested in buying it. Basically just a resistor in a box that alters the signal sent to the ECU when you move the accelerator peddle making the engine respond quicker so it does work and thinking all you have to do is push the excelorator peddle quicker or hard will not give the same effect. Basically it makes a drive by wire car react a lot faster to the pedal movement. Revo have been doing the same thing in their maps for years and any custom mapper should be able to set the response rate to what ever you like. The new Evo 10 even come with a dial to set it at whatever setting you like.

It's taken a couple of days to get used to it,but it really does make a difference to accelerator response,it's nothing like pressing the pedal harder,she's just a lot more responsive! 600 miles this weekend without a blip....seems ok so far!

interesting. there was someone who had this on their 8l s3 with a remap and loved it too.

So, what the general concencus on these units? Doesnt give any gains?

Not as bad on a turbo car but why not just have the car mapped rather than spending £200 to make the throttle work faster. Buy heavier shoes!!:think:Only my opinion but a waste of money.

Cheers Shaun.

Totally agree. It just changes the "linearity" of the throttle resistor making you think that its more powerful with less throttle pedal travel... Its a fun toy but just a toy. IMO save your cash for a remap or something else!

The Japanese guys at Pivot does a similar unit but with different modes for the VW and Audi http://www.nengun.com/pivot/throttle-controller I personally think this is a better unit as this incorporates an Econ mode saving fuel.

It`s OK for a stock car but i would personally put the money towards a remap which will actually give you more power. No good on hybrid big turbo cars though, hated it on mine and soon removed.

Cheers. l did read into it but didnt think it would give any gains. l reckon the wife wouldnt like it.

You're right DC,no gains with it,it just makes it FEEL quicker. I wouldn't be without it now...

Shaun from AMD says buy heavier shoes - it just ain't like that! You can stamp on the gas as hard as you like,it just won't have the same results,the engine still can't react as fast...

ermm... well quite simply,with the Sprintbooster it's much more sensitive! It responds so much quicker,it reacts to the slightest input,as i've mentioned before,it's like going from stock to a good remap - but it doesn't ADD the power,just FEELS like it because of the speed it reacts.....it's difficult to explain!! The difference is like driving my missus' 1.1 Micra - put your foot down and it's totally unreponsive,then jumping into a sports car,blip the throttle and your flying..

Anyways,i know i didn't like it to start with,as you need to adjust you're driving style. But when i took it off,it FELT like a non turbo charged car....it went straight back on again.

If your missus wouldn't like it,it's a 10 second job to unplug it,and plug the stock connector back in. Look behind the accelerator - there's a few wires going into a plug which just pulls out - easy once you've sussed it (on the 8P anyway - the older ones have to remove part of the pedal i think)

not to sure if this has been said before but, when you put your foot down, it sends a signal to the ecu, and then the ecu sorts everything out and makes the engine start to accelerate. this sprint booster is placed just after the foot padel, it gets the signal and its send it to the ecu much quicker, so where it used to take around half a second maybe less, the sprint booster is more instant, making it feel more responsive. which, as said on here, can be done with a remap, and a remap is a much better way to spend the money, but if you have a remap, dont use a sprint booster as i have heard it creates problems!

Thanks Fast. l will consider it . Better still. Would you be up for giving me a shot for a couple of days.

Thanks Fast. l will consider it . Better still. Would you be up for giving me a shot for a couple of days.

I can do that for you mate,if you can cover the cost of postage (best do recorded)

It'll have to be next week though,as i'm off down to southampton and don't want be with out it for then (especially the blast along the A43, roundabouts and dual carriageways galore:eyebrows:)

gixxer - i've had no problems using with my Custom Code remap and previous GIAC map

Initially,yes,just until you get used to it - it feels like you're running on kangaroo juice - we all get used to accelerators/clutches behaving in certain ways,clutches i find are easier to get used to,whereas most accelerator pedals behave in pretty much the same way (i've been driving Audis for years) so when you're suddenly confronted with a throttle response that's this sensitive,it takes a bit of getting used to!:scared2: You try to drive normally,the car accelerates WAY quicker than you imagine,so it's immediate foot off,so the car slows WAY quicker than you imagine - so you repeat the process - oops!

You pretty soon learn to treat her like a lady,caressing her gently...:blush:

I'm making it sound worse than it is,you just have to rethink...use a GENTLE right foot,and it's happy days,you'll soon get used to it,and sorely miss it when you drive something else!

Because of the rapid response,you can out accelerate similarly powered cars,no probs,it's like they're caught snoozing :haha: