Seat base replacement

steve184

Reaction score
After 3 trips to the dealer, they have finally agreed to replace the seat base(?) to get rid of an irritating problem I have had - with the seat clunking backwards slightly whenever i pull off from a standstill.

How involved is this does anyone know (anyone had this done before) and what kind of state is my light grey leather seat gonna come back in????????

Steve

I'd give it a serious checking over after the work's been done since reading L6ON's thread. The pics speak for themselves!

oh i will do don't you worry - a single tiny thing out of place and I will hit the roof - this is the 3rd attempt at fixing this fault - and its just not good enough.

Surprise surprise, have picked my car up today after having the seat base replaced and there are three areas of damage to the interior.

The kick plate has a minor mark on it (seat dragged over it??? - not covered/protected)
knee brace scratched (triangular thing at side of gearstick)
And (new) seat base is scratched (looks like been scraped on concrete while out of car)

Now how did i know this was going to happen????

How involved is this does anyone know (anyone had this done before) and what kind of state is my light grey leather seat gonna come back in????????

When you say this, do you mean they repaired your existing seat?
It just surprises me to think they employ an upholsterer, rather than just chucking a whole new unit in.
Maybe there would be leather colour-matching issues with chucking a whole new one in?
:shrug:

The replaced the mechanism under the base - you know that controls adjustment back and forth, height etc - because the seat was clunking back and forth when pulling off from stationary - minor niggle which they have just turned into a big headache

I wonder about the colour match too, although this dealer has a black A3 cab with the same colour light grey leather as mine and it looks pretty much exactly the same as mine even tho manufactured 18 months apart

Thats why I always insist when big work is getting done in hanging round at the garage and making my prescence known to the workshop!!!

Saw someones whole engine and gearbox dropped on the floor once from the lifter....bet they were not told that had happened!

Sorry Jam.........bit off subject but how you doing in your new face lift any noticeable difference with that & your old one to drive?

Surprise surprise, have picked my car up today after having the seat base replaced and there are three areas of damage to the interior.

The kick plate has a minor mark on it (seat dragged over it??? - not covered/protected)
knee brace scratched (triangular thing at side of gearstick)
And (new) seat base is scratched (looks like been scraped on concrete while out of car)

Now how did i know this was going to happen????

I'll give Shatfield Audi their due, when they replaced my seat base they only scratched the door sill, so judging by this they did well :)

don't get me wrong - all relatively minor stuff - but this awkward customer aint accepting it and i told them so when i left the car with them

don't get me wrong - all relatively minor stuff - but this awkward customer aint accepting it and i told them so when i left the car with them

Absolutely 100% agree - I'm just shocked Audi continually do this level of service!

so am i. i put it down to too many people out there who simply are not ***** (im talking about owners) and so don't bloomin complain enough - not enough complaints just means the minority of us that do want 'perfect workmanship' get branded awkward

Got a meeting with Audi tommora to discuss in person my seat situation, i'll let you know how i get on, and pass on your details. Was it a Sytner dealership?

lol, funny you should mention about seats, they fecked up my seat in my old S3 at audi guildford, in the end after god knows how long I actually got the tools of them & did it myself, can you ******* believe that, they gave me there tools, I fixed it myself, they also damaged my leather, I just cant believe there workmanship

Sorry Jam.........bit off subject but how you doing in your new face lift any noticeable difference with that & your old one to drive?

Excellent thanks mate, main difference is with the new engine software on the facelift, more torque low down and less lag than the other one.

Much more linear in power than nothing then everything in the old one.

Fuel economy is also far better, bearing in mind its not even run in yet so it will get better!

This is also due to the new engine software and the flat underbody according to Audi, strange because when I looked at the underbody it seemed the same as my old one. But the economy is much better.

This is also due to the new engine software and the flat underbody according to Audi, strange because when I looked at the underbody it seemed the same as my old one. But the economy is much better.

You've got to laugh at salesman 'patter'.
I would venture any fuel economy improvement is 99.999999% engine related.
You can work out what I'd attribute to the flat underbody.:lmfao:

Apparently the carpet fibre is now hollow, power/weight ratio is the reason for the mpg increase.
Honest...

Why would it not be, physics?

Less drag under the car makes for better fuel economy, do they not invest loads of money in things called wind tunnels for research??

If you leave your windows open you can use up to 4 mpg more on a journey than having them shut so I'd assume a flat underbody would give you some saving??

Less drag under the car makes for better fuel economy, do they not invest loads of money in things called wind tunnels for research??

I thought they were to test there new kites

Excellent thanks mate, main difference is with the new engine software on the facelift, more torque low down and less lag than the other one.

Much more linear in power than nothing then everything in the old one.

Fuel economy is also far better, bearing in mind its not even run in yet so it will get better!

Nice One

Got a meeting with Audi tommora to discuss in person my seat situation, i'll let you know how i get on, and pass on your details. Was it a Sytner dealership?

No its a Lancaster cars Audi (jardine Motor Group) - since i live in manchester i'm sure that will make it easy to work out which one....

booked in again on 14th oct to have everything rectified.... question is... how much damage they going to cause fixing this damage lol - this downward spiral with dealers is just ridiculous and people should lose their jobs for it!!!!!!