Mot woes

jamessg1962

Reaction score
Couple of weeks ago got warning on dash saying side lamp bulb was not working.Thought as it needed changing i'd replace them with some "Extreme white bulbs" from autobulbsdirect
Job done i thought .
Wife takes car for Mot today Tyneside Audi ,(i'm offshore at the mo )gets phone call off her saying they failed car because the bulbs are blue coloured,WTF
Are these bulbs road legal ?
Audi will replace the said bulbs for me for £32 a side grand total £64 ""FOR AN £0.80 PENCE BULB."""
I told them they could stick it up their hoop !!!
They then said if i took the car away i would have to pay ,(Im on the free for life Mot,
For the Mot) when i brought it back .Bunch of thieving b*stards.
I would rather pay for my Mot at another garage than give them the money .
Never again !!

How 'blue' were they? They can be advised if they are only slightly discoloured. If they're not that bad you can tell them your thinking of appealing the test results with VOSA and see if change their tune.

No the bulbs are a white zenon light when on but when off the bulb is blue in colour .It's only the very small side light bulb
I think the free Mot is just a con .They must pick up on anything to try and get some money out of you !!!

There shouldn't be anything wrong with them. They look blue when you look directly at the bulb but the light emited is pure white.
I have always had these as I prefer these over the LED's. I've never failed an MOT for them....... And I've always advised friends and family with Xenons to do the same. Mine are the Philips ones if that helps.

They are a little darker than the Philips but I'm sure they'll be very similar!

Pi.jpg

I'm not home till tuesday .i'll have a look at the failure sheet and see what they have actually said (Wife's not very technically minded) She was told the bulbs are blue and they should be white, she think's !!!!!!!!!!!!!
So car's not Mot'd at the moment .

I can't get the link to work at the moment, but the easy way to tell is see what 'E' mark is on them. If they are 'E' marked, then Audi can go and get stuffed as they are perfectly legal and will pass an MOT.

If they are not, then there is nothing you can do but swap them temporarily for some E marked bulbs just for the MOT. (Not that I condone 'illegal' bulbs on the road, but you get my drift.)

Checked the bulbs today on the car they do have quite a blue tinge to them.Can't saty i noticed when i first fitted them tho .
Had a look at the bulb ,no "ce " mark on them !!
have put original lamps back in taking it for mot tomorrow,not going back to Audi tho .