rear tyre wear

steveg9

Reaction score
Just had my Sportback in for the dealer to look at a couple of warranty things (airbag warning light on, driver's window gets spooked) but asked them to check alignment. January car, 5000 miles. Front tyres evenly worn down to just under 6mm. Rears nearly 8mm inside edge, ~7mm in the middle and ~6mm outer edge. Apparently nothing wrong with tracking etc. and 'they do wear tyres unevenly'. Do they?!:uhm:

I queried on my last A3 with Bolton Audi as the uneven wear seemed excessive to me and to my local tyre fitter, who had also seen similar on his mates A3.
They guy at Bolton thought it strange, took some photos and said that he would send them off to Audi (in Germany, I think) and get back to me. I have not heard anything back from them since and that was over two years ago.
I've now got a sportback and have been keeping an eye on things. The wear is a little uneven, similar to yours, but nowhere near as bad as the previous car so not worried.
Probably another "quirky characteristic" of the car!!!

hmmm.... as Monty Python would say 'good job I didn't mention the dirty knife'
Just filled up: 457 miles, 51 L and the pump kept kicking off so it's not even full! That's <<40mpg, what's up with the beast? I got better consumption with the brick known as a Touran:keule: