Just to be absolutely sure...

magnus911

R8GGA
Reaction score
Website
www.it-tronics.co.uk
Hi Guys, I have a really quick query and am hoping someone can just put me at ease!

I just bought another RNS-E off ebay for my 08 S3, at the moment I have a double din Concert.

Last time I upgraded from a Symphony, and I had to buy a cable off Kufatec -
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...klein-BNS-3-X--4-X-Audi-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

Do I have to buy that again, or is it now a straight swap?

Thanks and yes I have already searched the forum and have found conflicting answers.

RNS-E upgrade on a 08 S3 is plug and play due to the new quad lock adapters, I have done it!

However you will need to code the unit/car for the nav and if you have BOSE some very minor rewiring is needed but you dont need to order any more wires.

Give s8criag a shout on here if you need any more info as what he does not know about the nav systems and installing them is not worth knowing!

While you're at it ask him if he'll do your SDS hack - he did mine and its ****** brilliant.

Magnus you can do the SDS & the coding yourself fella, its all on here & navplus.us & I think I still have the files if you want them.

Only thing need to do is wire the btooth mic through the rns & then down to the btooth module, easy enough as cut & join without touching the btooth module.

I dont think Bose needed rewiring as straight swap wasnt it with the symphony so isnt the Bose pin in same position or requires moving, I know with mine when I used kufa loom no need to move the pins even though some with kufa looms did move the pin, must been earlier looms, Andymac is the guy to ask TBH, he's the main car hifi guy, he hates Bose but will help if asked I believe on this

speech dialogue system

basically you can control the rns-e via voice & a button for phone, music cd, etc etc

best utilised with a MFSW as the other option is pain in **** which is installed on PetrolDave's RS4 involving a cangate box & a self cancelling push button in dash for the PTT function to activate the voice commands

I actually have 2 FBMFSW with dsg at moment, just deciding which one to keep then other ones for sale if anyone's interested, MarcQuinny will back me u as good seller as sold him the one he has at moment.

I was going to ask about the speech thing. I press the button on my FBSW and i hear a beep, but she says 'function unavailable' or something whenever I try a command. Is it not supposed to work at all with Concert? And if not, why put it in the ****** car!

Also, Nigel, thanks for the offer of the files I would be very interested! Don't suppose you have a Vagcom cable I could send them through?!

Thanks for all your comments guys, very helpful as always!

Yeah I have a vagcom cable

Have you got btooth?

So does your FBMFSW currently control your volume, phonebook via the DIS when pressing mode button, switches radio stations aswell with the left hand dial?

TBH I dont use it at all, but its a cool mod that would be handy I guess when I've finished all my mods.

I use the SDS all the time for navigation - i.e. entering a destination or selecting one from the memory. Don't really use it for selecting radio stations or CDs though. Easier just to scroll with the left wheel or hit the menu buttons on the head unit.

I use the SDS all the time for navigation - i.e. entering a destination or selecting one from the memory. Don't really use it for selecting radio stations or CDs though. Easier just to scroll with the left wheel or hit the menu buttons on the head unit.

Dunno about that - if you have an iPod playlist consisting of 300 tunes its very handy to be able to say "Play track 67" rather than scroll through 66 tunes to get to it. I agree about the radio function though - never used it.

A bit of thread revival here but I'm just in the middle of doing the SDS mod on my car.

THe guide I got from Marc says to use -

1 - MIC IN (-)
4 - MIC Out (-)
7 - MIC IN (+)
10 - MIC Out (+)

However on mine I already have a wire in location 10, which from looking into some diagrams seems to be something to do with Bose and AudioPilot on/off.

Anyone else seen this?

I had the same wire in location 10 but didn't go into to much research to find out what it was. Had a bit of trouble getting SDS to work leaving it there so initially wired my mic up in parallel with the bluetooth module and Mic in pins. Worked ok but I wasn't that happy with it (was determined to wire it in correctly) So after a while I rewired the mic to the IN pins and connected the OUT pins off to the bluetooth and disconnected the wire in location 10. Noticed one thing straight away, the Audiopilot (auto volume) that works with the Bose started working again. Must admit I hadn't really noticed it had stopped until it came back again. Apart from that nothing else has been affected. It's been like it for some time now and no problems have come to light.

So just to clarify, are you saying that you've removed the wire from Pin 10 and are now using that for the SDS as per the current guides. And with it disconnected you've noticed that Audio Pilot is now working?

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but with the wire disconnected I get the feeling the sound is better.

Yep, that's about it. I disconnected the wire from pin 10 and used it for the SDS mic wiring.

I'm glad you think the whole sound is better, I thought I was imagining it too. The whole thing felt more "alive". My only criticism is that its made the Audio Pilot a little bit to sensitive. Got used to it now though.

Hi Guys, I have a really quick query and am hoping someone can just put me at ease!

I just bought another RNS-E off ebay for my 08 S3, at the moment I have a double din Concert.

Last time I upgraded from a Symphony, and I had to buy a cable off Kufatec -
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...klein-BNS-3-X--4-X-Audi-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html

Do I have to buy that again, or is it now a straight swap?

Thanks and yes I have already searched the forum and have found conflicting answers.

As stated earlier, no cable required. If you have Bose then you do have to move the Bose wire in your existing quadlock. You'll also need a vagcom session to set it all up properly. If you need a hand with specific coding (but not the actual coding, my cable isn't long enough!) just shout.

More info in this thread.

Does anyone know the pin-outs for the Bluetooth module?

Mine was retrofitted by the dealer and sits above the glovebox so I have easy access to the cables. I had a look at it on Sunday with the aim of doing the SDS Hack. However, the wiring does not appear to follow the descriptions on this site.

Before I start cutting into cables, I would like to know what I am dealing with. I have found something on a VW TowRag forum saying that pins 11 & 12 are for the microphone. Can anyone confirm this?

You could try to find the mic cable as it runs up the A pillar then trace it back to the bluetooth module.

Thanks John

I had checked that cable out and it appeared to be single core (hence my confusion). However, on closer inspection this afternoon, it is of course a coaxial cable :keule:.

I now have all of the wires running into and out of both the BT Module and RNS-E. I also have had to remove the cable that was previously in position 10 in the connector block. The RNS-E also updated to SW660 with no problems.

I still have one problem though, when I disable the BT Module's speach recognition and then press the PTT button, the nice lady says something that sounds like 'apple' - German perhaps??? Is there another setting that needs to be changed in VCDS? Anyone else experienced this?

Yep

Definitely German.

If I hit the PTT button and then say 'hilfe' (I knew working for a German company would come in usefu one day) I get all of the instructions in German both on the RNS-E screen and over the speakers.

I've now VCDS'd it and evrything is wonderful.

I'd be a little concerned about the wire you removed. You can wire the mic in parallel to the RNSe and SDS still works.

What was your original phone module coding and what did you change it to?

Hi
i have an Audi A3 with the RNS E nav system (i have Bose system, buttons on the steering wheel and the speech recognition system).
i took it to a auto shop to get an ipod connector conected but they talked me in to the bluetooth whilst i was there.
long and short of it, they fitted the blue tooth, (not the ipod connector in the end as they had the wrong part) and all works fine excluding the speech regonition system.
if i press the button on the steering wheel, the beep sound but its just not hearing what im saying. it just says PArdon all the time.
We checked the Mic in another car and that works fine.

The guy then talked about coding for a while but couldnt get it to work.

anyone got any ideas, as i need to take it back to them, but if i can telll them how to fix it, that may speed things up!

thanks

I'd check mic wiring first, are the pins the right way around? and did they actually connect them to the RNSe? (if you don't SDS will never work) Then check the coding for the bluetooth module, it needs to be coded for voice control via RNSe.