Pre-Facelift Grill Options?

Don76

Reaction score
I've done a search on this but not found much info.

I'd like to remove the chrome on my pre-facelift grill (top & bottom parts)
I see loads of facelift A3's are running the black grills which (IMO) look far better.

Anyone know what my options are?
I'd like it to remain looking as OE as poss....

Its a nice design & definitely looks better, would have to remove the bumper but its a few hours job to do from scratch I would think & cheaper than the oem single grill option which is one of my jobs to do, go for it, looks good.

For the pre-facelift, I do not think any grill suits the car bar standard!

What you can do is to get the chrome sprayed black or covered in black vinyl which is what I am going to try myself

Yeah, I kinda agree with boydie here.
OE is the best looking.

Where can I get the black vinyl and is it an easy job?
I'm guessing if I try and paint the chrome section it'll end up flaking and peeling off.......?

Not if you prime is properly, paint several coats, be patient and let it dry, and then laquer it

You can get vinyl from any sign makers and have a stab at it yourself - shouldnt be a big job!

I'm awaiting for my new S3 bodykit to be delivered so I will take images of it all when doing if thats helps.

New, tried 2nd user but only germany had & wasnt worth it even from my ever so resourceful german friend, lol, really looking forward to this mod out of all of them, will certainly make the front & sides look alot better

Also looking into somehow getting round the issue of rolling the wings out a bit, due to the construction its kinda hard to do, might just cut, add 1 inch in & then weld & repaint as I wanna put 20mm spacers for wider stance, tried with my old B6 S4 spacers & it looked great like an rs4 stance

arrives thursday then of to paintshop, just awaiting my grill & fogs that I did get from germany, saved me £100-200 & now I get 10% of parts at audi anyway, they said I do more business with them than some traders, lol, lol, thought that was fecking funny & also slightly worrying for my pocket as maybe I need to add up what I've spent recently, lol

new bonnet yes & side (even though its on front) reinforcement bar I am debating with Matt about as he thinks I can just mod my existing based on when he did his & I have the tools for it but I can get next day anyway if it doesnt work out

new bonnet yes & slam panel I am debating with Matt about as he thinks I can just mod my existing based on when he did his & I have the tools for it but I can get next day anyway if it doesnt work out

You dont need a slam panal, the slam panel runs accross the top of the bumper under the bonnet at the front, you use your exising. Its the side reinforcement that we are talking about modding to fit. (even though its called side it actually runs across the car from left to right behind the bumper

Yes sorry meant the reinforcement bar not slam panel, in the throws of things I was thinking of the bar but typing the panel, lol.

Also looking into somehow getting round the issue of rolling the wings out a bit, due to the construction its kinda hard to do, might just cut, add 1 inch in & then weld & repaint as I wanna put 20mm spacers for wider stance, tried with my old B6 S4 spacers & it looked great like an rs4 stance

arrives thursday then of to paintshop, just awaiting my grill & fogs that I did get from germany, saved me £100-200 & now I get 10% of parts at audi anyway, they said I do more business with them than some traders, lol, lol, thought that was fecking funny & also slightly worrying for my pocket as maybe I need to add up what I've spent recently, lol

I take it rolling the arches are a preference, its not actually required to fit the S3 front?

I can picture you going to the dealer "Good day, and what will Sir be modding today?" :)

yeah preference for wider stance on road, hate the look as is, just boring, the 20mm on rears were great but rubbed straight away

ye thats exactly what Mitch@brightonaudi does, lol, he's gotta be the best parts guy I tell yer, amazing he goes so out of his way to help me aswell, gonna drop the guy some dough for all his help as I appreciate that kinda effort from anyone.