Picked up my new S3 but got a few queries...

crazylegscrane

Reaction score
Got my new S3 on Saturday morning and I'm loving it, mainly the colour - deep sea blue and all the gadgets I spec'd on it. Anyway got a couple of queries you guys might be able to help with...

1. Running in - the dealer said don't use full throttle, don't labour the engine in a low gear and don't sit with your foot on the brakes when stopped at lights. Is their a rev limit you shouldn't exceed when running in as I'm sure on my old 2.0 TDI I was told dont go over 3000 rpm for the first 500 miles then exceed 4000 rpm for the next 500, after that away you go.

2. My bluetooth connection keeps turning on and off, it comes on when you start the car and picks up my phone then after a while it beeps and the DIS says BT Off. Then it beeps again and the DIS says BT on. Now is this the bluetooth in the car or is it my phone???

3. Paintwork care is my last query, as I said my S3 is deep sea blue, so what polish/wax combinations do you guys use on dark coloured cars. I used to use Mer polish on my old A3 but I'm looking for a better product to use now.

Hope you can help, I'll put some pictures up soon.

Cheers.

Can help with the BT but have a google of Zaino one of the best product ranges for your paintwork you can buy, not the simplest to use but well worth the effort.

For running in mate various engine speeds/gears but dont really go above 5k rpm until about 800 miles. I ran my last one in like this and it flew and used no oil at all in 17k miles.

It sounds as if your phone may not be compatible with the car, is it Nokia by any chance?

Have a look in the deatailing thread as a guide for your colour car has just been posted (about 2nd from the top post).

Is your phone a N series Nokia? if so you may need the nokia contacts manger application. if not, still check and make sure your phone has the latest software available. Many LG phones are also very unreliable with the Audi BT kit.

congarts on the new S3 :icon_thumright: it may be good for not going WOT for a couple of hundred miles.. about the brakes i know that you should avoid hard braking for around 100-200 miles.. i dont know much about the rev limit but avoid red lining and standing still on high rpms...

Can help with the BT but have a google of Zaino one of the best product ranges for your paintwork you can buy, not the simplest to use but well worth the effort.

cheers for that I'll have a look at them

For running in mate various engine speeds/gears but dont really go above 5k rpm until about 800 miles. I ran my last one in like this and it flew and used no oil at all in 17k miles.

It sounds as if your phone may not be compatible with the car, is it Nokia by any chance?

Have a look in the deatailing thread as a guide for your colour car has just been posted (about 2nd from the top post).

Is your phone a N series Nokia? if so you may need the nokia contacts manger application. if not, still check and make sure your phone has the latest software available. Many LG phones are also very unreliable with the Audi BT kit.

think thats what I'll do while running in with the rpm

going to check the detailing thread now

my phone is a Hermes PDA that I got from vodafone - do your phones stay locked once they are connected?

Yes my phone did this initially, I deleted the pairing and re paired the phone
It now stays locked once its connected - but I've found that if I put my phone in the arm rest or in the cup holders / on the cup holder cover (not sure what its called !!)by the gear stick - it does as you describe BT on and then BT off.
I deleted the pairing and re paired the phone
Mine works best when the phone is in my right hand pocket !

Richard

PDA's are notorious for this problem, About all you can do is ensure your phones firmware is the most recent version.

With regards running in, pretty much as JamS3 said. Keep it mellow, no drag racing for a whlie I'm afraid! I did do a couple of runs to the redline in 3rd gear, I've hard it's good to bed the cylinder liners... mine's not used a drop either, even had the service manager mention after it's first service - he'd asked if I'd topped it up and I'd not had to.After 1000 miles you should eb free to enjoy yourself... I took mine on a track day at Mallory!
Expect cr@p fuel consumption for a while to mate - it only really starts to impove after 5-6k miles!

With regards to looking after your paint. Drop the guys at Polished Bliss a note - they have detailed most Audi paints and seem to know what works best.

For sprint the general consensus is that the Werkstat Acrylic kit works best. Reasonably priced, easy to use and good results.

Enjoy the new car mate!

Yes my phone did this initially, I deleted the pairing and re paired the phone
It now stays locked once its connected - but I've found that if I put my phone in the arm rest or in the cup holders / on the cup holder cover (not sure what its called !!)by the gear stick - it does as you describe BT on and then BT off.
I deleted the pairing and re paired the phone
Mine works best when the phone is in my right hand pocket !

Richard

I've kept mine over the cup holder, so I might try a different position then and set the pairing up again

With regards running in, pretty much as JamS3 said. Keep it mellow, no drag racing for a whlie I'm afraid! I did do a couple of runs to the redline in 3rd gear, I've hard it's good to bed the cylinder liners... mine's not used a drop either, even had the service manager mention after it's first service - he'd asked if I'd topped it up and I'd not had to.After 1000 miles you should eb free to enjoy yourself... I took mine on a track day at Mallory!
Expect cr@p fuel consumption for a while to mate - it only really starts to impove after 5-6k miles!

With regards to looking after your paint. Drop the guys at Polished Bliss a note - they have detailed most Audi paints and seem to know what works best.

For sprint the general consensus is that the Werkstat Acrylic kit works best. Reasonably priced, easy to use and good results.

Enjoy the new car mate!

been having a good look at the detailing section, I could get into that, the neighbours already think I'm mental because I used to clean my TDI once a week when I first got it, then I got lazy and took it to the local car wash..

Don't throw out the Mer yet!
I use it on my GTI 1.8T that I bought new in 1998 and the paintwork is virtually as good as new. It does a super job on my red S3 too.
I tried the various Autoglym products but was not as happy with the results.

Peter

On all my Audi's, I drove it WOT from day 1. Did 50 000 km on the A3 2.0T, currently on 25 000 on both the S3 and TT, and not an issue at all. These new motors do not need "running in". The mechanical tolerances are so small or fine, that everything works perfectly fine from zero.

But, each to their own. This debate has gone on for ages with the modern engine manufacturing techniques and will do so in the future.

Mate any chance of some photos?? I've been wanting to see an S3 in deep sea blue for a while.

deep sea blue?? Sounds nice.

Issac, the contacts manager is only for pushing the contacts to the car, not anything with the BT connection mate.

The dropped BT connection seems to be issues with the pairings though as many have said... so try their suggestions if you havent already. ;)

and get some pics on?

darthfx5.jpg

my old HP Ipaq did the old random disconnecting thing. Plugging it into the power charger (via the cig lighter) made it better but it still did it. Have a different Ipaq and now it works fine.

Crazy, update your sig aswell as its the 9th today fella, lol, S3's are rolling

Crazylegs

Could you check your adaptive lights for me and see if they move left and right aswell as up and down when you first turn the engine on, mine dont and was wondering if they had been forgotten in the factory!!

Jam do your lights turn left/right when turning wheel when stationary, simple if they do then they are adaptive, they dont always go up/down when starting car for the auto levelling but most times, have you got the levelling dial by the headlight switch which has settings from 0-3, if not then its installed as xenons always have 2 things, 1 is the auto levelling & 2 the washer system, easy way to check is see if rear/front axle has a kinda fulcrum/lever attached to it.

I have the Xenons so no leveling switch, upon reading the handbook the adaptive lights do not work at less than 10kmh or mph (cant remamber which).

Only thing is adaptive lights are extra on top of the Xenon system so its difficult to tell if they are there yet!

Just look at rear of the headlight, they should end with AS on end, so 8P0 941 029 AS & 30 AS thats the facelift adaptive/cornering lights.

IMG_1343.jpg

noplate.jpg

Finally got some pics on what a pain to work out. Only got these two at the moment I'll put some more up soon

Jam I'll check my lights to see if they move but I remember seeing another thread on here that said the lights don't move every time you switch on the car, thread wasn't too long ago. I'll let you know tomorrow if mine move

Lovely looking car mate, really like that colour!
Fancy getting it on the Rolling Road at Regal on Oct 4th - be good to have a look over your car... you should have it run in by then.... :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, on my previous S3 they moved up and down everytime I turned them on but that one did not have adaptive lights so I cant compare them!

Nigel

Thanks for the part no's I'll have a check tomorrow when its light.

Looks fantastic mate. Deep sea blue was one of my original choices. Enjoy the car :)

Cheers for the pics buddy.... That colour looks the business. Nice half way point between Phantom and Sprint. Classy!

Like the colour and the wheels defo look better than I thought

Richard

Like the colour and the wheels defo look better than I thought

Richard

I was going to say that.... The wheels actually look really good now despite all the slating i've given them! And even more annoyingly, even the mirrors are starting to look 'normal'.
The facelift is starting to work for me now, i like it. Only in 3 door guise though.

I was going to say that.... The wheels actually look really good now despite all the slating i've given them! And even more annoyingly, even the mirrors are starting to look 'normal'.
The facelift is starting to work for me now, i like it. Only in 3 door guise though.

Ive always liked the rims but I WILL NEVER LIKE THE ELEPHANT EARS!! ;)