Revo + Milltek + Forge = RS3

Iggu

Reaction score
RS3 ?

Here’s a question I’ve been asking myself – if Audi released an RS3 with 342bhp and 344lbft (over 322lbft of it consistent between 3500 and 5000 rpm), SDS-enabled DVD SatNav and Bluetooth, BOSE and a sunroof as standard for £31,000 would I buy it and be happy I’d got value for money ? That’s more power & torque than a 911 Carrera 4S or a Noble M12 – and all the luxuries I need. Well that’s what I’ve spent on my S3 (£29,200 from new; £120 Forge CAI; £499 Revo; £1155 Milltek) and that’s what I’ve got sitting in my garage. The only difference is I think Audi would charge around £38k for a “genuine” RS3.

Why REVO ?

I’m not going to criticize SuperChips who were brilliant with me – great product, even better customer service – or GIAC but after canvassing opinion through loads of PMs and phone calls to forum members Revo was the only choice for me. GIAC customers always talk about a “smooth”, “linear”, “progressive” map – I’m not knocking it but that sounds a bit dull to me: I wanted a bum-clenching, stomach-churning, scrotum-tightening fist in the face old school smack of power right there in the chops – none of this linear and progressive nonsense. That’s what this Revo map is. Look at the graphs – there are 4 of them overlaid and the key at the bottom tells you what they are. I’ll just point out 4 things which AmD pointed out to me:

1. Look at the temperature of the Revo + Milltek + Forge CAI run – this was the hottest of the lot (done last) so the figures could have been even higher had it been at 19.3 degrees like the others.
2. Kenny at AmD noticed straightaway that I had a nail in my front passenger side tyre (slow puncture).
3. My Revo is set up quite conservatively (Boost 6, Timing 5, Fuel 9) so there is room for more should I want it
4. The map can take up to 3 days to fully adapt so should get even stronger.

Without these factors these figures would be even higher potentially – truly RS3 performance in my book. That blue curve is a torque curve to die for – no worries about the fuel pump anymore !

Why Milltek ?

A couple of weeks ago I posted saying I would never spend £1000+ on an exhaust for a few bhp extra. Now I have. What changed ? Well a few days ago the lad I sit next to at work said he didn’t feel well. Over the day he got (and looked) worse so we sent him home in a taxi. A few days later we found out he lapsed into a coma and that he may not make it. The doctors don’t know what caused it or even what the problem really is – it just came out of the blue. He’s 32 (I’m 38). In our office we have a calendar on the wall with “Quotes for the Day” on it – you know the ones. The quote for the day on the day this happened was by Ian Fleming (James Bond creator) and it was: “I am not going to waste my days trying to prolong them.” Last week I got on the phone to our HR dept and cancelled my next 12 months pensions contributions. Life is for the living – f*ck the pension. Hence the Milltek/Revo splash out and the new kitchen I’ve just ordered and the family holiday I’ve just booked. Regrets ? Forget it. You only live once (or twice if you’re James Bond I suppose). Anyway look at the graph – Milltek is giving me 20bhp more from 5,500 rpm (right where you want it) and quicker response times throughout. Well worth it.

Why AmD ?

I got quotes from all over the place. I live in Manchester but the leading “big name” tuning company here quoted me £1,275 for Milltek and didn’t seem to know what they were talking about (Quote: “you won’t need engine mounts coz the Audi S3 Mark 5 is the same car as the Golf Mark 4 and we never fit them on them.” Errr …. right.) Shaun at AmD was ultra-helpful, ultra-friendly, always answered my calls and emails and gave me the following quote which is what I paid in the end:

5 hours labour: £0
4 dyno runs: £0
Revo Select Switch: £0
Milltek TBE: £1155 (book price)
Revo: £499
Uprated engine mounts: £40 (free labour). These are needed to avoid the problems S3BigAndy has posted about.

Bearing in mind I drove 260 miles to get there (3 hours there; 4 hours back – M1/M6 traffic hell for part of it) – if any aspect of the customer service at AmD hadn’t been spot on I would have been very cheesed off. As it was I was welcomed with the first of many cups of tea and treated brilliantly for the whole day. Shaun was genuinely interested in seeing how the mods would affect the car and is a real enthusiast who answered all my questions about Forge, Milltek, Audi etc etc. with expert knowledge. Kenny (Shaun’s second-in-command I think) involved me in all the RR runs, showing me previous customers’ graphs and other Revo’d cars so we could see the effect of the Forge CAI and Milltek as well as the Revo map and chatted openly throughout the day. Whilst the Milltek was being fitted and there was little for me to do/see they even gave me a lift to the cinema so I could chill out with a film for a couple of hours and then picked me up afterwards. On my way home at 8.15pm Shaun even phoned me to ask if I was happy and if the car was feeling good. Feeling good ?! Let’s just say that at the time I was going “quite fast” on the M6 autobahn (sorry – toll road) with all the windows down listening to the monster that now lives under my bonnet. AmD were brilliant – and well worth the time/distance. For price and service wise I doubt many companies could match them.

Conclusion

I’ve got what I see as the car Audi would have released if they had pulled their finger out and done the RS3. My car now is a beast. To be honest when I saw the power build on the graph as Kenny was running it (they project the image onto the wall so you can see it in real time) my stomach churned at the thought of 340+. I’d only really been expecting 320 – and I’d have been very happy with that. On the slip road which connects the A56 to the M56 a Cayman S with two blokes in it took me on. It’s a sweeping left with a straight onto the motorway. I’m not really into this sort of thing as there is no way I can prove it and it stokes up all sorts of responses – but to say I left them for dead is a laughable understatement. Pension my ****.

Here are the graphs and readouts:

lastscan.jpg

lastscan2.jpg

looks spot-on that pal, you've answered my first question, why go all the way to AMD.
I've been looking around at the different maps, having run APR maps on my last 4 cars and been more than happy, I noticed no-one on here is running them, there must be a reason for this.
This lead me to GIAC and REVO, having seen the results Ben(Vtec abuser) gets in his ED30 I was leaning towards REVO, think you just made my mind up.
Did AMD mention clutch life with all that torque?

I won't dwell on the reasons you've decided to splash your cash, but will say I hope your colleague makes a recovery. It's always pianful to hear stuff like that.

I wanted a bum-clenching, stomach-churning, scrotum-tightening fist in the face old school smack of power right there in the chops – none of this linear and progressive nonsense.

That's hilarious mate - and fair play to you!!!

Really impressive to see your results, and has got me thinking about the exhaust again....

Good to hear that Shaun looked after you, he was very helpful when we were planning the RR day.

I hear you on the Cayman thing - I was having a spot of fun with a 993 Carrera 4 on the North York Moors a few weeks back - to say he looked a littel surprised when he pulled in at Blakey ridge was an understatement!!!

I'd still like an RS3 with 2.5litre, 5 Cylinder turbo POWER!!!

Forget about the fuel pump? Your plots are amazing but just imagine.... I have been reading in Audi Driver that the 2.0T fuel pump has many problems, upgrading that and you will be laughing!

Good write up - do know what you mean about the differance between feeling the turbo boost coming in and a very smooth linear delivery.
I'm guessing that Revo are good with different mods then !
Richard

Graphs look good!
Shaun at AMD knows his stuff and has always helped me out. He will be doing the mods on mine, and did 70% + of the work on my R32.
Now get out there and give it some beans!

I presume this was a Revo stage 2 map?

great write up Iggu! spoke to shaun at ed38 on the weekend great guy just waiting on a quote from him myself as ive been previusly been dealing with TheTTshop which ive been very pleased with should be interestng what Amd are like.....

That's great Iggu, impressive results.

Do you happen to know what boost you're running ?

Did AMD mention clutch life with all that torque?

Yes - "do not put your put down in 6th at 2,000rpm or the clutch will not like it". No slippage at all but I need to watch I don't try to nail it with the revs too low - but you shouldn't really do this anyway. Kenny did say a Sachs clutch would be nice - but not necessary.

I won't dwell on the reasons you've decided to splash your cash, but will say I hope your colleague makes a recovery. It's always pianful to hear stuff like that.

Very decent of you Jamie (as always). Good man.

Forget about the fuel pump? Your plots are amazing but just imagine.... I have been reading in Audi Driver that the 2.0T fuel pump has many problems, upgrading that and you will be laughing!

No mate - I'd be pooing. In my undies. A lot.

I presume this was a Revo stage 2 map?
Nope - straight out of the box standard Stage 1 with a conservative set up. :hubbahubba:

Not bad Iggu at all, but I would def upgrade the fuel pump - what about am upgraded FMIC for the S3 or is it big enough?

Hey

Sounds like your pretty happy with the results! But I would say that your going to have to do the clutch pretty soon depending on how you drive the car, mine didnt last long running that power and torque..

Also with the amount of boost that the Revo map requests in the mid range you would benefit greatly from the fuel pump, but again, you'll have to get the clutch even more so!

hmm, if your happy just leave it lol

Jonny

Hey

Sounds like your pretty happy with the results! But I would say that your going to have to do the clutch pretty soon depending on how you drive the car, mine didnt last long running that power and torque..

Also with the amount of boost that the Revo map requests in the mid range you would benefit greatly from the fuel pump, but again, you'll have to get the clutch even more so!

hmm, if your happy just leave it lol

Jonny

How much is the Sachs Jonnny ? Just in case ......

I see everyone is talking about a clutch upgrade, do they take a long time for a garage to fit?

Errrm.. Its about £500 for the clutch plate and cover then you will need a new flywheel from audi which is £580 and labour to fit it all, about £1400 all in

Not cheap but well worth it I think..

Jonny

Hey Andy I am really chuffed man. I told you your car will be insane and your graphs as well as you have just confirmed it. Enjoy it mate. Whats even more impressive is that these figures are on stage 1 without the pump upgrade! I'd love to see what figures you get with stage 2 and pump upgrade (my setup)...then again, after seeing your figures maybe I should slap stage 1 back on :)

Welcome to the REVO Brigade:beerchug:

Hey Andy I am really chuffed man. I told you your car will be insane and your graphs as well as you have just confirmed it. Enjoy it mate. Whats even more impressive is that these figures are on stage 1 without the pump upgrade! I'd love to see what figures you get with stage 2 and pump upgrade (my setup)...then again, after seeing your figures maybe I should slap stage 1 back on :)

Welcome to the REVO Brigade:beerchug:

Thanks for helping me decide - those PMs were very helpful !! Its what forums are for in my book.

Good write up and great gains but it has now completely put me off modding my s3 lo, £1,200 for a miltek,£450 for the fuel pump and then i would need to uprate the clutch so another £1,400. Thats pretty much £3k there!!!

Dont get me wrong im sure the car will be a real weapon but its lost money and the car is still and s3.I would rather put the £3k down on an m3.

This aint a slagging off just realised to get the power and reliability i want i may aswell get a new car.

My car has been 100% reliable all the time I have had it, thats not an issue, spending 10k on a 30k car may be more of an issue for some people..

I considered lots of different cars but nothing else really does it for me in the price range I can afford so I stuck with the S3 and went a little mad :)

Just depends what you would prefer, a 40k standard car or a 40k modified car..

Jonny

Agreed....and i like the surprise on M3 drivers faces when you pull away from them:sob:

At the end of the day,you get exactly what you want,for not what i would call silly money.

But i bet you have spent a fair bit making it reliable, for example if you kept the std clutch and mounts you probably would have experienced problems.

Again this aint knocking what you have done and if we all drove std cars it would be very boring plus there will always be the appeal of driving a "sleeper". Guess i just thought that i could run big power on the cheap.

Ahh sorry I see what you mean, yeah if you look at it like that then you do have to spend some money on preventative mods..

But if you stay with what Iggu has gone and drive it sensibly then you should be ok really..

Whats the verdict on clutch life for a REVO`d car with no other mods?
Im guessing mine is around, 310ish BHP and 310 ft/lbs?

Dont really want to be spending £1400 on a clutch anytime soon and certainly dont want to end up with a heavy pedal.

cheers
Paul

My view on it is that once you have done as much as Iggu you have to start thinking about a replacement clutch.. Anything less than that and you'll be fine, thats based on my experience anyways..

Reason for the FWD guys getting away with it is that the tyres will break traction before the clutch slips, with the S3 that doesn't happen so the clutch takes much more of a beating!

Whats the verdict on clutch life for a REVO`d car with no other mods?
Im guessing mine is around, 310ish BHP and 310 ft/lbs?

Dont really want to be spending £1400 on a clutch anytime soon and certainly dont want to end up with a heavy pedal.

cheers
Paul

I had my car REVO'D at 36km..car basically rolled off the showroom floor and straight to my tuner.. She is now on 20000kms and no issues yet apart from when I throw some crazy boost at it :)

Good write up and great gains but it has now completely put me off modding my s3 lo, £1,200 for a miltek,£450 for the fuel pump and then i would need to uprate the clutch so another £1,400. Thats pretty much £3k there!!!

Dont get me wrong im sure the car will be a real weapon but its lost money and the car is still and s3.I would rather put the £3k down on an m3.

This aint a slagging off just realised to get the power and reliability i want i may aswell get a new car.

There is some middle ground here though.

£500 gets you a REVO remap and over 300bhp, and believe me, this represents a quick little car.
And at this state of tune you dont need any other mods, preventative or otherwise.

However if you want an M3, dont buy an S3 regardless of how much bhp it has, they are totally different.

Oh, and you wont get an M3 with much warranty for S3 money so you still carry a lot of financial `risk`.

cheers
Paul

i never seem to see any 8p s3 owners mention custom code? They are very popular in the vag market.

I know where you're coming from Sohrob - I'm not a risk taker and my car is under warranty for 2 more years. But if I needed to I could put my car back to Standard in less than a day - Forge (2 hrs), Stock map (1 minute) and the exhaust doesn't affect the warranty anyway. If I fit a Sachs clutch (600 Euro won't break the bank) that won't affect the warranty either. I honestly would do nothing to my car that would affect my chances of a warranty claim. It isn't even lowered.

£500 gets you a REVO remap and over 300bhp, and believe me, this represents a quick little car.
And at this state of tune you dont need any other mods, preventative or otherwise.

However if you want an M3, dont buy an S3 regardless of how much bhp it has, they are totally different.

Oh, and you wont get an M3 with much warranty for S3 money so you still carry a lot of financial `risk`.

cheers
Paul

Hi

Also with the BMW's, in general, the indicators don't seem to work!!!

Glad the car is running well Iggu and thanks for your comments, I'm still blushing.

Cheers Shaun.

P.S. You promoted Kenny so I'll send you the bill for his wage increase!!

cheers
Paul

My car already has the hammer map and it goes well for what it is but i want something quicker but that is also a smart purchase.

Yes the m3 is totally different but for me its the next step up before a 997 turbo.

It would only be 6 months old the same as when i purchased my audi so will have warranty etc. Because i only keep my cars around 12 months spending £4k on mods/12 months = £330 per month which would get me into a newish m3.

As i have said i look for a balance between the performance and the deal/residuals of a car. (maybe a new m3 isnt the choice lol)

Awesome write up Iggu. I have to stop reading these threads as it just makes me want to spend money when I'm supposed to be saving for a house deposit!

:icon_thumright:

I'm still gob smacked at the difference between the Super chips ( green ) and the ( red ) stage 1 REVO!!!! it's a different ball game!

p

My car already has the hammer map and it goes well for what it is but i want something quicker but that is also a smart purchase.

Yes the m3 is totally different but for me its the next step up before a 997 turbo.

It would only be 6 months old the same as when i purchased my audi so will have warranty etc. Because i only keep my cars around 12 months spending £4k on mods/12 months = £330 per month which would get me into a newish m3.

As i have said i look for a balance between the performance and the deal/residuals of a car. (maybe a new m3 isnt the choice lol)

If you put it like that...:icon_thumright:

cheers
Paul

Nice to hear you're happy mate.. Knew you would be and hope the PMs helped.. Good isn't it? ;)
Like Phantom says, the difference between Bluefin and Revo is almost **** taking.. :box:

What's the odds on Phantom buying a full Milltek now? :yum:

Wow, good figures. Glad you went for the Milltek, does make a hell of a difference, and the sound - so much better, but not OTT - Did you go resonated?

Nice to hear you're happy mate.. Knew you would be and hope the PMs helped.. Good isn't it? ;)
Like Phantom says, the difference between Bluefin and Revo is almost **** taking.. :box:

What's the odds on Phantom buying a full Milltek now? :yum:

Hey Vtec Abuser - you're PMs were a major help thank you. You were spot on although I didn't go for Boost 8. That must be mental !!

Wow, good figures. Glad you went for the Milltek, does make a hell of a difference, and the sound - so much better, but not OTT - Did you go resonated?

Definitely resonated - from the outside (apart from the Lamin-X) my car looks totally stock: no spacers, no lowering, OEM wheels. Stealth is the key .... so resonated for me deffo. Thanks for the PMs Oli - they certainly helped convince me !!

You need to get someone else to drive your car up the road, the noise from the back is superb