EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status

My S3 is poorly :-(

I have a couple of things that are sounding bad, 1 since it had a service!

Under extreme acceleration I get a squeak like old cars got when the fan belt slipped, any ideas?

The bad one!! I picked the car up from Readiong Audi, and had to put some fuel in (BP ultimate) minutes later it started to feather? and the emission light started to flash, then it cleared. this continued and its in Audi today for a check, now last night I heard a big Whoosh and a pop, just after it fluttered, could this be the Dump valve giving up?

Any views helpful
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Not anymore!!!

The coil pack on piston 1 had failed, the whoosh pop they think was excess fuel being compressed!

On a side note I was told off record, that Audi are having problems with coil packs on S3's, watch for a kinda misfire thats the start of the problem..
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Ahhh...the dreaded coil packs! I know they were really giving Audi a problem a couple of years ago with the A3 (just the A3,if i remember correctly). They had literally hundreds on back order.

I hope all is well now matey!

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast,not furious View Post
    Ahhh...the dreaded coil packs! I know they were really giving Audi a problem a couple of years ago with the A3 (just the A3,if i remember correctly). They had literally hundreds on back order.

I hope all is well now matey!
    No No

It was the 1.8 T engine accross the board so ALL TT's, Mk 4 GTI's, Skoda Octavias, SEATS, and obviously Audi A/S 3's!!

AT one point there were no coil packs in the UK and it was subject of a Watchdog show!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Yeah all is well, just in time for my second trip to the Stelvio!!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

jamiekip
    Feckin coilpacks again!

I had 3 go at different times on my last 8L S3!

Neutral

Status
    That explains some of the noises you were talking about on the trip then Andy.

Good to know you have it sorted now! :-)

Andrew
    2008 Pre Facelift S3 - FBSW, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Dolphin Grey, iPod Adaptor, BOSE

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    SnAz, yeah I said it was misfiring then, also I know why I couldn't always catch Lee!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Big Andy View Post
    SnAz, yeah I said it was misfiring then, also I know why I couldn't always catch Lee!!
    You couldn't catch Lee cus I was always in the way! :-)
    2008 Pre Facelift S3 - FBSW, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Dolphin Grey, iPod Adaptor, BOSE

4th Gear

Status
    yer coilpacks was a huge issue on the the old 1.8T engine. I had 2 go on my 20vt. My mate has had problems with his coilpacks on his MK5 GTI too recently.
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SnAzBaZ View Post
    You couldn't catch Lee cus I was always in the way! :-)
    Good point!!!!wish I had the video of my tail hugging down that mountain!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    FECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it has gone again, now Audi are saying it could be the spark plug in piston 1, but they cant fit me into next wek when I am away, so I have to pay 60 squid to get it done!!
    I am selling it and buying a Kia C'eed!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    Oh no my car has just done something similar, i was out giving it a good blast on and just about to hit the red line and change up in 3rd and i got the flutter you speak of and my emissions warning light started flashing and then went off, was this just the limiter or is something up? can anybody help?
    Last edited by block; 1st October 2008 at 15:05.

1st Gear

Status
    i also noticed with the windows down and listening to the turbo it sounded as tho the turbo pressure was wavering in stead of a constant whistle, could this be my dv going awol?

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    I have had 4 yes 4 new coil packs in piston one, now Audi Reading are saying the problem must be elsewhere and need my car for 2 days to find the fault!
    Anyone else had a similar problem?
    It is very intermittent but it is feckin annoying!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    Mines into audi for 3 days this week too for a similar problem but mines on cylinders 2 and 3, we have tried coils and plugs to no avail, jim at star performance is pretty sure it'll be injectors as hes had problems with them before on seat cupras with less than 5k miles on. maybe yours is something similar.

1st Gear

Status
    BTW it might be worth checking each cylinder with vag com for misfires? mine is misfiring at idle but you cant feel anything wrong or hear anything wrong. and im not getting any fault codes unless i take it all the way to top revs uphill.

jamiekip
    Injectors - block - did STAR say this was a pretty common issue across all the direct injection engines???
    I hope they track the problem and get it sorted for you mate.
    My car is back in to get some paint work sorted (job wasn't good enough first time round) tomorrow and to add insult to injury, some complete fecker drove in to the back of me on the north circular yesterday. Doesn't look like there is much damage, just a scuff, but the bumper looks slightly deformed where his bumper hit...... wondering if I'll be able to get a new skin.... and maybe get the updated diffuser from the facelift as a result. What is it they say, silver lining to every cloud......

Not anymore - Back 2 BMW (shh)

Status
    Are they OK with the mods and remap? Not blaming that yet...?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    Injectors - block - did STAR say this was a pretty common issue across all the direct injection engines???
    Jim didnt say it was a common fault, he recons these engines are pretty bomb proof other than the known fuel pump issue. He said that the injectors are really good but because there such a complex precise design that they can easily be damaged by crap fuel or standing for a long time. With my car being an audi hq car for 10k miles they have probably only run it on 95ron plus its probably stood around for a while too.
    it will be interesting to see what it turns out to be tho as there are 3 or 4 of us on this forum with similair problems, and you cant really tell till a remap highlights the problem even tho its there anyhow.
    If everyone had access to vag com it would be interesting to see how may of these cars have a hidden misfire at idle thats for sure.

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    They were so I took off my re-map, and its still there!! now they have to sort it out
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    Hmm my misfire seems to have disapeared! I have been running through a tank of stp fuel injection cleaner just to see if it would improve anything, so could it really have worked?
    I have also just removed my bmc panel filter ready for it to go into audi on wednsday so could this have had anything to do with it? surely not!
    i have vag com coming tomorrow so i'll check the idle for misfires again and see if they too have disapeared, then if they have i'll try swapping the filter back in to see if the problems come back.

Might be worth running some injection cleaner through these cars once in a while especially if that has indeed cured mine.

jamiekip
    Must simply have been the injectors then block.
    Have had my BMC in for well over 10k miles now and my car's not missed a bit so I doubt that is related in anyway. Only thing the BMC could possibly effect is the MAF.

Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of it though mate which is really good to hear.

J

1st Gear

Status
    Must simply have been the injectors then block.
    Have had my BMC in for well over 10k miles now and my car's not missed a bit so I doubt that is related in anyway. Only thing the BMC could possibly effect is the MAF.

Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of it though mate which is really good to hear.

J
    Aye i'll not be happy with it till i do.
    Last edited by block; 1st October 2008 at 15:08.

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Now funny you should mention STP as I have just used this with Tesco 99 putting in 50 ltrs and it has been fine! I wonder if its a dirty fuel problem after all!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

jamiekip
    My car has only ever had v-power in it since day 1, well apart from whatever they deliver it with!
    It's not missed a beat

1st Gear

Status
    My car has only ever had v-power in it since day 1, well apart from whatever they deliver it with!
    It's not missed a beat
    Thats the beauty of owning from new, mine was 9 month old when i got it so had probably been run on all sorts of crap fuel.

jamiekip
    Again - goes back to dealers taking very little pride in what will be peoples pride and joy. Seems to be common theme at present which is sad

1st Gear

Status
    Bugger my misfires still there at idle mainly on cylinder 3, it does seem to disappear once driving tho! still im sure its not supposed to misfire at idle so it can still go into audi tomorrow for a look. maybe injector 2 was fixed by the stp stuff and injector 3 is properly damaged?
    the saga continues......

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Here is my VAG-COM results!
    Address 01: Engine
    Control Module Part Number: 8P0
    Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0030
    Software Coding:
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00191
    2 Faults Found:

000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100001
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Mileage: 44842 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2008.09.16
    Time: 09:23:14

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 4052 /min
    Load: 36.8 %
    Speed: 160.0 km/h
    Temperature: 81.0C
    Temperature: 22.0C
    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
    Voltage: 14.097 V

000769 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
    P0301 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Frequency: 2
    Mileage: 44842 km
    Date: 2008.09.16
    Time: 09:23:14

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 4052 /min
    Load: 36.8 %
    Speed: 160.0 km/h
    Temperature: 22.0C
    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
    Voltage: 14.097 V
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    Does your misfire at idle andy? its blocks 14,15,16 to monitorit in vag com btw.
    Those are pretty similar to my fault codes except i get cylinders 2 and 3 or i did as i cant get it to do it now.

Heres my logs....

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
    Part No SW: 8P0 907 115 H HW: 8P0 907 115 B
    Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0050
    Revision: 5BH16--- Serial number: AUX7Z0G8FNA0U5
    Coding: 01030003180F0060
    Shop #: WSC 65728 1018 854933

3 Faults Found:
    000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Mileage: 19053 km
    Date: 2008.09.10
    Time: 15:18:28

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 6717 /min
    Load: 90.9 %
    Speed: 130.0 km/h
    Temperature: 26.0C
    Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
    Voltage: 14.224 V

000771 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
    P0303 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

000770 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
    P0302 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 0000 0000

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Well mine should go in Friday now so will let you know!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

6th Gear

Status
    I' m sure I can remember something about the injection system running different on idle or something like that....
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamS3 View Post
    I' m sure I can remember something about the injection system running different on idle or something like that....
    As in misfiring at idle a little is normal?
    If so then my car may indeed be fixed!
    Although jim at star performance and the audi tech guy say there should be no misfires at idle.

6th Gear

Status
    No not a misfire mate but it ran different when at idle than not.

So that may explain your problem why only at idle as the aux system is broken and not the main one when you are driving???

1st Gear

Status
    My problem isnt just at idle tho, the logs above threw misfire faults up at 6700rpm, although they have stopped now i'll be surprised if there isnt some hidden misfire in the background.

Mines gone into audi for a 3 day stay now anyhow so we'll see what they come up with, if anything!
    Last edited by block; 1st October 2008 at 15:10.

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    What map you running Block?
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    What map you running Block?
    Giac but its switched to the stock map while its in at audi. And i never told them not to reflash as i thought that would give the game away.

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    The plot thickens!!
    I understand from a 3rd party there is a TSB out on S3's with this very problem!!
    I have a copy of the TSB coming and will post it when I do!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO

1st Gear

Status
    The plot thickens!!
    I understand from a 3rd party there is a TSB out on S3's with this very problem!!
    I have a copy of the TSB coming and will post it when I do!!
    Whats a tsb? other than a bank?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast