My S3 is poorly :-(

S3 Big Andy

Stealth Beast Baby Yay
Reaction score
Website
www.andyoram.co.uk
I have a couple of things that are sounding bad, 1 since it had a service!

Under extreme acceleration I get a squeak like old cars got when the fan belt slipped, any ideas?

The bad one!! I picked the car up from Readiong Audi, and had to put some fuel in (BP ultimate) minutes later it started to feather? and the emission light started to flash, then it cleared. this continued and its in Audi today for a check, now last night I heard a big Whoosh and a pop, just after it fluttered, could this be the Dump valve giving up?

Any views helpful

Not anymore!!!

The coil pack on piston 1 had failed, the whoosh pop they think was excess fuel being compressed!

On a side note I was told off record, that Audi are having problems with coil packs on S3's, watch for a kinda misfire thats the start of the problem..

Ahhh...the dreaded coil packs! I know they were really giving Audi a problem a couple of years ago with the A3 (just the A3,if i remember correctly). They had literally hundreds on back order.

I hope all is well now matey!

Ahhh...the dreaded coil packs! I know they were really giving Audi a problem a couple of years ago with the A3 (just the A3,if i remember correctly). They had literally hundreds on back order.

I hope all is well now matey!

No No

It was the 1.8 T engine accross the board so ALL TT's, Mk 4 GTI's, Skoda Octavias, SEATS, and obviously Audi A/S 3's!!

AT one point there were no coil packs in the UK and it was subject of a Watchdog show!

****** coilpacks again!
:aggressive:
I had 3 go at different times on my last 8L S3!

That explains some of the noises you were talking about on the trip then Andy.

Good to know you have it sorted now! :)

Andrew

yer coilpacks was a huge issue on the the old 1.8T engine. I had 2 go on my 20vt. My mate has had problems with his coilpacks on his MK5 GTI too recently.

FECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it has gone again, now Audi are saying it could be the spark plug in piston 1, but they cant fit me into next wek when I am away, so I have to pay 60 squid to get it done!!
I am selling it and buying a Kia C'eed!!

Oh no my car has just done something similar, i was out giving it a good blast on and just about to hit the red line and change up in 3rd and i got the flutter you speak of and my emissions warning light started flashing and then went off, was this just the limiter or is something up? can anybody help?

i also noticed with the windows down and listening to the turbo it sounded as tho the turbo pressure was wavering in stead of a constant whistle, could this be my dv going awol?

I have had 4 yes 4 new coil packs in piston one, now Audi Reading are saying the problem must be elsewhere and need my car for 2 days to find the fault!
Anyone else had a similar problem?
It is very intermittent but it is ****** annoying!

Mines into audi for 3 days this week too for a similar problem but mines on cylinders 2 and 3, we have tried coils and plugs to no avail, jim at star performance is pretty sure it'll be injectors as hes had problems with them before on seat cupras with less than 5k miles on. maybe yours is something similar.

BTW it might be worth checking each cylinder with vag com for misfires? mine is misfiring at idle but you cant feel anything wrong or hear anything wrong. and im not getting any fault codes unless i take it all the way to top revs uphill.

Injectors - block - did STAR say this was a pretty common issue across all the direct injection engines???
I hope they track the problem and get it sorted for you mate.
My car is back in to get some paint work sorted (job wasn't good enough first time round) tomorrow and to add insult to injury, some complete fecker drove in to the back of me on the north circular yesterday. Doesn't look like there is much damage, just a scuff, but the bumper looks slightly deformed where his bumper hit...... wondering if I'll be able to get a new skin.... and maybe get the updated diffuser from the facelift as a result. What is it they say, silver lining to every cloud......

Injectors - block - did STAR say this was a pretty common issue across all the direct injection engines???

Jim didnt say it was a common fault, he recons these engines are pretty bomb proof other than the known fuel pump issue. He said that the injectors are really good but because there such a complex precise design that they can easily be damaged by crap fuel or standing for a long time. With my car being an audi hq car for 10k miles they have probably only run it on 95ron plus its probably stood around for a while too.
it will be interesting to see what it turns out to be tho as there are 3 or 4 of us on this forum with similair problems, and you cant really tell till a remap highlights the problem even tho its there anyhow.
If everyone had access to vag com it would be interesting to see how may of these cars have a hidden misfire at idle thats for sure.

Hmm my misfire seems to have disapeared! I have been running through a tank of stp fuel injection cleaner just to see if it would improve anything, so could it really have worked?
I have also just removed my bmc panel filter ready for it to go into audi on wednsday so could this have had anything to do with it? surely not!
i have vag com coming tomorrow so i'll check the idle for misfires again and see if they too have disapeared, then if they have i'll try swapping the filter back in to see if the problems come back.

Might be worth running some injection cleaner through these cars once in a while especially if that has indeed cured mine.:think:

Must simply have been the injectors then block.
Have had my BMC in for well over 10k miles now and my car's not missed a bit so I doubt that is related in anyway. Only thing the BMC could possibly effect is the MAF.

Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of it though mate which is really good to hear.

J

Must simply have been the injectors then block.
Have had my BMC in for well over 10k miles now and my car's not missed a bit so I doubt that is related in anyway. Only thing the BMC could possibly effect is the MAF.

Sounds like you're getting to the bottom of it though mate which is really good to hear.

J
Aye i'll not be happy with it till i do.

Now funny you should mention STP as I have just used this with Tesco 99 putting in 50 ltrs and it has been fine! I wonder if its a dirty fuel problem after all!

My car has only ever had v-power in it since day 1, well apart from whatever they deliver it with!
It's not missed a beat

My car has only ever had v-power in it since day 1, well apart from whatever they deliver it with!
It's not missed a beat

Thats the beauty of owning from new, mine was 9 month old when i got it so had probably been run on all sorts of crap fuel.

Again - goes back to dealers taking very little pride in what will be peoples pride and joy. Seems to be common theme at present which is sad

****** my misfires still there at idle mainly on cylinder 3, it does seem to disappear once driving tho! still im sure its not supposed to misfire at idle so it can still go into audi tomorrow for a look. maybe injector 2 was fixed by the stp stuff and injector 3 is properly damaged?
the saga continues......

Here is my VAG-COM results!
Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 8P0
Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0030
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code: WSC 00191
2 Faults Found:

000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 44842 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2008.09.16
Time: 09:23:14

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 4052 /min
Load: 36.8 %
Speed: 160.0 km/h
Temperature: 81.0°C
Temperature: 22.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

000769 - Cylinder 1: Misfire Detected
P0301 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 44842 km
Date: 2008.09.16
Time: 09:23:14

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 4052 /min
Load: 36.8 %
Speed: 160.0 km/h
Temperature: 22.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

Does your misfire at idle andy? its blocks 14,15,16 to monitorit in vag com btw.
Those are pretty similar to my fault codes except i get cylinders 2 and 3 or i did as i cant get it to do it now.

Heres my logs....

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06F-907-115-AXX.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 115 H HW: 8P0 907 115 B
Component: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0050
Revision: 5BH16--- Serial number: AUX7Z0G8FNA0U5
Coding: 01030003180F0060
Shop #: WSC 65728 1018 854933

3 Faults Found:
000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 19053 km
Date: 2008.09.10
Time: 15:18:28

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 6717 /min
Load: 90.9 %
Speed: 130.0 km/h
Temperature: 26.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.224 V

000771 - Cylinder 3: Misfire Detected
P0303 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

000770 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected
P0302 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:

Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 0000 0000

I' m sure I can remember something about the injection system running different on idle or something like that....

I' m sure I can remember something about the injection system running different on idle or something like that....
As in misfiring at idle a little is normal?
If so then my car may indeed be fixed!
Although jim at star performance and the audi tech guy say there should be no misfires at idle.

No not a misfire mate but it ran different when at idle than not.

So that may explain your problem why only at idle as the aux system is broken and not the main one when you are driving???

My problem isnt just at idle tho, the logs above threw misfire faults up at 6700rpm, although they have stopped now i'll be surprised if there isnt some hidden misfire in the background.

Mines gone into audi for a 3 day stay now anyhow so we'll see what they come up with, if anything!:keule:

The plot thickens!!
I understand from a 3rd party there is a TSB out on S3's with this very problem!!
I have a copy of the TSB coming and will post it when I do!!

The plot thickens!!
I understand from a 3rd party there is a TSB out on S3's with this very problem!!
I have a copy of the TSB coming and will post it when I do!!

Whats a tsb? other than a bank?