http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=2605520&page=2

It's 01-08-05 jan 23, 2008 2017064
Basically says you get cold start misfires
Try swapping spark plugs and ignition coils between cylinders
Check compression and leak down of affected cylinders
verify fuel quality
swap injectors
If all else fails:
replace all 8 rocker arms and 8 hydraulic equalizing elements (lifters) of the affected exhaust side.
Parts:
022109423D Engine - Cylinder head & valves - Valve lifters
06E109417F rocker arms ($20-$15 each)
06F103483D Engine - Cylinder head & valves - Valve cover gasket ($15-$11)

You need to read the thread it is almost a carbon copy of ours!!

Is that tsb available to audi in the uk then, can we just give them the number?
Today audi decided to order a new ecu for mine as they had tried all else, i'll be shocked if this works! i think there just trying there hardest to not do any physical engine work tbh, at least they know i have vag com and can double check on them to see if they have fixed the fault.

Is that tsb available to audi in the uk then, can we just give them the number?
Today audi decided to order a new ecu for mine as they had tried all else, i'll be shocked if this works! i think there just trying there hardest to not do any physical engine work tbh, at least they know i have vag com and can double check on them to see if they have fixed the fault.

Sheessh, that seems a bit drastic to replace the ECU!
I think you hit the nail on the head there, avoiding getting there hands dirty!

Misfire detection works by calculating the deceleration of the crankshaft, if one or more of the cylinders doesn't fire properly then the deceleration differs which then gets detected as a misfire.

One thing you could check for is any air leaks if you have changed or removed the airbox. If there is an air leak between the MAF and the throttle body then that can cause random misfires as there is unmeasured air going into the manifold.

And apparently it was audi technical for the uk that decided on this course of action as the dealer had checked everything obvious, at least it should get finally sorted with them involved but i hope they cant find my remap to blame that.
i hope i can laugh at them tomorrow when the new ecu dont fix it, tbh.

Depends if the crack allows air to enter the air flow system on the engine.

****** great, i just phoned audi again and the ecu will take 4-6 working days to come, so im stuck with a big a4 estate with stickers all down the sides.:puke2:

Count yourself lucky, I currently have a VW Polo..... Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
Hope the ECU sorts it mate

So glad i bought an audi now, i think audi will have had it more than me in these first 2 months of ownership. pos.

i cant help but think that they should be swapping my injectors over in the meantime and eliminating them.

I agree with you mate, but it's a case of 'computer says no' with these cars nowadays!

I am going to rant so if you are easily offended dont read!!

****** DICKNOSED TOSSERS at Reading Audi, had my car all day, told me that had fixed the problem, I drove it 20 yards, and it ****** misfired!!!

And to add insult to injury they ****** cleaned it!!
So I know have a car which misfires AND has swirl marks all over it.......

I will get this fixed but its time to go to TTS Roadsport!

What a pack of tossers, do you not get the misfire at idle like i do then andy?
because thats what ive told my dealer and they have acknowledged that it does it and should not, also they know i have vag com and can check it myself, which i will do before i even drive away in it.
ive asked for mine not to be washed but i'll not be surprised if it is which will mean i'll have to get the rotary out too once its back, gotta love audi dealers.

block,

your misfires seem very similar to si00adg's ones I logged a while back. Maybe you can get in touch with him?

*nvm, just noticed that you are in that thread as well.

Btw andy what did the audi dealer say they had done to fix the problem?

Update: Car is in Basingstoke Audi, who have found it's an over fueling problem to cylinder 1, which they believe is a fault with the ECU!

I amongst overs think it's an injector, so it will be interesting to see.

Shame Reading Audi didn't do these checks when it first happened!!

It will be very interesting to see if yours and mine have the same problems andy. im still waiting for word on weather the ecu fixes mine, its been at carlisle audi since last wedensday now and is still awaiting a new ecu.

paul

Mine has been with Audi for nearly 4 weeks and they still can't find the cause of my problem. It sounds different to your issues, I basically have an intermittant fault that causes much louder engine noise and rough running but the way it comes and goes point to it being ecu related. I've heard there have been other cases of strange faults being fixed by replacing the ecu on other S3s. Audi won't listen and seem intent on trying everything else first.

Mine has been with Audi for nearly 4 weeks and they still can't find the cause of my problem. It sounds different to your issues, I basically have an intermittant fault that causes much louder engine noise and rough running but the way it comes and goes point to it being ecu related. I've heard there have been other cases of strange faults being fixed by replacing the ecu on other S3s. Audi won't listen and seem intent on trying everything else first.

It sounds like there doing the opposite with yours to ours, they have pretty much gone straight to replacing the ecu on mine, which would be fair enough if they had one to hand but its been 8 days since they ordered an ecu for my car and still ive heard nothing. ive also a feeling that they will swap it and it'll be no better so i'll have to wait even longer before they find the fault.
:keule:

It's the injectors I tell E!
S3-N, what have they done? as I had to go to Audi UK, ask for Chris tell him about my fault and they will help, it's all to do with warranty, and the dealership getting paid.

Apparently they've been swapping parts out with other S3s but anyone could tell them most of these couldn't be causing the fault by the way it comes and goes. There are no fault codes so it took me ages to convince them there was an issue. They finally acknowleged there was a fault but can't find the cause. They actually suggested I take the car away and drive it, possibly for several months until whatever is causing it breaks! As you can imagine i wasn't keen on that idea.

Think it's time to take it to Audi UK - Andy don't s'pose you have this Chris' number/email that you could pm me?

Update: Car is in Basingstoke Audi, who have found it's an over fueling problem to cylinder 1, which they believe is a fault with the ECU!

I amongst overs think it's an injector, so it will be interesting to see.

Shame Reading Audi didn't do these checks when it first happened!!

overfuelling would give a rich misfire as the combustion at that point is a slow burn due to the excess of fuel which then gives a misfire detection.

Usually if this is happening often then you should be able to see a difference in the way the spark plug looks compared to the other 3 'normal' cylinders, this would give a good indication of what kinda problem it is, ie, overfueling or underfueling.

The symptons seems more like a faulty injector or could be a faulty spark plug.

I'd be very suprised if it was the ECU causing problems.

Interested to hear about all these issues.

It's not likely to be an issue with the substandard fuel pump is it. I went and spoke to Awesome GTi at GTi International about uprating the pump as some Leon Cupra owners have had issues with the cam in the fuel pump shedding its coating and causing fuelling issues.

A new APR fuel pump is £700, and a recon about £400, but supposedly it resolves many of the issues with the early version fuel pump (hence why there is a revised fuel pump in the new engine driven off the exhaust cam - I think).

I have cold start issues where it doesn't start, and despite having a Forge FSIT DV the car sounds like its struggling to hold full boost. I've changed the plugs for NGK Iridums which has improved things slightly, but it still doesn't feel quite right. Power feels inconsistent, sometimes she flies, other times she feels idle.

She's going back to the dealers next week as I've just received a flyer from my dealer saying I need to go and have the oil changed in the Quattro system and I should make an appointment immediately.

I never wish ill on anyone, but I'm almost comforted that I'm not the only one having issues.

I asked about the fuel pump, and was told that it would happen to all the cylinders not just 1, however they will be looking at it when they do the injector!

I asked about the fuel pump, and was told that it would happen to all the cylinders not just 1, however they will be looking at it when they do the injector!

Have the ruled out your ecu then andy?

are they changing your injectors?

Ive been informed by audi this morning that the new ecu to try in mine will be arriving with tnt on monday morning, so we'll see if that chenges out.

update from me on monday hopefully.

The way it drives and when the misfire happens seems more a injector than the ecu, it never happens cold or under pressure only when I back off the throttle then push again in the same gear!

The way it drives and when the misfire happens seems more a injector than the ecu, it never happens cold or under pressure only when I back off the throttle then push again in the same gear!

Andy - forgive me if you've already answered this somewhere but I'm surprised your dealer isn't using your extensive modifications as an excuse to do nothing about this and simply use the "invalidated warranty" card on you.

Hats off to you but how have you managed to get round this ?

Iggu, they are!! but I have asked them to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that any or all of my modifications have caused it to fail! Basingstoke Audi have applied to the warranty chappies for a code so they can do it...I wait to see the outcome of this!

Andy are you having the misfire with the remap?

If so have you 'de-remapped' it and driven it to see if the misfire is still there?

When i first had the superchips remap i had a misfire and it turned out to be fuel pressure which affected a few remapped cars so superchips did some investigation and sent us all an updated calibration which solved the problem.

Time for my update then.

Its not the ecu, whats a ****** surprise!

i then asked what they were going to do next and had they any more parts ordered to try. they said that no parts had been ordered and they were waiting for audi hq to decide what to do next as they had to authorize anything else. so that makes it at least wednesday before i see the car again. i can see it taking longer tho. so 2 weeks and counting.

at least my forge intake kit has landed, i just need a car to try it on now.

Injector!! tell them about mine and Basingstoke Audi it might help.
Also did you get the ecu under warranty?

Ive mentioned the injectors numerous times to them but there like robots.

is your sorted now then mate?

the ecu is under warranty but i personally want them to swap it back to my old one so i can just turn my map back on when i get it back rather than driving back up to scotland to get reflashed.

Well audi carlisle never even bothered to phone me today to give me an update, another touch of audis quality customer service, its nice to know the couldnt give 2 sh1ts about me or my car, i'll be giving them hell first thing in the morning.:banghead: