Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

fan belt tensioner needs replacing

ok i been getting some strange noise from the engine (2.0tdi sport) when i rev it the noise goes away, i opened the bonnet and its coming from the belts some where, so i had my mechanic who my family been using for years, and he looked at it and he said that its the fan belt tensioner, phoned audi for that part and they said 60, so i got it of GFS for 35,going to get it fitted tomorrow,funny thing is when i drove back from GFS the noise is gone, took it back to the mechanic, he had a look and said strange, but he noticed atlot of vibration from that tensioner, had anyone else had this problem, oh and the milage is 54k on my car
    cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I had something similar on my Mk4 Golf. It was a kind of a knocking sound and a fan belt screech all rolled into one!! Mine turned out to be a cam belt pulley or tensioner iirc so be careful.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk View Post
    I had something similar on my Mk4 Golf. It was a kind of a knocking sound and a fan belt screech all rolled into one!! Mine turned out to be a cam belt pulley or tensioner iirc so be careful.
    where did you get yours fixed?? dealers?

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    Happened to my S3 got it done on warranty!
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes, took them about 7 weeks to find out what it was . They changed the waterpump, air con compressor, various pulleys / tensioners and finally settled on the cam belt pulley.

4th Gear

Status
    mine well almost 99% that it is the fan belt tensioner, because when you open the bonnet you can see where the noise is coming from,is it a major thing to change?, that tensioner whobbles all over the place when the engine is running lol. its really wierd because when you even rev the engine a little the noise goes away

Mellow Yellow

Status
    didn't know modern cars still had fan belts

***** rent boy

Status
    I've got the same problem, a little WD40 on the inside of the belt seems to cure it!

2nd Gear

Status
    If the free hub/wheel on the alternator has failed it will give similar symptoms.

On the alternator there is a pulley that contains a free hub/wheel these lock up.
    With this failure this causes the V belt tension to fluctuate making you think the V belt tensioner is weak. Some instances the power steering pump can be noisy.

The pulley is around 50 and you need a special tool to remove it. Very common problem often miss diagnosed.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PW-Motorsport View Post
    If the free hub/wheel on the alternator has failed it will give similar symptoms.

On the alternator there is a pulley that contains a free hub/wheel these lock up.
    With this failure this causes the V belt tension to fluctuate making you think the V belt tensioner is weak. Some instances the power steering pump can be noisy.

The pulley is around 50 and you need a special tool to remove it. Very common problem often miss diagnosed.
    you are spot on mate, yesterday a i had the fan belt replaced, that seem to sort out the wobble of the tensioner, but in the end we figured it out it WAS the PULLY on the alternator, it was locked up, so had that replaced, so if your fan belt seems to be wobbling all over the place my advise is to get the PULLY checked,

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    I've got the same problem, a little WD40 on the inside of the belt seems to cure it!
    Same here. On my Golf, it use to screech and a bit of WD40 use to get rid of it!!
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too