JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Things You Didn't Know Your A3 Did!

1st Gear

Status

Things You Didn't Know Your A3 Did!

Saw one of these threads on an old forum i was on and it was quite good to see what other people knew, little tricks, that your car can do with out you knowing!

Things like:

1. Air Con goes into recirculation mobe when you put it in reverse and also when you use the front screen wash!!!! (only found that out yesterday!!! )

2. The indicator sound that comes from the instrument cluster gets louder the faster your going!

I know its a bit geeky but add things if you know anymore!
    2012 A3 Ibis White SportBack Black Edition 140

Mods so far: H&R 50mm, Rain Light Sensor, RNS-E, Cruise control, Interior OEM LED mood light, OEM LED number plate lights, OEM LED Puddle lights, OEM LED Footwell Lights, tear drop wiping, Beep confirm on close, pressed plates, HHA & TPMS.

Red A4 Black Edition 150Tdi.... On order!

Gone But Not Forgotten....
    2011 A1 Black Sline 106
    2006 A3 Red Sline 140

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    See these two threads:
    Nice Touches on the A3
    A3 easter eggs

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    My Bose seems to get louder when the missus starts moaning....usually when cornering too fast!
    RallyX and nezz like this.

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast,not furious View Post
    My Bose seems to get louder when the missus starts moaning....usually when cornering too fast!
    Thats your ears evolving.
    After a while the missus voice turns into white noise, unless shes talking about cars, footie or booze....which is rare.

Its an involuntary evolutionary skill thats protects a mans hearing an sanity.
    nezz likes this.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    I found a compartment under my drivers seat last week, after 8 months of motoring.
    nezz likes this.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

4th Gear

Status
    1. Air Con goes into recirculation mobe when you put it in reverse and also when you use the front screen wash!!!! (only found that out yesterday!!! )

does it i never knew that, how do you do that?? meaning do you need to press one of the buttons before hand?
    Tezgreig likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by khalil View Post

does it i never knew that, how do you do that?? meaning do you need to press one of the buttons before hand?
    No both do it automatically! make sure your not in recirculation mode first put the fan on about 3/4 then do each in turn and you will hear a subtle change in fan noise!

Mods so far: H&R 50mm, Rain Light Sensor, RNS-E, Cruise control, Interior OEM LED mood light, OEM LED number plate lights, OEM LED Puddle lights, OEM LED Footwell Lights, tear drop wiping, Beep confirm on close, pressed plates, HHA & TPMS.

2011 A1 Black Sline 106
    2006 A3 Red Sline 140

1st Gear

Status
    Oh i for got the old setting for washing the car, turn the ignition off and then hit the wiper selector and the wipers will park halfway up the screen so you can access them!

2011 A1 Black Sline 106
    2006 A3 Red Sline 140

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Ing View Post

1. Air Con goes into recirculation mode when you put it in reverse

Why would that be?

edit. doh. its kind of obvious really
    Last edited by treblesykes; 30th August 2008 at 08:35.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    Why would that be?

edit. doh. its kind of obvious really

2011 A1 Black Sline 106
    2006 A3 Red Sline 140

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI-line View Post
    I found a compartment under my drivers seat last week, after 8 months of motoring.
    LOL - funny you saying that - I did the same - it's for the Audi first aid kit apparently.
    Jon

Now A3 less......

5th Gear

Status
    I found out last night it was suprisingly easy to get lift off oversteer
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I found out last night it was suprisingly easy to get lift off oversteer
    my old A3 had that fitted too, not sure if the current model is
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Boydie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Ing View Post
    Oh i for got the old setting for washing the car, turn the ignition off and then hit the wiper selector and the wipers will park halfway up the screen so you can access them!
    I have seen this but didnt know why lol cheers!!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by redbutcher View Post
    LOL - funny you saying that - I did the same - it's for the Audi first aid kit apparently.
    my car came with a first aid kit in that drawer.

1st Gear

Status
    petrol/diesel filler cap has 2 slots in it
    so it sits on the filler cap arm and not on the body work

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    petrol/diesel filler cap has 2 slots in it
    so it sits on the filler cap arm and not on the body work
    i've used that for the past 4 years on my current and previous A3s. Very handy.

3rd Gear

Status
    An old one(new to some possibly).. press the AUTO button for a few seconds to link the two temp controllers, so the passenger one follows the drivers..ideal for people with no mates. Altering the passenger controller removes the link.
    PRCPTN likes this.

jamiekip
    The boot floor has a handle on it to make it easy to get access to the spare, jack, etc. There is a hook on the bottom of the parcel shelf, you can hook the handle on to the bottom of the parcel shelf so it holds the boot floor up when changing wheels.
    PRCPTN likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    The boot floor has a handle on it to make it easy to get access to the spare, jack, etc. There is a hook on the bottom of the parcel shelf, you can hook the handle on to the bottom of the parcel shelf so it holds the boot floor up when changing wheels.
    i always wondered what that was for. my mk5 golf had that too in that case.

Up the owls!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post

I thought that hook was for your take away!
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by consilio View Post
    I thought that hook was for your take away!
    no, the curry hook is over on the left hand side beside the interior light.

is loving his new A3

Status
    i've noticed that the little tray above the stereo is the perfect size for bugger all
    S3DM likes this.
    Oct 06 - Feb 08 VW Polo '06
    Feb 08 - ? A3 1.6 Special Edition '07

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Lol...i thought that tray was the perfect place to hide the missus' credit card...it's about the only feature on the car that she doesn't fiddle with!

When you reverse,and your wipers are on,the rear wipe sweeps your window so you can see who you're about to run over! Wipers revert to intermittent when you stop (in traffic,or at lights etc),and also park in a slightly different spot each time you turn 'em off. To reduce wear on the screen apparently!

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast,not furious View Post
    Wipers revert to intermittent when you stop (in traffic,or at lights etc),and also park in a slightly different spot each time you turn 'em off. To reduce wear on the screen apparently!
    Actually I think it is so that the blades don't memorize staying flat in any one direction. So it parks the edge alternate ways.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

is loving his new A3

Status
    can you imagine the tech guy who came up with that, avoid him at parties

How about the very large plastic bag included in the wheel changing kit to put the dirty wheel in if you have to put the space-saver spare on to the car because of a puncture.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Boydie
    Dont think this has been mentioned - known about this for ages but the newbies might not

Hold and press your unlock button on your key and your windows go down until you let go

Hold and press your lock button on your key and your windows go up!
    nezz likes this.

is loving his new A3

Status
    ok Boydie as you know these little tricks maybe you can help me out with my problem.

From the drivers position i can alter all of the windows. Now my window will go up an down with just one press of the button. HOWEVER the rest of the windows have a mind of their own.

The front passenger window is a shocker, sometimes it goes all the way down with on press, other times have to hold it down. but most annoying is when it is all the way down and press it back up it slides nicely back to the top in one movement, but then it drops down an inch or 2 again.

and i cant stop it, so i press it up again and it does the same. Eventually it stops doing it.

is this a stupid feature or do i have dodgy electric. worst thing is its unconsistent, does one thing on day and another the next.

Boydie
    You can reset your electric windows by doing a series of up down combinations on the drivers side switch

I cannot remember them off hand but there was a thread recently about it - I just went mad with my switch doing all sorts of combo's and it eventually worked lol

S3 LTN
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before.

But was fiddling about yesterday with a front wiper control.
    Now if you switch on your ignition on and switch it straight back off... flick the front wiper control down once.. the front wipers go into service mode... (stay half way across the screen) handy for cleaning too.

Boydie
    It has been mentioned

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 LTN View Post
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before.

But was fiddling about yesterday with a front wiper control.
    Now if you switch on your ignition on and switch it straight back off... flick the front wiper control down once.. the front wipers go into service mode... (stay half way across the screen) handy for cleaning too.
    Seems like you got way too much time on your hands fella!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

S3 LTN
    Quote Originally Posted by FazS3 View Post
    Seems like you got way too much time on your hands fella!
    lol... Boredom in sainsbury car park

cabriolet

Status
    i know its an a4 but couldnt resist trying the wiper thing, got soaked for nothing as it didnt budge, is this something that vagcom can sort.
    why do some models have one thing and others dont?
    my windows dont work from the keyfob either, my old saloon did.
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    i know its an a4 but couldnt resist trying the wiper thing, got soaked for nothing as it didnt budge, is this something that vagcom can sort.
    lol!
    MTM THE ULTIMATE STAGE!

Nearly all of these things are covered in the Owner's Manual, if only people could be bothered to read it.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

cabriolet

Status
    tried laughing fazS3 but still doesnt work mate
    LOTS DONE, LOTS SPENT !!!!

6th Gear

Status
    I'm sure loads will know but some new people wont...

The little sun visor above your rear view mirrow thats hande when the large sun visors dont work, its amazing how may people dont know its there!!!!
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wheelonly View Post
    is it possible to raise the wipers on the A4 with the bonnet closed or do the get stuck? if they get stuck then you should have the service mode feature. if they don't get stuck then there is no need for the service mode as you are able to service your wipers without moving them half way up the screen.

the mkv golf has this feature too and i'm nearly certain the 2002 and 2005 A4s had it too so there's no reason why yours shouldn't.

don't think it is something that can be enabled\disabled with VAGCOM though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast