No Soot Coming From My TDI... Why?

emzino

Reaction score
Hi guys. Been away for a while but that's because the car has been giving me SO much greif =/ Anyway that's another story.

Recently got glow plugs and new boost pipe fitted but everytime I try to give it some (yes I do wait for temp to reach 90 and wait abit more for oil to warm up), I don't see any black smoke from the back and it's worrying me... why isn't it chucking it out?

Car does feel underpowered as well. It seems like after 2.5-2.8k revs, it just gives up. I can hear the Turbo spinning but just not getting to the wheels.

Any ideas?

Thanks

is it not a good things that it doesnt chuck out soot?

my doesnt (touch wood) and feels fine, but if it doesnt feel like the power is getting down but the turbo is spinning...
maybe boost leak?

I thought it was meant to get rid of it. Even the new 170 DPF TDI's do it. Well, they don't everytime anyway. They build it up then chuck it out in one go. Hmmmm I just can't get to the bottom of this problem. Just doesn't feel the same =/

i think it depends on how often you give it some.
have you checked the pipe that was replaced?

Not sure how to =/ Garages charge so much for just checking the car nowadays, don't know who to turn to anymore.

I had the engine management light come on and it said engine temp. sensor so we got that but found that the boost pipe had a hole in it and assumed it was just that. Got it changed and the light went but still it feels under powered and it drinks way too much diesel. It went from 170miles to 140miles when I had done only 10miles... I change gears efficiently too so not sure what's what. If only I had VAGCOM =/

just see if you can tighten the pipe yourself.
plus if they fitte a part and its not working properly they should check the job they have done.

are you sure it aint all psychological? :whistle2:

if you ask nice someone may help with vagcom

Have you tried a power off reset for the ecu to clear any bad adaption resulting from your couple of faults.

You will need to drop the battery off for about 20 minutes to be sure. You will get a few warning lights afterwards but a drive should clear them. You may have to do a full lock either direction to clear the steering assist light.

Paul

MAF gone?!?

My Ma's PD Ibiza felt like the turbo had gone even though you could hear it spinning. £80 later it drove like new!!

If its a 170 tdi then it has a DPF fitted and you shouldnt get any smoke/soot out of it at all. An easy way to tell if there is a DPF fitted is straight exhaust pipes rather than downturned ones.