Massively f**ked off and looking for new wheels...

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright guys...

I was having a rather spirited drive to a mates house down some country lanes last night and while hogging the inside of a bend i hit one of the biggest pot holes i've ever seen. Looked like a crator left my a meteorite or something.

Anyway, the result is this :keule::

SP_A0659.jpg

A right proper mess. Left a nice dint in the alloy rim and split the tyre. Suspension feels fine which is lucky!

So that's now 2 of the wheels which require a refurb. Great.
As a result i've decided to buy a new set of wheels and get these refurbed then sell them. Might go for some OEM S3's or some 19" quality RS4 or new style RS6 reps.
If any of you S3 guys have upgraded to aftermarkets and would like to sell me your S3 rims drop me a PM.

Paul.

Unlucky.

I doubt that wheel can be salvaged to be quite honest.

A scuff yeah, but hell you can see how the metal has deformed all the way inwards with the hairline cracking, not to mention the huge dint that would have to be knocked out with a sledgehammer presumably!

I bet someone will repair it......

Wether or not its safe is anyones guess.....

You going after the council for the cost??
Did you take photos etc.?
I'm assuming you had to stop immediately.
I'd factor in the cost of an alignment check as well, at least.

Sorry to hear. Have you taken the wheel off yet? You might find that the inner rim is a lot worse.

Remember if your trying to claim off of the council, get somebody else phone in to report it and give it a few days before reporting your car so they cant claim they didnt know. Dont know if it will help but better safe..

Like i say it's going to be a new set of wheels and if i have to scrap that wheel and buy another RS6 to make up the set then so be it.
I'll be ringing the council tomorrow to complain, i don't expect to pay road tax and have dangerous roads destroying my car!!

Ocuh, I'd say that was totally buckled and dangerous. Look how the light shines on the upper part of the rim, looks well bent

Why dont you try and get compensation from the council.. it can be done

The 'rules' up here are such that the council must have known about the hole for at least 24 hours before the incident.
How this works, I don't know.
I mean, you could have an unreported hole lying for days/weeks.:uhm:

This particular road is way out in the sticks so people rarely report any damage to roads like that unfortunately.
I accept part of the responsibility, should have known better than to drive in the gutter at speed... I certainly won't be doing it again thats for sure!
I'm thinking the council won't want to know but i'll try anyway. Might just be a case of putting it down to a bad experience and get some new wheels bought.

You pay a fortune for road tax and fuel tax, insurance tax, purchase tax you deserve to have roads that are safe to drive on. A rapid deflation of the tyre could have caused an accident etc.;)

The roads have been getting progressively worse over the last few years. Not that they were much good in the first place.

All the minor repairs that have been carried out over the years then they go and do a **** job patching it up afterwards... Its like an assault course. Notice it more these days.

Some cars dont pass it through to your buttocks, this one does tho ;)

From what I can see it looks like the paint/lacquer has cracked not the wheel itself so it can most likely be safely repaired, best people in country for that are spit & polish in Tonbridge, they are the pro's full stop, every garage I know uses them, mine did that on pothole worse & wasnt permanent & was repaired, of course most councils are liable, hey follow up for sure

that happened to my mate he went to the council and they paid for a new alloy!!
they shoud sort it out

Luckily after further inspection it is only the outer part of the rim which is bent, not the whole lot and there's no sign of cracking in the metal itself. So i think the car is driveable over short distance until i get sorted with new wheels....What a pain. I'll be ringing the council later today when i get time.

It might just be my eyes but the alloy does look bent. Might be hard to get a seal on the tyre.

I say copy the Germans road systems. Do it right in the first place so you dont have to spend the next 20 years patching the bits that have sunk or crumbled away.

I say copy the Germans road systems. Do it right in the first place so you dont have to spend the next 20 years patching the bits that have sunk or crumbled away.

here here:thumbsup:

MintyS3: It is bent but only on the outside edge. Personally i'd rather scrap it i think. I know i wouldn't want to buy a set of refurbed wheels which had been bent. Amazingly the tyre hasn't lost any pressure.
This is a good advertisement for buying OEM products because i have no doubt a cheaper aftermarket wheel would have died instantly.