Forcing the servce reminder, is this possible?

Sem

Reaction score
Guys,

Say for example you buy a brand new A3 with the £250 servicing option which covers servicing for 3 years/36k miles.

The first longlife service was done at 19k and your DIS is saying your next service is due at 39k.

The second service would therefore not be covered under the servicing plan.

What i'm wondering is, could you simply force the service reminder at 35k with VAG-COM so that the service would be covered by the maintenance plan.

In VAG-COM, under Adaption, can you simply set channel 2 to '00001' to bring up the 'SERVICE NOW' message? Is there some other hidden info stored to stop you from blagging your next service a couple of K sooner than it's actually due?

Guys,

Say for example you buy a brand new A3 with the £250 servicing option which covers servicing for 3 years/36k miles.

The first longlife service was done at 19k and your DIS is saying your next service is due at 39k.

The second service would therefore not be covered under the servicing plan.

What i'm wondering is, could you simply force the service reminder at 35k with VAG-COM so that the service would be covered by the maintenance plan.

In VAG-COM, under Adaption, can you simply set channel 2 to '00001' to bring up the 'SERVICE NOW' message? Is there some other hidden info stored to stop you from blagging your next service a couple of K sooner than it's actually due?

Can't you just book it in for a service just before you hit 36k?

Or, you could rag the crap out of the car all the time to bring the "miles to next service" down!

You can book it in for a service at any time.

The service interval is just the maximum time between services that Audi recommend.

For example, your first service was at 19k, it should probably have been at about 17.4 for longlife. If this is correct and you were driving around for 1500-ish miles with the service light on then in theory if they found any faults with the car they could have said they were not covered under warranty as you had not had the car serviced in time.

I had mine serviced at the weekend before the the service was due just because it suited me to go in and get it done.

There's a bit more to it in VAG-COM than just setting channel 2 to 1.

The longlife service interval is set to 744 days or 17500 miles (whichever comes firts) and will vary according to how you drive the car - i.e. you may be told to come in sooner if you drive it like you stole it all the time, but even if you only do 10 miles a day at the speed of a funeral cortege you'll still have to come in after 744 days max.

The longlife service interval is set to 744 days or 17500 miles (whichever comes firts) and will vary according to how you drive the car - i.e. you may be told to come in sooner if you drive it like you stole it all the time, but even if you only do 10 miles a day at the speed of a funeral cortege you'll still have to come in after 744 days max.

If that's the case then it looks like I wouldn't need to fudge anything with VAG-COM!

Cheers mate.

Bristol Audi would not service my A3 TDI under the scheme early, I had to wait for the service indicator to show the service was due!!!

When my service indicator last came on it said xxx days til service due. I can't remember exactly how many, but I soon brought it down.

Sure someone will tell me otherwise, but IIRC it said 1000miles til service due, but seemed to decrement by 50 miles every time I started the ignition, so lots of short journeys brought it down to 0 in about a week - worth a try ;)

I have a full version of Vag Can and was wondering if there is any way to turn the service reminder off? My car has been serviced (by my bf) but the service warning still flashes upon starting the car

Jen,
if you download the latest version of VCDS, under "applications" on the main screen you will see an option to reset your service interval. You can put it onto a fixed or variable interval.

Alternatively, you can do it without vagcom.

On page 15 of your user manual it says the following:

1) Turn on ignition, a spanner symbol will then appear (in the mileage display)
2) Pull the button (mileage reset) to activate reset mode
3) Pull the button once more until "---" is shown in the display. The display switches out of the reset mode if you do not pull the reset button within 5 seconds.