S3 or BMW 135i

Honkers

Reaction score
Went to take a look at both these wonderful machines today but cannot make my mind up. Missus prefer the S3. Me personally, I too like the S3 but several car mags say the engine is coarse, unlike the V6 from the beemer. Is it really noticeable? I know the 135 has the edge on HP and it has twin turbo's but S3 has 4wd (is is permanent 4wd) and its cheaper by 3K. Guys who own one already does it have launch control (same as the Golf GTI)?

135i has a staight six mate, not V6. ;)
Both great cars and a very nice position to be in.. If I had the choice, as hard as it would be (being a VAG man), I would go with the BMW I think. That engine is an absolute peach..

I guess if you can live with how the 1 series looks then thats the one to go for. I'd have to have that engine in the 3 series though!

Another thing going for the S3 is that it comes with a 5 dr sportback which BMW does not have a model in its range to compete with. The options list for the 135 can push its price even further. Can't believe that the M package (Approx 800quid consists of a few M emblems). The S3 is pretty much well equipped in my opinion. Would a chipped S3 bring it on par with the 135 in performance and torque?

Another thing going for the S3 is that it comes with a 5 dr sportback which BMW does not have a model in its range to compete with. The options list for the 135 can push its price even further. Can't believe that the M package (Approx 800quid consists of a few M emblems). The S3 is pretty much well equipped in my opinion. Would a chipped S3 bring it on par with the 135 in performance and torque?

Yeah, remapped S3 would be a touch more powerful than the 135i, but if you remapped a 135i it would kick out ridiculous power!

I honestly don't know what I'd go with, I love my S3 to bits, but that twin turbo straight 6 really is an awesome piece of work, in fact, yeah, I'd take the 135i despite its badge and uglyness!

Also, the quattro isn't really an advantage imho, rwd is much more exciting!

I'm very happy with my S3 , but if i could afford a 135i with some of the peformance parts ( wheels , side skirts , bumpers , splitter , spoiler ) then i would choose that , but it's around 38k's worth, which is used RS4 money!!!!!

p

S3 for me, although the BMW engine is a stonker, I just couldn't live with the looks.

Mark

Was faced with the same decision a couple of months ago. Decided on a facelift s3 for the following reasons:
1. Exterior and interior nicer on s3
2. Lower co2 emisions and fuel consumption on s3 which should mean better residuals in current oil price climate
3. More useable power in the s3 for all those wet days
4. S3 is few grand cheaper

For all I can see the only compelling reason to buy the beemer is the engine. Admittedly I couldn't find one to test drive but by all accounts it's a peach. I was perfectly happy with the test drive in the s3. Didn't find the engine at all coarse and was really impressed with the planted feel and cornering ability. If you can find a 135i to test drive I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Was faced with the same decision a couple of months ago. Decided on a facelift s3 for the following reasons:
1. Exterior and interior nicer on s3
2. Lower co2 emisions and fuel consumption on s3 which should mean better residuals in current oil price climate
3. More useable power in the s3 for all those wet days
4. S3 is few grand cheaper

For all I can see the only compelling reason to buy the beemer is the engine. Admittedly I couldn't find one to test drive but by all accounts it's a peach. I was perfectly happy with the test drive in the s3. Didn't find the engine at all coarse and was really impressed with the planted feel and cornering ability. If you can find a 135i to test drive I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Actually, I must admit, the S3 really amazed me how good it is in the wet. In Switzerland this weekend I drove pretty hard in the wet on the twistys, the levels of grip and the way the car handled almost defied physics!

Lee will testify to this too!

I happen to own a 335i and an 8P S3, so I safely say with assurance that they are completely different in character and power delivery, etc. And you cannot say one is "better" than the other. One is "better" than the other in certain areas, and vice versa. You need to make a list of your buying criteria and score them according to that.

I couldn't own the car that looks like a shoe..

Moderatros note: Can you please read the forum rules regarding signature size

Thanks,

ASN

I happen to own a 335i and an 8P S3, so I safely say with assurance that they are completely different in character and power delivery, etc. And you cannot say one is "better" than the other. One is "better" than the other in certain areas, and vice versa. You need to make a list of your buying criteria and score them according to that.

.....:iagree:

I couldn't own the car that looks like a shoe..

Moderatros note: Can you please read the forum rules regarding signature size

Thanks,

ASN

Does that mean people will get asked to remove the oversize pictures in the bottom of their signature ?

I used to think the 1.35 was as ugly as sin but i saw a white one(with all the toys) in the flesh in Belfast here the other day and had a proper good nosey round it!

I have to say it wasnt half as offensive as i previously thought!! In fact i would go as far as to say that it isnt ugly (IMO of course) but instead it looks quite mean and purposeful!!

It's changed my mind so much that im getting a test drive next week in one before i decide on purchasing the facelift S3!!

I look at a 135D out of the office window every day.
I still can't get used to it, I still think its proportions are all wrong and it looks like a Japanese Microcar.
Like a badly done scale model of a full size car.
So if a gun were held to my head and I was made to choose between the two, it would have to be the S3.
That doesn't mean I like the S3, because I don't, but it would be the lesser of two evils.

This may be true but for me it remains unseen. I was pleasantly surprised by it in the flesh however i am undecided. I will reserve judgment until the test drive.

I havnt driven a 135 but I reckon it will be very good. I had never considered the last M3, but once I drove one and was really impressed to the point where I thought about one before my S3 (pleased I went with the S3 in the end though), and maybe I would be the same if I drove the 135??

What kills it for me though is those looks, I think the S3 looks great and the 135 doesnt (IMO of course), and Im happy to forego what is is possibly better engine and dare I say it `more fun drive` to have a car that I like the look of.
Although I will admit that the 1 series coupe looks a lot better in the metal than in a magazine.

If having that 6cyl Twin Turbo engine with RWD ever became to much temptation I would have the bigger car anyway and go for the 335.
IMO the 135 coupe will always in the shadows of the 3 series coupe which has been universaly desirable for years and years with strong residuals to match.

Then there is the price. The S3 is already a pricey car for the package and the 135 is even more again.
Maybe the 135 is a `grower` who knows, but at the minute I cant get on with the shape.

Good luck and happy shopping, whichever you choose you will end up will an excellent car. Not a bad problem to have.

Paul

you dont seem to like many things bowfer

Oh dry up.
I don't like the looks of the 135 or an S3.
Yeah, that gives you a fair indication of my entire outlook on life, doesn't it.
Sheesh.........

Just passing comment!!!! Most threads you just seem pretty negative, im sure your a right laugh in real life :p

I look at a 135D out of the office window every day.
I still can't get used to it, I still think its proportions are all wrong and it looks like a Japanese Microcar.
Like a badly done scale model of a full size car.
So if a gun were held to my head and I was made to choose between the two, it would have to be the S3.
That doesn't mean I like the S3, because I don't, but it would be the lesser of two evils.

as a matter of interest, what colour is it?

I used to think the same, in fact still do on most of the colours but there's one in white parks in our underground carpark every day, looks ****** sweeet

Bowfer

"I look at a 135D out of the office window every day"

I didn't think BMW did a 135 Diesel. Top of the Diesel range is a 123 as far as I understand on the 1 Series.

Thats what i thought, a diesel engine that big in a 1-series would be awesome

Sorry, you're right, it's a 123D
Same difference, it looks the same as a 135i.
It's black, by the way.
I posted photos of the abhorrance on here some weeks ago.

Maybe the 335i and the S3 are different cars, but I'd say the 135i (which is what the OP wrote about) and the S3 are competitors. Of course one is a 4 cylinder small capacity engine and the other's a 3.0 6 cylinder, but if you asked BMW what the 135's rivals were I'm sure you'd hear the S3 being namedropped.

In that in comparison to raw power?

Not sure what the 135is competition would be to be honest. Would have thought that both the S3 and 135i are fairly unique in the market place.

Different body styles, different engine layout, cylinder count, primarily front wheel drive (4 wheel drive when needed), 2 wheel rear drive. Wouldn't have thought they could be more different personally...?

Maybe the 335i and the S3 are different cars, but I'd say the 135i (which is what the OP wrote about) and the S3 are competitors. Of course one is a 4 cylinder small capacity engine and the other's a 3.0 6 cylinder, but if you asked BMW what the 135's rivals were I'm sure you'd hear the S3 being namedropped.

Sure they may be competitors. But like I said they completely different.

Seems there is alot of speculation as to how good the 135i is to drive. Has anyone one here actually had the pleasure?

Yeah I have. What do you want to know?

Im going to give the old BMW test drive a whirl...........whats the worst that can happen......???

:whistle2:

Seems there is alot of speculation as to how good the 135i is to drive. Has anyone one here actually had the pleasure?

I've driven one (for 2 hours just last week) - it was dynamically better than my S3 in every conceivable way and as I was sat in it grinning like a hoon I knew I had to have one. Then I got out, looked back at it and all I could think of was my grandad's old car:

pic1110c.jpg

So I won't be getting one - call me shallow but there is a limit to how daft I'm willing to look in order to experience the "ultimate" driving machine.