What not to do on your test drive...

J

jamiekip

Taken from Top Gear:

large.jpg

large.jpg

****-Car-Dyke
In the league table of 'really bad things to do on your Audi R8 test drive', this has to be right up there with 'selling it as collateral in a shady drugs deal' and 'attempting to smoke it'.

This is a lake/pond/dyke somewhere near Woerden in the Netherlands (no, we're not making the dyke joke. Grow up). And yes, that lump of metal and carbon fibre in the middle of it is a brand-new Audi R8, as photographed by Dutch blog site www.autojunk.nl.

The R8 was deposited into its watery grave by an as-yet-unnamed 33-year-old Dutchman, who turned up at his local Audi dealer to take the V8 supercar for a quick test drive. A quick spin.

According to police reports, he caught a bump at about 80mph and proceeded to spoon the R8 straight into the pond.

Nobody was hurt in the incident, but we'd imagine that the driver's pride is looking as battered as the R8's sidepod.

:busted_cop:

80mph doesn't sound too bad, but if he found some water he definitely wasn't on a motorway - it would have been a barrier instead.

Nothing a drop of 'T'cut and a hairdryer can't sort out !

Oops!!!!

I've been asked to pull over on a test drive and the sale's man drove the car back to the garage. But I didn't bin the car.

J.

Starting the car with your foot to the floor then immediately switching off ESP usually gets the salesman fidgeting in his seat.

By the way, what colour is that R8? Looks nice!

Lol, what car?

It was a mkIII Golf Vr6. It was a sunday morning, I live near portsdown hill and most nice sundays the bikers go out for a ride. So I kinda went a little quick trying to keep up with them and make up ground round the corners. We stopped at a roundabout, the brakes were smoking, the sales man was saying **** quite a lot leading up to this point. When I stopped waiting for a break in the traffic he screamed at me to pull over and get out.

I did think he was going to leave me stranded on the side of the road :)

J.

It was a mkIII Golf Vr6. It was a sunday morning, I live near portsdown hill and most nice sundays the bikers go out for a ride. So I kinda went a little quick trying to keep up with them and make up ground round the corners. We stopped at a roundabout, the brakes were smoking, the sales man was saying **** quite a lot leading up to this point. When I stopped waiting for a break in the traffic he screamed at me to pull over and get out.

J.

Haha! classic!

When I took the S out for a test drive I nearly smashed into the curb exiting a roundabout!

He said "At the next roundabout go round it a couple of times as fast as you like to test out the quattro"! I was like OK! :)

went round once fastish, and then planted the throttle, the turbo kicked in and lauched us very quickly towards the curb! Just missed it!

I said, "woh! understeer!", he said the quattro pulled it back and saved me!

But he was cool about it, and was quite happy letting me "explore the cars capabilities"!

:) 2 very good examples of why I wouldn't want to sell cars for a living

hehe, but they do get to drive around in some sweet cars, James the guy who sold me the S is currently driving a diesel TT (ok, not so sweet) but before that it was the S3, and he's been given the R8 for a play too, I think he did about 120 miles in it! and obviously loads of other cars, not sure if he's tried the RS6 yet.

When I test drove the MK2 TT 3.2, the guy who was supposed to take me for my test drive, had just walked back in the showroom, white as a sheet.
He introduced himself, had sweaty palms... didn't look good.
Anyway, we sat down, styarted talking, he couldn't write he was shaking so much - I asked if he was OK and he threw up in his bin.
His boss came over and excused him and led him away.
His boss came back and told me this story. "The last couple to come in were looking at an A4 Avant - a baby wagon for the missus - anyway, at a roundabout, she turned right, ie, into the flow of traffic and proceeded to go on to the wrong side of a dual carriageway. The guy had to pull the wheel and steer it off the road. He drove it back" HIs manager thena dded... they didn't even like the car!!!

Another good reason not to be a car salesman!!!!

Ouch, I'm usually too scared to try testing out the capabilities of a car on a test drive. I'm always scared that I would somehow crash it! Like this unfortunate R8 here!

When I test drove the MK2 TT 3.2, the guy who was supposed to take me for my test drive, had just walked back in the showroom, white as a sheet.
He introduced himself, had sweaty palms... didn't look good.
Anyway, we sat down, styarted talking, he couldn't write he was shaking so much - I asked if he was OK and he threw up in his bin.
His boss came over and excused him and led him away.
His boss came back and told me this story. "The last couple to come in were looking at an A4 Avant - a baby wagon for the missus - anyway, at a roundabout, she turned right, ie, into the flow of traffic and proceeded to go on to the wrong side of a dual carriageway. The guy had to pull the wheel and steer it off the road. He drove it back" HIs manager thena dded... they didn't even like the car!!!

Another good reason not to be a car salesman!!!!

****** hell!

I test drove an M3 just latley and pulled over halfway and the front pads were smoking :eek: , the salesman was suprisingly relaxed about it , didn't buy though, just not up to the hype i don't reckon :(

ps never managed to smoke the 3.2's brakes even when worked harder than that...

J.
HAHA Classic...!!