JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    jamiekip

What not to do on your test drive...

Taken from Top Gear:

Dick-Car-Dyke
    In the league table of 'really bad things to do on your Audi R8 test drive', this has to be right up there with 'selling it as collateral in a shady drugs deal' and 'attempting to smoke it'.

This is a lake/pond/dyke somewhere near Woerden in the Netherlands (no, we're not making the dyke joke. Grow up). And yes, that lump of metal and carbon fibre in the middle of it is a brand-new Audi R8, as photographed by Dutch blog site www.autojunk.nl.

The R8 was deposited into its watery grave by an as-yet-unnamed 33-year-old Dutchman, who turned up at his local Audi dealer to take the V8 supercar for a quick test drive. A quick spin.

According to police reports, he caught a bump at about 80mph and proceeded to spoon the R8 straight into the pond.

Nobody was hurt in the incident, but we'd imagine that the driver's pride is looking as battered as the R8's sidepod.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    80mph doesn't sound too bad, but if he found some water he definitely wasn't on a motorway - it would have been a barrier instead.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

I cant spell !

Status
    oops !

Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

Just waiting for the green light

Status
    Nothing a drop of 'T'cut and a hairdryer can't sort out !
    170 S.line manual

Status
    Oops!!!!

I've been asked to pull over on a test drive and the sale's man drove the car back to the garage. But I didn't bin the car.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Starting the car with your foot to the floor then immediately switching off ESP usually gets the salesman fidgeting in his seat.

By the way, what colour is that R8? Looks nice!
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Status
    Black?

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

jamiekip
    Deep 'sea' blue isn't it ha ha ha ha, or 'Dolphin' grey

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    Deep 'sea' blue isn't it ha ha ha ha, or 'Dolphin' grey
    there is always 1
    Nice one
    Ooops just a bit
    Sarah

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
    Oops!!!!

I've been asked to pull over on a test drive and the sale's man drove the car back to the garage. But I didn't bin the car.

J.
    Lol, what car?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by siu00adg View Post
    Lol, what car?
    It was a mkIII Golf Vr6. It was a sunday morning, I live near portsdown hill and most nice sundays the bikers go out for a ride. So I kinda went a little quick trying to keep up with them and make up ground round the corners. We stopped at a roundabout, the brakes were smoking, the sales man was saying Fcuk quite a lot leading up to this point. When I stopped waiting for a break in the traffic he screamed at me to pull over and get out.

I did think he was going to leave me stranded on the side of the road

J.

5th Gear

Status
    It was a mkIII Golf Vr6. It was a sunday morning, I live near portsdown hill and most nice sundays the bikers go out for a ride. So I kinda went a little quick trying to keep up with them and make up ground round the corners. We stopped at a roundabout, the brakes were smoking, the sales man was saying Fcuk quite a lot leading up to this point. When I stopped waiting for a break in the traffic he screamed at me to pull over and get out.

J.
    Haha! classic!

When I took the S out for a test drive I nearly smashed into the curb exiting a roundabout!

He said "At the next roundabout go round it a couple of times as fast as you like to test out the quattro"! I was like OK!

went round once fastish, and then planted the throttle, the turbo kicked in and lauched us very quickly towards the curb! Just missed it!

I said, "woh! understeer!", he said the quattro pulled it back and saved me!

But he was cool about it, and was quite happy letting me "explore the cars capabilities"!

Status
    2 very good examples of why I wouldn't want to sell cars for a living

4th Gear

Status
    or buy an ex demo
    Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    OEM+

Coming soon: VW Passat 2.0TDI 170 DSG

5th Gear

Status
    hehe, but they do get to drive around in some sweet cars, James the guy who sold me the S is currently driving a diesel TT (ok, not so sweet) but before that it was the S3, and he's been given the R8 for a play too, I think he did about 120 miles in it! and obviously loads of other cars, not sure if he's tried the RS6 yet.

jamiekip
    When I test drove the MK2 TT 3.2, the guy who was supposed to take me for my test drive, had just walked back in the showroom, white as a sheet.
    He introduced himself, had sweaty palms... didn't look good.
    Anyway, we sat down, styarted talking, he couldn't write he was shaking so much - I asked if he was OK and he threw up in his bin.
    His boss came over and excused him and led him away.
    His boss came back and told me this story. "The last couple to come in were looking at an A4 Avant - a baby wagon for the missus - anyway, at a roundabout, she turned right, ie, into the flow of traffic and proceeded to go on to the wrong side of a dual carriageway. The guy had to pull the wheel and steer it off the road. He drove it back" HIs manager thena dded... they didn't even like the car!!!

Another good reason not to be a car salesman!!!!

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Wai-Fan's Instagram Channel
    Ouch, I'm usually too scared to try testing out the capabilities of a car on a test drive. I'm always scared that I would somehow crash it! Like this unfortunate R8 here!
    2006/2008 - 52 Peugeot 206 1.4 LX, Platinum Silver

2008 - 04 Audi A3 8P1 2.0 TDi (140) Sport, Mauritius Blue

2013 - 2010 Audi B8 S4, Quartz Grey

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    When I test drove the MK2 TT 3.2, the guy who was supposed to take me for my test drive, had just walked back in the showroom, white as a sheet.
    He introduced himself, had sweaty palms... didn't look good.
    Anyway, we sat down, styarted talking, he couldn't write he was shaking so much - I asked if he was OK and he threw up in his bin.
    His boss came over and excused him and led him away.
    His boss came back and told me this story. "The last couple to come in were looking at an A4 Avant - a baby wagon for the missus - anyway, at a roundabout, she turned right, ie, into the flow of traffic and proceeded to go on to the wrong side of a dual carriageway. The guy had to pull the wheel and steer it off the road. He drove it back" HIs manager thena dded... they didn't even like the car!!!

Another good reason not to be a car salesman!!!!
    Bloody hell!

Neutral

Status
    I test drove an M3 just latley and pulled over halfway and the front pads were smoking :eek: , the salesman was suprisingly relaxed about it , didn't buy though, just not up to the hype i don't reckon

ps never managed to smoke the 3.2's brakes even when worked harder than that...
    A3 3.2 Quattro,Akoya,leather,dsg,dis,esp,4wd,fsh,... steering set to 'gti' mode via vagcom

[churchyard sign]
    "You can't polish a gemstone without friction" ...the 'hassle' of life is that friction,we are the gemstone...

Drive it like its hot!

Status

J.
    HAHA Classic...!!
    A3 170 TDi Quattro S-Line
    Misano Red - Armrest with GSM Phone Prep - iPod Connection - MFSW - Heated Front Seats - Rear Parking Sensors - RNS-E - Cruise Control

Stealth Beast Baby Yay

Status
    It might be going cheap now!! might call them and see, I fancy splashing some cash
    Phantom Black, Revo, 450+ BHP , Milltek Evom's, Autotech fuel pump, RS4 brakes 18" Pro Race 1.2 team Dynamics, H&R ARB's, Bilstein PSS10's, Forge Twintercooler, GT3071R, RS4 Injectors, Helix racing clutch, Custom downpipe de-catted straight pipe to back box, 12.6second 1/4 mile! 4.03 sec's 0-60 This isnt just any car, this, THIS WAS the Stealth Beast!!
    Gone but not forgotten
    VCDS GONE TOO
    http://www.andyoram.co.uk