OIL FROM ALL BOOST PIPES

RGC

Keep on rollin
Reaction score
Hi all,,,

just pulled the bumper of my a3 to see quite a few oil leaks from just about every boost pipe join,

is this normal??

see pictures below

thanks

ABCD0016.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

IMG_2604.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

That shouldn't like that, looks like the engine is pulling over a lot of oil.

whats your oil consumption like?

I cannot see the pics but afaik it is common enough but going by robin's response you might have an excessive amount

the boosts pipes/intercooler pipes need to breath so will spit some oil residue - you would usually find this at the front passenger side inbehind the fog light

When I had my MOT I took off the underside sump tray and it was caked in oil and muck after 4 years of driving so just cleaned it

looks to me like its been doing it for some time now judging by the amount of crap stuck to the belly pan plastics,

it runs fine with no smoke

i have only owned the car for a few weeks now so cant tell the oil usage?

IMO that isn't that bad.... What kind of mileage has the car done? Is it chipped or running higher boost than normal?
Do you drive it hard? I wouldn't be too worried.

It looks more like residue than fresh leaking oil to me and a build up over many miles.
I would probably (carfully) jet wash it off with engine cleaner applied and keep an eye out .
Guess it could be slight vapour leak over many miles with oil haze?..

Mine has done the same amount of miles and the belly pan and lower intercooler pipes look in the same condition.
I just cleaned them off, however I did disconected the boost pipes and no oil dripped out.

It looks normal for that kind of mileage. I had a Golf with the 1.9 TDI engine and it was similar. I would check the joint in the second from last picture though, it doesn't look straight to me and could be coming loose.

As the other posters have said, clean it off, it's then easier to keep an eye on to see if there are any fresh leaks.

At that mileage you would probably benefit from cleaning the EGR valve, there was a recent thread on this: help on 2.0TDI engine