Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status

OIL FROM ALL BOOST PIPES

Hi all,,,

just pulled the bumper of my a3 to see quite a few oil leaks from just about every boost pipe join,

is this normal??

see pictures below

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    That shouldn't like that, looks like the engine is pulling over a lot of oil.

whats your oil consumption like?

Boydie
    I cannot see the pics but afaik it is common enough but going by robin's response you might have an excessive amount

the boosts pipes/intercooler pipes need to breath so will spit some oil residue - you would usually find this at the front passenger side inbehind the fog light

When I had my MOT I took off the underside sump tray and it was caked in oil and muck after 4 years of driving so just cleaned it

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    looks to me like its been doing it for some time now judging by the amount of crap stuck to the belly pan plastics,

it runs fine with no smoke

i have only owned the car for a few weeks now so cant tell the oil usage?

3rd Gear

Status
    IMO that isn't that bad.... What kind of mileage has the car done? Is it chipped or running higher boost than normal?
    Do you drive it hard? I wouldn't be too worried.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    its done just over 75k

5th Gear

Status
    It looks more like residue than fresh leaking oil to me and a build up over many miles.
    I would probably (carfully) jet wash it off with engine cleaner applied and keep an eye out .
    Guess it could be slight vapour leak over many miles with oil haze?..
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)

Neutral

Status
    Mine has done the same amount of miles and the belly pan and lower intercooler pipes look in the same condition.
    I just cleaned them off, however I did disconected the boost pipes and no oil dripped out.
    (8P)A3 2.0 TDI Sport-Dolphin Grey-
    1983 (DAC)Talbot Sunbeam Lotus - Weekend Toy.

Neutral

Status
    It looks normal for that kind of mileage. I had a Golf with the 1.9 TDI engine and it was similar. I would check the joint in the second from last picture though, it doesn't look straight to me and could be coming loose.

As the other posters have said, clean it off, it's then easier to keep an eye on to see if there are any fresh leaks.

At that mileage you would probably benefit from cleaning the EGR valve, there was a recent thread on this: help on 2.0TDI engine
    MY2011 A1 TDI Sport
    Amalfi White, Sat Nav, Bose, Xenon Plus, Climate Control, Competition Line Trim, LED Interior Lights, Light & Rain Sensors, Polygon 18" Wheels. Retrofit Armrest, Cruise Control & Gauge Sweep. VCDS.

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    Thanks Guys

5th Gear

Status
    They dont caal 'em oil burners for nothing you know!
    Porsche 997 Carrera 4 S - Black, Sport Chrono, Sport seats, PCM, Nav, Tel, Park assist and rear wiper (Yes!, its an option!)
    2012 Audi Q7 Sline Plus - Daytona Grey ,Nav+, Wheel upgrade, Storage and tow pack.

Gone -2007 S5 4.2 ,2008 S3, 2007 TTC 3.2, 2007 RS4 Saloon, 2004 S4 Saloon, 2006 A4 2.0T Sline SE,2002 A3 3.2 Sline, 2001 A4 1.8T,2001 Boxster, 1983 911SC,1992 Corrado G60,1988 GTi.

(Vag com owner)