Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

another headunit question

i know its been asked a million times but iv read all the posts i can find and none make sense to me so maybe im a dumb ass or is it realy so much work to fit a aftermarket headunit to a 2005 a3 non bose

iv looked at a few headunits which seem to be as descrete as possible saw a pioneeer deh-6000ub which you seem to be able to change the colour to red

but i dont wanna go and buy a sterio and find out it needs masses of work to get it set up in the car if anyone could help so i know what i need to look for before i buy a sterio or what i need when it comes to fitting it

i already have the facia adaptor place

thanks for any help
    Absolute Red 1999 Audi A3 Quattro
    Custom Code Phase 2,Haldex Performance controller,Pro Alloy front mount intercooler Blue Flame 3 downpipe and high flow cat

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    I've started a thread about this lately. If you've got a non-BOSE system you should be fine mate. Others have done this and they'll know better than me (i'm no expert) but it's a relatively painless task.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    P.S.... It's not the head units which are notoriously difficult to change. Audi have funny screw spacing in the speakers which require adaptors and i've been advised it's not even worth changing the rear speakers as half the car has to be ripped out.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

6th Gear

Status
    Right here we go. Main issues with a non Bose setup will be.

1. Switched Live, the 8P uses Canbus to tell the Stereo that the ignition is on, so you will need to locate a switched live for the stereo.

2. Rear speakers and Sub, these are run from a small amp in with the sub (behind the nearside [UK] boot panel) so you will need modify the existing loom so that you can use the rear/sub pre-outs on the replacement HU to run them.

3. Aerial amp feed, you will need an VAG group power injector adapter (Autoleads do one) to power up the masthead amp.

Usually the stock HU will have the pinouts on a diagram stuck to it.

Speakers is a whole new subject and there are a few threads in the ICE section on the subject, including my build up thread.

Regards,

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by ste_1210 View Post
    i know its been asked a million times but iv read all the posts i can find and none make sense to me so maybe im a dumb ass or is it realy so much work to fit a aftermarket headunit to a 2005 a3 non bose

iv looked at a few headunits which seem to be as descrete as possible saw a pioneeer deh-6000ub which you seem to be able to change the colour to red

but i dont wanna go and buy a sterio and find out it needs masses of work to get it set up in the car if anyone could help so i know what i need to look for before i buy a sterio or what i need when it comes to fitting it

i already have the facia adaptor place

thanks for any help
    It nearly killed me reading that!

Neutral

Status
    so for the switched live i just come off the ignition for the rear amp do the do a loom for it to work or do i need to cut into the harness of the car iv seen the aerial aplifiers on ebay i wont be changing the factory speakers the volume is fine for me i just want a little more control of the sound and the ability of mp3 ect...
    Absolute Red 1999 Audi A3 Quattro
    Custom Code Phase 2,Haldex Performance controller,Pro Alloy front mount intercooler Blue Flame 3 downpipe and high flow cat

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue View Post
    VAG group power injector adapter

i think i need one of these as my radio reception sucks,

what does it look like, can you get them on ebay?

6th Gear

Status
    Yes you can see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC5-...d=p3286.c0.m14

For an example.

I was lucky with the switched feed as MarriedBlonde had already installed one off of the power run to the DSG selector in my car.

I just had to tidy it up and split it to my car kit and HU.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

5th Gear

Status
    I have found the Becker Cascade pro a very good HU. Easy to install and it integrates fantastic with the Audi dash. I have only got a pic of one in my A4, but here you go.

Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

RGC
    I void warranties"!

Status
    thanks