Window scratches

steve184

Reaction score
Surely this can't just be happening to me but, on my 18 month old A3 the windscreen has at least 20 minor hairline scratches on it - they just keep appearing everywhere???? Very annoying as you can't get rid of them

Anybody else have a problem with this

Not sure how im supposed to prevent it - not drive the car at all perhaps and leave it on the driveway?????

where is your car parked?

Is it near someplace where there could be more dust dirt etc in the air? I noticed that parked at my parents house if for a few days there seemed to be grit that came off of the roof when it rained. Maybe giving the blades a quick wipe if it has been sitting?

What's your wash process?

If you use a sponge it could be swirls caused by grit trapped between the surface of the sponge and glass.

no i wudnt say more grit than any other place - just normal dust you get in the air which covers everyones car when its dry, its not sponge scratching glass its the wipers - but i dont know what else im supposed to do - i clean them regular, clean the glass regular and polish the glass regular and every week i seem to get a new scratch appear - don't get me wrong they are not deep, they are just light ones that look like smears - so annoying, never had this problem with any other car!

Believe me normal dust is all it takes but if you say it's wipers are the scratches appearing in the same place and only in the path of the wipers?

so if its all it takes - is everyone in the same boat? Cos i can't see how i can stop dust from getting on the window, and also cant change the fact that when you squirt ur washers the first sweep of the wipers are pretty dry on the windscreen until the water spreads (***** water jets)

Yeh scratches only in wiper area and most follow the curve of the wipers on the screen - so obv caused by the wipers, but the wipers are quiet and in good condition and wipe the window (when wet) without smearing or juddering or anything

Have you tried giving the glass a proper polish?
Try Autoglym Glass Polish (not FastGlass) this may help get rid of it?
I've never noticed this sort of thing myself TBH