Just bought an A3 and have a few issues - can u help??

jrsteeve

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here so hello! Anyway there are a few little problems with my 2005 1.6fsi 3dr A3, and hope you can help me out.

1. The wipers are auto which is fine, but unless the car is moving they won't work at all. With the ignition on and standing still, flicking the stalk up and down does absolutely nothing - any ideas?

2. I think the front washer jet pump has gone as it makes no noise and doesn't work, does anyone know which fuse number it is so I can check that first?

3. The 'bonnet open' light is pretty much permanently on even tho itssecurely closed, any quick fixes or is there a fuse i can remove?

4. The alarm seems to go off occasionally (could be due to the 'bonnet open' thing, but seems to go off more often if i press lock twice on the remote rather than once - any ideas?

Think thats it for now lol but would seriously appreciate any help, especially as its literally 2 days out of warrenty :(

cheers!

1. The wipers are auto which is fine, but unless the car is moving they won't work at all. With the ignition on and standing still, flicking the stalk up and down does absolutely nothing - any ideas?

have you checked the fuse box? it is on the right hand side of the engine under a rectangular cover

2. I think the front washer jet pump has gone as it makes no noise and doesn't work, does anyone know which fuse number it is so I can check that first?

there is a list of fuse numbers in your service book/ instruction manual

3. The 'bonnet open' light is pretty much permanently on even tho its securely closed, any quick fixes or is there a fuse i can remove?

again, check your service book to find the fuse and see if its blown but you might have a faulty boot catch. this is a common enough problem in all cars

4. The alarm seems to go off occasionally (could be due to the 'bonnet open' thing, but seems to go off more often if i press lock twice on the remote rather than once - any ideas?

Probably is to do with the bonnet but you can deactivate the alarm by pressing the two buttons on the width of the drivers door - if they are lit up red, this means they are off

If you are only 2 days out of warrenty, that should not be a problem at all. If you are refused, get onto Audi HQ and make a formal complaint

cheers for the reply, will have a look at the fuses in a minute. Just called Audi and they won't help regardless of the fact its just out of warranty - ********!

having now read the manual (as i should have done in the first place) it now looks like most if not all of the problems are being caused by the 'bonnet open' thing! Anyone know a quick way of disabling it?

Call audi customer services and explain to them that your car is 2 days out of warranty and the dealer is refusing to deal with the issue as a warranty claim. Make a big stink of it, dont be bullied by them!

Do as suggested ^^ but phone them anyway to see how much the bonnet catch costs

I wouldnt be paying a penny if the car was just out of warrenty!

Where did you buy the car? If it's a trader, it should have a warranty anyway (3months I think) .

The bonnet open sensor on A3s is within the bonnet catch (unlike some other cars that use a plunger which shorts to earth). Have a look at the 2 wires leading to the catch for damage. If you need a replacement catch it may be worth snipping those wires and splitting them apart or joining them together, one of those will fool the car into thinking the bonnet is closed. Most likely you'll have to join them.

Hey cheers for the messages. The good news is that i'm booked in with Audi on Fri (just called the service centre direct, they checked my details and said its still under warranty!)

The wipers and water pump both work fine, they're disabled by the 'bonnet open' warning. Managed to check when the warning went off for a minute. So it looks like all the faults are being caused by the bonnet sensor!

:icon_thumright: