Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

DIS and other things

I have a 2005 A2 2.0tdi SE Sportback and would like to retrofit DIS. Whats involved, the likely cost and the best place to get the parts? Has anyone produced an aide memoire?
    Also whats involved with retrofitting the RNE nav/radio thingy. Whats the typical retrofit costs and again has anyone experience??
    Thanks in advance
    Russ

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    DIS retofit has been discussed many times. Not worth doing, far too much work involved.
    RNS-E retrofit is easy enough if you have a double din radio unit. If you only have the single player then it is trickier and more parts are needed (hazard switch etc + cutting down your climate control unit either side).
    The RNS-E is typically worth between 500-600. Just sold mine for 500.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

5th Gear

Status
    Ross Tech show a coding change for the addition of the on-board computer. If you have the full height display already then maybe you could just add the new wiper stalk and re-code it to enable it? It certainly works on the A4.
    Last edited by Issac Hunt; 12th August 2008 at 08:34.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

is loving his new A3

Status
    audi garage in blackburn wouldnt even consider it when i asked about the DIS retrofit, despite being told when i bought it that any retro fit is possible at a later date.
    Oct 06 - Feb 08 VW Polo '06
    Feb 08 - ? A3 1.6 Special Edition '07

5th Gear

Status
    Audi dealers will usually only attempt jobs that are officially sanctioned by Audi themselves for warranty reasons. Eg they will fit cruise as there is an official 'kit' for doing the job but most wont fit an RNS-E as there is no official Audi kit or procedure.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks guys for all your inputs - V helpful!
    Like the idea of the wiper stalk change (I have a full height display) and a recode that sounds simple and easy. Anyone attempted this on a 2005 or later A3?
    I currently have a concert single DIN unit so would involve a double dIN cage. Is the RNS-E a useful addition; what extras does it provide?
    Cheers
    Russ

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdz840 View Post
    Is the RNS-E a useful addition; what extras does it provide?
    Fully integrated DVD sat nav and radio with SD card slots that let you play MP3s.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5