iPhone 3G and the iPod Doc

odnet

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecustard.com
Hi all,

Long time no post, have been reading most days though!

Anyway, just a quick one.... Has anyone else suffered the same problem as me? I recently upgraded my iPhone to iPhone 3G (well, it was a 'free' upgrade *cough cough new 18 month contract cough cough*!!).... took it home, updated it with some music etc as you do, went to sick it in the dock in the glove box and bang, the ****** things too wide!!??? OK, this isn't a major problem as I've got an older iPod for use in the car anyway, but its a bit of a pain as I used to use the dock to charge the iPhone when I'm working away....

Does anyone know if Audi will be bringing out a new dock to resolve this problem or should I just get myself online & buy a car charging kit??

....oh, and 10K in & only a couple of minor problems with the S3 so all good there!

Cheers

Ivan

Iphones / Itouches are always a problem in cars.
Even Dension have taken ages to come up with a suitable dock.

not only that, but as of the 3G iPhone some accessories now fail to charge over the dock connector properly.

It'd be interesting to see if it works in the Audi connector.

as for the dock... audi take 3 years to respond to new technology.. Apple release a new iPod/Phone every year. I think we all know how likely they are to catch up..

For the record, my itouch does work in my colleague's Golf.
It just fits into the glovebox dock and no more.

Unfortunately, if the cradle/interface was not specifically made for iphone the iPhone 3g wil not allow you to charge from it!!
I
have a dension in my A3, my old iPhone was fine, but the new 3G shows a big warning triangle and basically says .. 'Go and buy an official Apple charger as we want to screw you for every penny you have! - We have given you a free phone, now give us some cash!!'..

Or something like that!!

Unfortunately, if the cradle/interface was not specifically made for iphone the iPhone 3g wil not allow you to charge from it!!
I
have a dension in my A3, my old iPhone was fine, but the new 3G shows a big warning triangle and basically says .. 'Go and buy an official Apple charger as we want to screw you for every penny you have! - We have given you a free phone, now give us some cash!!'..

Or something like that!!

Does the 3G work with normal bluetooth?

Yes, Bluetooth is fine, just the standard iPhone bugs (buzzing before a call etc)

I

Or something like that!!

haha, yeah, i second that!.... still, at least todays update sorted half the bugs they shipped it with!... sorry, off thread and non-car related gripe!

flea bay it is then! :thumbsup:

cheers

ivan

I've got the dock in my glovebox and an ipod touch. Fits perfectly.

Car came with an assortment of small widgets (for want of a better phrase) that help locate different ipods. In saying that the missus has a 2nd gen nano and that fits perfectly using the same widget I use for the touch.

It would charge yes but if you only want a charger you can fit a 12v step down USB socket anywhere in the car and run it from the fuse box.

Not read the thread in a bit of a rush, but mine fits with the right spacer, it is a bit of a squeeze though! Also apple have removed the firewire interface from the iphone so you can't charge it through the 12v pins which is annoying.

I spoke to audi when i was specing up my S3 in regards to the ipod dock. They said, not to spec the car up with the dock, instead, order with out and then get audi to fit the ipod adapter. Difference being, you get a cable instead of the slide in dock, so all the ipods, including the iphone 3G will fit! I'm not sure what they can do if you already have a dock, worth askng though!

This might work...

dock-e2b_large.jpg