AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

2.0 tfsi how to remove the air filter

how do i remove the air filter on my 2.0t ? is it under the main plastic cover on the engine ? cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Funnily enough, I did this very thing today!. Yes, it is under the plastic cover, but you need to follow a few simple bits of guidance. Iggu's recent thread about his intake has some very good advice, and I started a thread a couple of days ago that now contains some further hints and tips to remove the engine cover (basically getting the engine hot makes it a whole lot easier ).

Phil
    Sprint Blue S3 with silver-grey leather/alcantara, RNS-E with BOSE, FBMFSW and a few stealth mods....

1st Gear

Status
    Here you go, link to my thread on this subject:

Air Filter Replacement

Phil
    Sprint Blue S3 with silver-grey leather/alcantara, RNS-E with BOSE, FBMFSW and a few stealth mods....

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers mate

3rd Gear

Status
    Got this info off the TEX. Its not an A3 but the engine cover is the same...

1. Unclip the two metal clips.
    2. Unclip the MAF sensor and pull out of the way.
    3. Undo the air intake or undo the clip right behind the box area.
    X. Pull. Cuss. Repeat. After a few attempts, pull harder and wiggle cover out. But don't pull to hard or in the wrong place, you can crack the cover!

These are the mount points (4 of them) on the engine. If there are any rubber pieces on the posts, pull them off and put them in the cover before re-assy.

And here's the underside of the cover showing the mount points

Fitting your new air filter

1) Turn cover upside down (place on something soft, as to not scratch the top).
    2) Restore mounting bushings if you haven't done so yet.
    3) Depending on how you took off the cover, remove the intake hose and the clamp.
    4) Loosen 8 screws (circled in green). NO NEED TO REMOVE!

5) Separate cover halves from the front. Slowly, as there are hinges at the rear (by heatshield).

6) With pieces apart, change air filter.

When putting pieces back together, start with the hinge, and hold the air filter--so it doesn't fall out. Make sure screws are still pulled out, or cover won't seal. Follow steps in reverse to restore cover back to service.

All above thanks to Syntrix and Chuibacca from the TEX.

Last edited by Rabbit222; 7th August 2008 at 21:07.
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

jamiekip
    Good work that man!
    Mod's - maybe make this post a sticky???

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers mate.
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

1st Gear

Status
    When you refit the cover, make sure that you remember to reconnect the MAF, otherwise you will have the emission light on within 10 miles or so (so says the man who forgot when he did his today !)

Phil

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiekip View Post
    Good work that man!
    Mod's - maybe make this post a sticky???
    You're better off posting a link to this thread (and Iggu's!) in the FAQs thread. We can't really have a sticky for every single How-To.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I recently picked up a 2007 A3 2.0T...love this little thing! I had trouble with the air filter, but found this video for the complete procedure: Air Filter How-To: 2006-2013 Audi A3 - 2007 Audi A3 2.0L 4 Cyl. Turbo