RNS-E & VAGcom

Kris

Reaction score
Just fitted an RNS-E in my 07 S3, after reading all the retrofit posts i couldn't beleive how easy it was. All of 10 minutes to pull my Concert unit out and plug in the RNS-E with no adaptors required and later in the day another 20 minutes to pull the glove box and mount the sat receiver. All is working well but if anyone can help with VAGcom as i beleive it may throw up faults if not coded? and i also want the S3 start up screen. I live in Nott's but any excuse for a drive is good within reason. The obligotory beer tokens will be offered.

Can anyone help ...... pleeeease.

Thanks
Kris

oh yeah, that reminds me... I need to get my splash screen sorted too...

good effort... its a breeze innit.

i am more than willing to help with any vag com issues but i am a bit far from you..........

Appreciate the offer, if no one closer steps up i may take you up on it. Less than a 2 hour drive depending on where in Cheshire you are. I've got sat nav and the S3 does 50 plus mpg on a run (not) :)

Thanks

Your car shouldn't be showing any errors, because of RNS-e install, except for a 'ZF Output' error.
This is because of the different aerial system used in the RNS-e. This cannot be cleared with VagCom, it needs a new converter-box-thingy. JohnS3 has posted a great thread about the fix, it costs about £150.

This is only a minor fault though, and as long as you have decent radio reception most people leave the fault on. Unless the dealer specifically scans the radio module they will not even pick it up.

I am in leicestershire, so if you want your splash screen coding or some other tweaks I would be more than happy to help you out.

i take it it will work without any codeing, allbeit not 100%? Im bidding (well, im outbidded at the moment lol) on one on ebay at the moment but dont have a vagcom lead, only an OBDII canbus one. Hope Im not bidding against anybody here...

i take it it will work without any codeing, allbeit not 100%?

Dependant upon your car it should work fine without any coding, but you may have to code the DIS to work.
I see that your car is 2003, does it have double din dash or single?

Don't you also need to check through VAG.COM that the wheel sizes are coded correctly? I'm sure I had to adjust mine when I retro-fitted my RNS-E. I understood that RNS-E untilises the ABS sensors to supplement the satellite data or when satellite is not available (eg heavily built up areas, tunnels etc).

I'm in Peterborough and have VAG.COM. Not used it in a while, so my knowledge might be a little rusty :think:, but the offer's there. :)

Cheers

Gary

Dependant upon your car it should work fine without any coding, but you may have to code the DIS to work.
I see that your car is 2003, does it have double din dash or single?

single din at the moment, will need to get the rest of the switches/cage etc too!

Your car shouldn't be showing any errors, because of RNS-e install, except for a 'ZF Output' error.
This is because of the different aerial system used in the RNS-e. This cannot be cleared with VagCom, it needs a new converter-box-thingy. JohnS3 has posted a great thread about the fix, it costs about £150.

This is only a minor fault though, and as long as you have decent radio reception most people leave the fault on. Unless the dealer specifically scans the radio module they will not even pick it up.

I am in leicestershire, so if you want your splash screen coding or some other tweaks I would be more than happy to help you out.

If it's only the ZF thing (whatever that is), for £150 i'd leave it as it is.

Would really appreciate it if you could set up the S3 splash screen. Can you PM me as to when would be convenient to you and obviously contact details.

Mucho thanks.

If you have access to vagcom you should code the instrument cluster to let it know navigation is fitted. The RNSe needs to be coded to suit the options fitted to your car (not the car it came out of) such as tyre diameter, bose, MFSW, phone prep, aux input, LHD/RHD (so the voice comes from the correct side) & startup screen. A full list of codes can be found here

i take it it will work without any codeing, allbeit not 100%? Im bidding (well, im outbidded at the moment lol) on one on ebay at the moment but dont have a vagcom lead, only an OBDII canbus one. Hope Im not bidding against anybody here...

maybe not, it seems to have vanished off of ebay altogether... :uhm:

Ah, ok so it's a motion visual when you startup.... And needs to be enabled. Got ya, wasn't sure.
Thanks

Thanks for sorting the VagCom, really is so much easier listening to voice guidence from the right hand speaker :)

Also thanks for the offer of help and info :thumbsup:

Screenlogo2.jpg