Not a VW forum but thought I'd share....

Rabbit222

Reaction score
Website
www.vwclub.co.za
Got this link from a thread on our local VW Club forum....
MotorAuthority said:
VW_Golf_Mark_VI_MotorAuthority_001.jpg

VW_Golf_Mark_VI_MotorAuthority_002.jpg

VW_Golf_Mark_VI_MotorAuthority_004.jpg

VW_Golf_Mark_VI_MotorAuthority_005.jpg

VW_Golf_Mark_VI_MotorAuthority_006.jpg

The covers have finally come off from Volkswagen’s sixth-generation Golf hatch thanks to an early leak of images on several Internet forums. Expected to make its official debut later this month before going on display for the first time at October’s Paris Motor Show, the new Golf looks incredibly like the current Mark V but differs slightly due to its Scirocco-style headlights and Touareg tail lamps.
The interior also picks up several influences from the Scirocco, with squarish air-conditioner outlets and a similar center stack. There will be numerous engine choices for the Golf including a new 1.6L TSI engine developing 200hp (147kW) as well as a high-performance 2.0L turbo version with 240hp (179kW) in the GTI model. Eventually, VW will also add its new three-cylinder range of engines. The new motors will displace between 1.0 and 1.2L and develop around 75hp (66kW) thanks to forced-induction technology.
With climate change a major part of today’s current affairs VW has also announced a 30% more fuel-efficient version. The BlueMotion models utilize slow-shift gear boxes that reduce fuel consumption as well as low-resistance tires to save extra fuel. The final addition could even be a new diesel-hybrid model as previewed by the recent concept version, but its arrival is still several years away.
VW officials have also confirmed that all versions of the car, both left and right-hand-drive models at its hometown plant in Wolfsburg, Germany.

Hmm....Erm, not sure what to think of that! Are they trying to make the Golf as dull as possible to not take buyers away from the Scirocco??

That side shot of the 3 door looks nice, not really that different from the MK5 in profile actually.
Not sure how that new wide grill will translate on the GTi ? Its not very `sporty` looking.

It looks ok, if a bit lardy. I think it needs to be viewed in the flesh. As said the side profile looks as you'd expect, but front on its looking very wide, either that or squashed down lol :blink:

In red with an Abt kit or smilar it could look very nice. I'm interested in the 1.6 TSi developing 200 hp.

What a disappointment
Front part of the profile that looks like the Scirocco is nice. Rest of it looks like a Polo from the side. Dont like the front at all! But like the Mk5, I'm expecting the GTI version to give it much improved looks up front. Rear tails I dont like. All I like about the rear is the fact they dont have that large fat unpainted lower valence any longer. Overall very disappointed but hoping for salvation from the GTI. Engine options do sound rather promising though

VW have finally got old!!!

Such a dissapointment, they may as well put a Peugoet badge on it!! :unsure:

I like it. Looks better than the Mk V (IMO).

So when do we get the new A3?

My initial reaction (as above) is that the car looks dull as ditch water. However this always applies to new cars...

The last model released in every model is always the hottest and best looking with the full sports kit. The full bag of tricks in other words.
So when we're presented with images of the new bog standard base model like this it's always going to look mundane.....

Compare these photos to the original photos of the last Golf and it's probably a much better/modern looking car. No doubt there'll be some nice technical advancements also which will filter to the next generation A3.

For example, the MK5 went from:

This

800px-VW_Golf_rear.jpg

To This:

DB2007AU01535_medium.jpg

Not a bad evolution during it's life, so lets not be too hasty!

Depending on who you believe out of Auto Express or Autocar, the MkVI GTI will have either a 1.8TFSI engine developing "no less than 200PS" (Auto Express), or a 2.0T 211PS engine with valve lift technology, as seen in the A4/A5 (Autocar). Furthermore, Autocar say it will be available to buy in the UK from spring 2009.

In addition, according to Autocar, there will be no direct R32 replacement, but a 4WD R version of the Golf GTI with an uprated 265PS version of the GTI's engine.

This is all from memory, so apologies for any mistakes.

Oh dear more p/shop drama :)

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080807.009/vw-golf-vi-gti-gets-11hp-more--gti-r-to-replace-r32

Within days of the new Golf VI media release, talk about the sporty GTI version is already emanating. According to VW insiders who spoke with Autocar, the Golf GTI will get 11hp more for a total of 211hp. Increase in power is a result of VW's new global 2.0-liter turbo EA888, which is equipped with Audi's new variable valve-lift system. VW also made access to the turbo and oil cooler easier, therefore, keeping service times/costs down.
The GTI will also look the part with more distinctive body kit, taillights, 18 and 19-inch wheels and headlights with Audi-style LED daytime driving lights.
Unfortunately, the R32 and its sonic V6 engine are being dropped due to EU emissions legislation. However, VW will, in spirit, bring it back via an all-wheel-drive R variant called GTI-R. It will be powered by the 265hp 2.0 TFSI found in the Audi S3.
The new GTI is expected to tease enthusiasts in concept form this October in Paris. Market launch will be spring 2009.

9080807.009.1M.jpg

"It will be powered by the 265hp 2.0 TFSI found in the Audi S3."

I think it's more likely it will be powered by an uprated version of the 211hp valve-lift engine, not the engine straight out of the current S3.

That 211hp engine in the A4/A5 has the same peak torque as the S3 - 350nm. Anyone wanting a GTI R would surely expect a 265hp version to have more torque than the standard GTI.

Are the new facelift S3s using the same engines as ours? Or are they being replaced with the new 2.0TSI units?

They're slightly different to reduce emissions and improve economy.

Don't know what the changes are though.