Retrofit facelift white DIS?

Staz

is a retronaut
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know this question was asked when we first saw pics of the facelift interior, I wondered if anyone knew any more on if it can be done easily or not. I would have thought it´s plug and play.

Also how much is the new instrument cluster for an S3??

It is plug and play but its fairly expensive...Over 500 Euros if IIRC. And thats when you give your old unit back to Audi. Otherwise its even more expensive.

Hmm yes a tad expensive.

Hand your unit back to Audi? Never heard of trading parts in like that!

There are loads of parts that are exchange items from Audi, you order a new one and they take your old unit back.

Think it would not be a easy as plug and play mind, lots of coding to do so the car would recognise a new cluster display.

I would have thought it would be nearer a grand for a new S3 cluster when my mrs 1.4 2002 polo cluster was going to cost her 400 quid from the dealer.

Certain parts are exchange only. It is usually for damaged parts and they'll take them away and recondition them.

We changed our mileage and speedos over to km\h in Jan 2005 and I enquired with the dealer about changing my Jan 2004 odometer over from miles to kilometers and they told me that the odometer was an exchange part. I think at the time the cost was ridiculous, plus there was labour on top for coding and stuff. I had the odometer out of my brother's gti last week (for reasons I won't go into!) and it is a simple task. With VAGCOM you'd be able to do any recoding necessary without having to pay the dealer.

You might find them popping up on eBay in a bit after people start writing their facelift models off. Wouldn't pay 500 quid for one, but if I found a used one at a good price with less mileage on it that my own I'd snap it up. (The reason for lower mileage than my own is that you can adjust the mileage once and once only on the cluster and it can only be adjusted upwards.) No point buying one that's done 100000miles if your own car has only done 10000.

I did not know that!

I don't suppose you can order just the DIS panel and fit that can you?

I'm not desperate for the mod, but if it was pretty cheap and easy I'd consider it. Along with many others I'd expect.

Think its the whole cluster or nothing I'm afraid...

I may be wrong though...

all or nothing. The cluster comes as one unit which caused problems on the old model when the DIS display failed and Audi had to replace them under warrenty. There is a guy on ebay that repairs them, maybe he would be able to alter them too? This is of course, assuming that its not just coloured perspex :)

I thought all the imobiliser/key codes were stored in the cluster and the recode is a dealer only job??

the immobilser is definitely tied into the instrument cluster.

when i was doing some work on my brother's gti last week I removed the cluster amongst other things. I had to head over to the garage to return the s3 in the middle of it so i went to move his car out of the way and the engine started and then cut out immediately. i thought I'd broken something or touched something with something I shouldn't have. it was only when i put the cluster back in that the engine wouldn't cut out.

not sure what coding needs to be done. might check it out and see what i can find.

You will need to match the cluster to the ECU and keys.

Unless you can find a new cluster with the SKC or one of the dash correction agencies that can read the SKC from the new cluster, it will be a dealer job as they link in secure to Germany to match keys etc.

Paul

all or nothing. The cluster comes as one unit which caused problems on the old model when the DIS display failed and Audi had to replace them under warrenty. There is a guy on ebay that repairs them, maybe he would be able to alter them too? This is of course, assuming that its not just coloured perspex :)

This might be an option.

If Audi can recondition them then you must be able to strip them down. Assuming the drivers chip is either included in the LED panel or can handle both types of LED then I bet it's a pretty simple mod. As long as you have access to the parts that is.