help on 2.0TDI engine

ferepe

Reaction score
hi guys

recently I found out that my 2.0TDI runs quite strange on idle. normally I had about 800rpm, but then it rises to about 950-1000rpm without any input/reason. after doing a couple of miles it returns back to 800rpm, then it rises back to 1000 (or time to time it keeps going 1000)..I thought it's because of A/C, but first it didn't do it before, and then it does the same whether the A/C is on or off.. any advice on that?

I plugged VAG-COM and it doesn't return any fault. One thing I remember, that before it started to do this strange things I had the battery disconnected for about 10mins (unintentionally). thnx.

which 2.0TDI is it? On a 170 this would be attributed to the DPF going through a regeneration cycle. On the 140 i'm not sure. Have to admit i had this with my old 140, it would never do it in front of a dealer though so never got to the bottom of it. I know how annoying it is though, as the 140 isn't very smooth at 1000rpm - it vibrates a little - this really used ot bug me. Thankfully the 170 i have now is much smoother, and even at 1000rpm when regenerating the DPF it still runs smooth and doesn't vibrate like the 140 does.

If you have disconnected the battery it may have lost its throttle adaptions.

thanks guys,

it's a 140hp engine, I have it since 1.5 year already and it didn't do that before. that's why I find it strange.

I'll try to find out something about adaption in VAG-COM. any help about that? I thought it pops-up a fault anytime if there's something unusual with engine parameters.

My car's a bit similar but only idles rough when its cold....

I think mine might be down to a broken or dirty EGR Valve...

Got the same car as you.

I'm going to pull out my EGR and manifold off and give it a good scrub and see what that does but from all the people that have cleaned otu their EGR and Manifold, their Idleing has improves significantly...

OR...

It could have lost its throttle adaprtions as said before.

To do this, you just keep driving and it will reset naturally or on my Golf (Not sure on A3), I used VAGCOM to realign the throttle body.

But i thought the diesel engines didn't have a throttle body...i thought they ran on how much fuel injected...

so finally I had a time to play with VAGCOM. I checked for fault codes again (no faults found), but cleared it anyway afterwards. then I tried the adaptation fuction on 01-engine control module.. both engine running on ilde and engine OFF.. and still the same.. it goes app. 835rpm on idle and then back to app 950-1000rpm. and switching between these values all the time without any logic (I tried different temperatures/driving regimes, but apparently no influence on that).

I didn't know it adapts itself after while (after battery had been D/C). Anyway, I drew about 3000 kms since that, so it should be recovered already.

Pls, let me know how did you get on that valve you mentioned. Isn't that valve monitored by ECU as well? (I mean for fault report in case it brakes down)

I'm cleaning out my EGR Valve tommorrow :D

I'll give it shot and see how it goes but everyone that has done it says the car idles better....

Soemone suggested that the Flap Motor might be a knackered but fingers crossed its just dirty...

But i shall let you know tommorrow

Any luck with ffinding this fault as i myself am suffering from the same problem ... ?

Thanks

Same Problem but I do have DPF, due 1st Service soon so lets see what the dealer says,

A3 2.0 Tdi 170 Quattro Sline

and there was me thinking these audis are relaible :( i hope this turns out to be a cheap easy fix. I've had mine unde Vdub diagnostics check and its found nothing.

I'm even getting a slight grumble when sticking the foot down, prey its nothing to do with the turbo??? just hope a hose is split or something .... ???

I cleaned out my EGR valve/and Inlet control manifold flap and it helped with the idleing - Idles smooth but mines still a bit jerky due to the IMF being broke.....

Its a mornings work and you need to buy new seals and carb cleaner (£5 from Halfords) but if my IMF was in good working order, it would have worked a treat for me!

I'd advise anyone to give it a try as mine was blocked out with at least a cm of dirt and grime and my car also feels more quicker! The flap bearly moved there was so much grime in it.

Hope this helps

and there was me thinking these audis are relaible :( i hope this turns out to be a cheap easy fix. I've had mine unde Vdub diagnostics check and its found nothing.

I'm even getting a slight grumble when sticking the foot down, prey its nothing to do with the turbo??? just hope a hose is split or something .... ???

If it were a split hose, chances are the emission light would be on as the sensors are there to monitor the air mixture with the other gases!

My cars also has got a lot less "lag" now that the EGR valve/IMF are clean!

worse case scenario then, How is the turbo detectable of any faults without having the thing inspected, is it only a loud whistle or is there anything else that is noticeable.

I've got a slight grumble, which arises when im pushing the car (not literally ;)), not effecting the car, there's no fault readings. Just worried it could be realted to the turbo. I've heard of turbo's giving way and then knackering the entire engine :( ...... ?

Had this car less that a year, granted its an 04 plate but its only done 45k. Im starting to thing to sell it and buy a next new generic ford :sos:

If it were a split hose, chances are the emission light would be on as the sensors are there to monitor the air mixture with the other gases!

My cars also has got a lot less "lag" now that the EGR valve/IMF are clean!

How do you go about cleaning the EGR Valve/IMF? Is there a guide or possibly some pictures of it?
What sort of tools would I require?

Sorry for the questions, wanna try getting DIY

if you look on the tdi forum or the seat cupra forum under the tdi section there is loads of people who have done write ups will see if i can find the link:icon_thumright: