How long do you keep a car for??

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright chaps....

I'm currently specc-ing up a few options for my next car (which depending on the lease quotes i'm getting seems to change every day!!)

My main issue is whether a 2 or 3 year deal is more wise? Before, i've been able to just sell the car if i got bored but when you're tied into contract it's different...

So out of interest... how long on average do you guys keep a car for?

I usually keep mine for about a year till the insurance is up then change cars, otherwise i just get bored with it. I also think it depends on what car you have and how you like to drive.

I modify my cars so I keep them to get the most out of the mods - I have only ever had 3 cars and the only reasons I changed to the a3 were because I had money and I was bored of my slow, modified clio

I have had my A3 for 18months now and not bored of it one bit!

I'd go for 2 years, I cant see you getting attached. Two years is plenty for a lease car mate. Im usually looking at other models around the year mark, positively itching to change after 2.

My last 3 cars i have changed after 18 months, my current car is now 18 months old and I have itchy feet, I am currently being tempted by the dealer, but think I may leave it for 12 months. I always have good intensions and tell the wife I will keep this one for 3 yrs at least, she never believes me.

Mark

Same as L6ON, wouldn't go for longer than a 2 year deal...I've had my car a week today and I'm still checking other stuff out on Pistonheads...

Anything from2 to 4 years for me.Will be keeping the S3 for3 years, and I have no problem with that :arco:

I have kept my last 2 for just over a year each. You have to keep tax free cars for at least 12 months from registration in Germany. I then sell them ASAP as I'm losing money.

This is my last tax free car though and I love it so I intend to keep it for a while.

I guess it depends on the car hey? And like Boydie, if you're into modding then you'll keep it longer too.

Try to keep my cars for 2 year if possible, however if I can pay it off earlier than that then will often change before 2yr is up.

Hope to keep the S3 for a least 2 yr so I get my moneys worth. Im planning REVO and RNS-E which 1K+ mods which might keep me from changing too soon.
A fast growing 7 year old means that in 2yr I may need change to a 4 door anyway whether I like it or not.

had mine for 6 months now and already looking at other cars

i dont know why we do it

On the subject of lease cars.... I'm yet to get an answer from the leasing company but what happens if you want a change before the contract is up? Do you basically have to buy yourself out of the contract?

So far i'm definitely moving towards the 2 year contract. I can't really imagine keeping anything for 3 years!

Yes, you can buy yourself out of a lease.
I'm used to keeping cars for three years, because that's all the leasing companies used to offer.
I couldn't get a two year deal on the D3 either.
But, in principle, I would prefer a two year deal.
I get bored of cars so quickly, two years is perfect.
You will get the opportunity to extend it, if you can't bear to part with it.

Most companies still don't allow any less than 3 years on certain models. I was going for a BMW 335i/335d but the lease figures are OUTRAGEOUS. About £80 a month more than an Audi S5.... and thats without really ticking any options. Also, no one offers any less than 3 years on a 335i.

So this has brought me back to Audi. I have briefly considered the TT-S, it's a lovely motor but i can't justify the big premium over the S3 for very similar performance and less options. I'm getting some superb 2 year deals on the facelift S3 with plenty of options (bose, symphony, bucket seats, light pack, parking sensor, folding mirrors etc).
My only sticking point is the colour.... Basically it's Phantom or Ibis.

Anyway, looks like i'll be placing an order today and i'm told it's 8-10 weeks for delivery.

Ive genereally gone for 3 year deals as they worked out cheaper but if I could find it would go with a 2 year just as happily... wouldnt keep a car for longer than 3 years tho unless it was a supercar kinda thing!!

Anyway, looks like i'll be placing an order today and i'm told it's 8-10 weeks for delivery.

Glad i was right all along. You felt a little small in the pants with your regular 2.0 tfsi. Now you finally admitted to wanting a propper boys toy LOL :p

So you take back all those remarks about the S3 being chavvy now? Or have you converted to chavvdom? :eyebrows:

P.S. Dont take it to heart Dave, its friday, its the weekend :thumbsup:

Aaaaw, you'll regret not going RWD!
******* rain up here, so I switched off the TC this morning.
Big slide out of one quiet backroad left-hander.
Got my heart racing, had me grinning like a fool.
Excellent.

The good thing about ibis is it hides burd **** really well ;)

Gives it time to really burn in :)

9 years for me dont do many miles my current car I bought from new Integra Type R 1999 only done 37k miles strange cost me £23k 9 years ago !!! cars haven't really gone up in price down if in anything

You wont be getting a face lift S3 in 10 weeks time there are delays on the engines earliest delivery now is Dec/Jan dont let them fool you.....

I usually keep my cars 6 months!!!

Lease wise, 3 years is the norm, because the residuals on 3 years make the payments work out cheapest, however you can spec any time scale for a lease, but usually anything less wil be more money, unless it has manufacturers support in it, usally because they are not selling well - which won't be the 335!!

Mail me what you're after and I'l run it through the systems at work to see what it comes out at

You wont be getting a face lift S3 in 10 weeks time there are delays on the engines earliest delivery now is Dec/Jan dont let them fool you.....

Its not delays on the engines its the demand for the cars themselves!

The engine delay is the diesel A3's

Interesting I was told it was a few engines delaying orders S3 engine being one of them I sort of believe it as it changed from a October delivery date to Jan that is a big jump within a week, cant see any reason for sudden demand they didnt even have a Audi stand in London motor show which was poor. Anyway doesnt really matter what the reason just someone mention delivery dates in 10 weeks time for order placed now...I wish.........

Well I know of a few people who have placed orders for a S3 and their build week has stayed the same since the point of order having gone confirmed.

I get my lease finance over 3 years but only usually manage 2 years before changing cars, you can still sell your car on private anyhow by getting the buyer of yours to pay off the existing finance for you and then just give you any extra back.

I keep mine until something better comes on the market for similar money. So not changing the S3 yet then ......

I bought mine, not leased....
And I was bothered about the S3 but not anymore...

I don't set a timeframe to change car... for sure never change before 2 years... And I usually change when there is some money around for that and when I see someother car I would like...

I have kept cars for 6 years... Not worried following trends or driving a new car everyear... And although I don't give my cars away on time of sell.... I don't worry avout depreciation values or that... I just keep them until I don't want to drive them anymore... simple.

Pedro

so whats the best deal you had PNH80 - GR8newcar.co.uk by any chance???